Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking of trying my hand at the great swarm...
Old 29 Jul 2009, 11:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Thinking of trying my hand at the great swarm...

Hey guys, been oh so long since I've been active on this forum >.<

Anyway, I currantly have a Eldar army coming along, and also 2 Chaos Rhinos and a few troops... For chaos obviously, and the codex, as I am going to start them up sometime aswell, but I wanted to try my luck with Tyranids.

Main reason I want to start up yet another army, is because... I hardly get to game so I guess you could say I'm mostly in it for the painting, even though I'd gladly have a game if I could, so I dont see the purpose of painting an army if your not completely interested in that army, which is why I like to stop and change, then change back eventually :P

So, what is one of the first things I should get? Please dont say any big box's, seeing you'll hopefully understand I'm not trying to really make an army...

I wouldn't mind some troops to paint up to see the colour scheme in sequence with other units, and also maybe something bigger, not sure on what.

Also, if anyone has a link to any sites with Tyranid fluff/lore, or they could give me some details on the basic stuff themselves, that would be great.

Ty ^.^
Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 16:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Thinking of trying my hand at the great swarm...

If you really want to paint, but don't want to paint the same thing over, and over, I'd suggest a carnifex. I've had a lot of fun painting mine.
If you want to test out a color scheme first, get the box of 3 or 5 gaunts. its meant to replace any lost ones, but its cheap, and perfect for testers (Just don't forget to name them afterwords ;D)
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 21:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
If you really want to paint, but don't want to paint the same thing over, and over, I'd suggest a carnifex. I've had a lot of fun painting mine.
If you want to test out a color scheme first, get the box of 3 or 5 gaunts. its meant to replace any lost ones, but its cheap, and perfect for testers (Just don't forget to name them afterwords ;D)
Thats a great idea for those Guants, didn't want to buy 16 of them straight up to paint anyway.

Carni will be my first buy ^.^ After reading one of the old old threads on this site, which also featured a great Tyranid scheme which I've chosen to go with.

Basicly red body, black carapace with grey linings, and green details. IMO it looks great ^.^
Old 29 Jul 2009, 22:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Mine is Purple with Badab black over it with a green carapce with lime yellow trims, but im starting to wonder if it really goods that good. I recently saw a wasp that was Orange with black trim on the "scale" looking things on the body and it had shiny blue wings and it looked really cool, I just dont know if it would work for 'nids.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 08:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well I actually just bought a Carnifex ^.^ I will be making it upto the point where the magnets go in, but thats my problem. I haven't got any magnets yet and I'm not sure when I'll be able to buy some, so, do you think I should build it to where the magnets will go, and start painting? The magnets will be in hidden place anyway so it probably wont effect the painting.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 20:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Paint it before assembly.
Then when you get magnets assemble it.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03 Aug 2009, 17:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Magnets: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

I magnitzed my crisis suits and I put the magnets in when I'm assembling the models. I assemble and then paint. If you are afraid a magnet might show, you can cover it with a thin layer of greenstuff and then paint over it.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2009, 22:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can also go to Mini War Gaming's website.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 20 Aug 2009, 17:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to nidziller

With tyranids, don't have a complex sheme, mine goblin green skin with enchanted blue carapace and claws! It looks ok, but the point is, two coluers is enough for small beasts.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 17:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What are you talking about! I'm going to highlight in 5 shades, make the eyes look like they glow, and go all out on my gaunts!

I mean, you should see my Rippers :P
Quote:
Quote: