Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Speeding up the weapon magnetizing...
Old 11 Aug 2009, 20:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Speeding up the weapon magnetizing...

How? I've magnetized one Carnifex already:

Yes, it's messy. I received it pre-owned with everything glued in place. Between the time it took to strip and clean the model, then X-Acto off the arms, completely disassemble it and pry open the carapace to magnetize the sucker (not to mention damage to my fingers from slicing and dicing it), it's way worth one's money to just buy a Carnifex new on sprue. That's beside the point, however. The four limbs attached to this guy are magnetized, and it took me a long, long time to cut down the arm joints so that they didn't jut out at weird angles when they were finally stuck into place. This involved much gluing and ungluing of rare earth magnets and more time than I think should be necessary to get them to look right.

This morning, I finished magnetizing my Hive Tyrant:

Who can recommend a quick way to set up the weapons for this guy? On the Carnifex I hacked away at the shoulder joint until I had a flat surface and then I glued the magnet to it. In online tutorials, people seem to like slicing off the shoulder, wadding some greenstuff on it and then pressing a magnet into the new joint. I can see how this makes it look cleaner, but I find that getting the angle right is just as much of a problem (as it's impossible to check the fit without the receptor magnet ripping the joint magnet out of the greenstuff.)

I know y'all have done some modeling. What do you suggest?
Old 12 Aug 2009, 03:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Speeding up the weapon magnetizing...

2 things that are really bugging me...
1) Carnifex is crooked.
2) Hive tyrant foot isn't in all the way.

But besides that...... not that I know of. magnetizing is a pain in the ass, and to be honest, the only thing that would be easier is if the Carnifex came with Snap-fit arms... which it doesn't.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2009, 04:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The Carnifex is supposed to have a more dynamic pose than the 'fex on the box.

If he looks 'crooked', maybe I didn't accentuate the movement enough.

Also, the Hive Tyrant isn't glued down - he's balancing on that peg stuck through the base because I'm not done with him yet.

I'm playing with greenstuff now. We'll see what happens.

Old 12 Aug 2009, 04:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

I think the pose looks good. I never magnetized myself as it always looked a bit more of a PITA than I wanted to work with. Good luck!
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2009, 05:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

When I magnetised my Fex the magnets I used were smaller than the shoulders. I think i got 2.5mm diameter magnets.
As such I just drilled a small hole into the shoulder socket and glued my magnet in.

Using the large magnets like you are, I can't see any other way but to re-build the shoulder with green stuff.
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2009, 23:40   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the input, guys. Here's the end result of a bit o' hard work:

I'm really happy with the way this second 'fex turned out! (Sorry about the picture quality, though.) I just finished assembling and priming over 3000 points of Eldar, and it's refreshing to be able to play fast and loose with the Tyranid kits.

I've magnetized everything that came in the Tyrant and Carnifex boxes, and by the end of the ordeal had sort of developed my own method. First, I'd stick an extra magnet to the one that was already in the the arm socket. I'd take a very small ball of greenstuff and smoosh it onto the clipped arm joint, and then I'd gently - and I mean gently! - smoosh the greenstuff'd end of the arm into the socket with the magnet. Then, I'd pull the arm out of the socket and voila! the greenstuff would have a rough indentation of where the magnet would need to be in order for the arm to fit however I'd positioned it when I'd dry-fit it. Glue the magnet to the greenstuff, flatten it out, etc. Done!

Looks good to me.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 15:23   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

1/8" magnets are the best - All you have to do is pick the angle and drill a 1/8" hole into the ball and in the socket deep enough to sink the magnet. A bit of superglue and some drying, and it's done. No Green stuff warping, no bits sticking out - the whole thing just pops right into the socket and stays there.

The magnets are quite cheap too - I picked up 100 of the little buggers for about $14CDN.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 09:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Perhaps this is taboo in the world futuristic world of 40k, but i just use blutak. Am i so wrong? Its alot less fiddly for basically the same result.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 23:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterofthecourt
Perhaps this is taboo in the world futuristic world of 40k, but i just use blutak. Am i so wrong? Its alot less fiddly for basically the same result.
Yes because they spelled Blue, and tack wrong, then combined it together as one word :P

Naw, whatever works for YOU is good. If you prefer blutak, then use it, and don't feel pressured into doing things a certain way.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 07:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to nidziller

I agree with jester, blue tack is great, and on my tyrant because I could'nt get the dum glue to work on the foot I put GT around it and it looks like his foots sunk into soft mud. It wiill look great when I sand the base!