Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyranid swarm or hive tyrant army
Old 31 Jul 2009, 07:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tyranid swarm or hive tyrant army

So recently at the local store there were 2 new people that joined that were pretty good at 40k. They both ran tyranids, one a swarm army and one had like 3 hive tyrants and 2 carnifexes or some weird number of big units. Anyways we all entered a tourney and they got last. I played against both of them with my necrons and was shocked since it was my first time playing tyranids. The swarm never got in cc with me except for genestealers outflanking but only 3 from 2 squads of 5 got to me(even though 3 was enough to kill my destroyers). When i went up against the other it was a little harder and he had a sniperfex (carnifex with big gun) taking out destroyers and the rest tried to assault, 1 of 4 assaulting made it to cc and took out a squad of warriors but they got their WBB because lord was next to them. With the swarm i got a turn 3 wipeout and with the other it was a turn 5 wipeout, both wins for me. So i was wondering, are tyranids good at a certain roll or are they better at some stuff than others, like whats their strengths and weaknesses. The matches got me interested. Also i would love to see a tyranid swarm army vs a ork swarm army sometime soon ;D
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2009, 15:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Tyranid swarm or hive tyrant army

Uhmm.... 3 Hive tyrants? I think you ought to tell that guy to stop cheating.

But against armies with lots of MCs, take heavy destroyers. At least 3 but preferably 6 :P . You hit on 3s wound on 2s and allow no armor save. Its great. The thing about Nidzilla lists, is that they have few units, but good stats, so just take better stuff and take them out.

For swarms, just take a lot of warriors and rapid fire their asses. Swarm lists typically have low saves (like, your basic Gauss Flayer/Bolt Gun) allows no save. The strength of swarms are that you (hopefully) dont get in enough wounds to kill them before they get to you.

For any nid army in general, Kill the synapse and any Carnifexs FIRST. Without synapse the underlings will go braindead.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2009, 15:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
Uhmm.... 3 Hive tyrants? I think you ought to tell that guy to stop cheating.
Was it Apocalypse or regular 40K??

If it was Regular 40K he was indeed cheating...unless it's a Tyrant with 2 guards (that would be legal).

If it was Apocalypse he can has as many tyrant he wants.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 04:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Played him again today, bit of mix up on what he used. He used 2 hive tyrants , 1 with retinue and 1 without. 2 zoanthropes, 2 carnifexes, and 2 squads of 7 genestealers, and think some little guys. Was a little confused because in the tourney he proxied (and yes the judge allowed it) 2 warriors as the retinue and all of it was just base coated black so carnifex and tyrant looked similar. And yes he did mention it was a nidzilla list, the tournament was 1500 points.

For the nidzilla list today we played dawn of war style so he put out a tyrant and 2 squads of gaunts. I got to go first so first turn my destroyers took out his hq so when he went to take leaderships for the 2 squads 1 failed and ran off the table while the other passed but got gunned down next turn. Genestealers came in and killed a squad of warriors but 7/10 got back up and the genestealers were gone, rest of army was taken down before it could assault.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 22:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Yay! I love killing the synapes... it makes me happy... I also like pinning the flyrant... thats good stuff...
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 07:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
Yay! I love killing the synapes... it makes me happy... I also like pinning the flyrant... thats good stuff...
You can't pin a tyrant. It is fearless, and thus immune to any leadership based tests... yes that includes pinning.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 23:44   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The Deciever can make a pretty school girl out of any fearless unit. Dont forget your pariah if you wanna do it right though.
FADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 15:34   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The Tyrant isn't 'fearless' per say. The only genuinely 'fearless' troops in the Tyranid army are the Lictors, Rippers and the Carnifex.

Tyrants are Synpase, and that means they automatically pass ANY leadership rolls called on to make. In CC it makes then subject to the 'No Retreat' rule much like Fearless.

- - -

Tyranid Swarm vs. Orks is FUN. A regular matchup for me is my Swarm versus my buddy's Ork mob. It is utter mayhem as the game starts, Boyz and Bugs are being swpt off the table by the handful as they shoot, then we meet in the middle and hack and bite at eachother until one gives up.

If you want a game to relax to, that's the game. No thought, just 'KILL!'
Old 15 Aug 2009, 16:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
The Tyrant isn't 'fearless' per say. The only genuinely 'fearless' troops in the Tyranid army are the Lictors, Rippers and the Carnifex.

Tyrants are Synpase, and that means they automatically pass ANY leadership rolls called on to make. In CC it makes then subject to the 'No Retreat' rule much like Fearless.

- - -

Tyranid Swarm vs. Orks is FUN. A regular matchup for me is my Swarm versus my buddy's Ork mob. It is utter mayhem as the game starts, Boyz and Bugs are being swpt off the table by the handful as they shoot, then we meet in the middle and hack and bite at eachother until one gives up.

If you want a game to relax to, that's the game. No thought, just 'KILL!'
Errr, it actually does say that the tyrant is fearless in it's profile.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 01:17   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well I'll be damned. Right; never mind me, I'm an idiot.