Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can you put a price on annihilation?
Old 01 Aug 2009, 02:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Can you put a price on annihilation?

I certainly hope so. Earlier this year, I bought a lot of Tyranids under the foolish impression that I would be able to cultivate two armies - Tyranids in addition to my Eldar - in case a friend who didn't own any 40K wanted to play. HA.

Here's what I have:

HQ:

Broodlord
3x Tyranid Warriors
3x Tyranid Warriors

Troops:

21x Genestealers
8x Termagants
8x Hormagaunts
8x Spinegaunts
3x Make-Your-Own Gaunts (no arms glued to them)
3x Ripper Swarms

Fast Attack:

8x Gargoyles

Heavy:

Carnifex

Retail, it comes to about $341. Way back when, I even went to the trouble of stripping and cleaning these guys Ė looks pretty good overall. The plastic is still stained black in many places from previous primer, but itís flat and it wonít make any difference primed with black or white (this I know from experience.) Iím thinking about going 40% off, according to this great chart I found on Ebay:

New in box or on sprues: 25 - 30% off retail
Painted table top quality: 10 - 20% off retail
Painted above table top quality: 10% above retail - 10% off retail
Pro-painted: 20% above retail - retail
Poorly painted metal: 30 - 40% off retail
Poorly painted plastic: 50% or more off retail
Assembled well (bare plastic/metal or undercoated): 30 - 40% off retail
Assembled (bare plastic/metal) but may need attention or TLC: 35% - 40% or more off retail

So that lot goes for ~$205. Is that too much? Am I low-balling myself? I do have all the associated bitz as well.

Hereís an even tougher question. I also bought, brand-new!, the following:

Hive Tyrant
Carnifex
Carnifex
Box of gaunts
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

I donít want to turn around and sell them for %30 off, but what to do? Just keep them, the Broodlord and a few Genestealers from above, and hang on to them then buy another box of Guants or two if I ever decide to have a Tyranid army? Sell them all now? I quite clearly have no idea what Iím doing. Any assistance you could provide would be most appreciated!
Old 01 Aug 2009, 04:15   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Can you put a price on annihilation?

Any estimation of how many points this is, if you're up to it?
Old 01 Aug 2009, 08:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you are going to sell them but them on ebay with a starting bid of $250 and see where it goes, might go up to 400
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 15:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You should also decide whether to sell them all together or individually... selling together as one big army deal will attract different attention/pricing than selling them all individually. There's pros and cons to each, selling them all together as an army deal won't attract people who don't want to invest a lot of money in them, but selling them individually means you may wind up having to accept lower prices overall.

I'm no Ebay expert though, sorry I can't be of much assistance here...
Old 02 Aug 2009, 06:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've seen less points for more money than $250 on ebay, but i agree its a good starting point, Though i would probably try to sell the used pieces seperatley from the new ones, just so the price isn't reduced on the new models. I suggest looking at what other armies with a similar points cost are selling for, and how many hits they are getting.