Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gun fex w/ four devours
Old 15 Jul 2009, 14:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Gun fex w/ four devours

bought on ebay with a army ...... never it before ..... It is a cranifex with four devours.Any good or even legal??
Old 15 Jul 2009, 15:47   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Gun fex w/ four devours

'never it before'
'cranifex'
'devours'
'any good or even legal'

:-X
[hr]

Sorry, I'm not usually this picky...but please try to make your posts clearer, with proper spelling and grammar. 'Never it before' doesn't even make sense! :P

Here's what (I think) your post should look like if you want people to answer and take you seriously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obon80
I bought one of these on Ebay along with an army. I've never seen one before... it is a Carnifex armed with four Devourers. Is it likely to be any good in games, and is it even legal?
As to your actually query, I'm afraid I can't help, as I haven't played Nids since 3rd Edition! :-[
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

OK

I bought an army on eBay. In it there was a fex with 4 devourers for its arms. Didn't see it when I bought it. But, I was just wondering if it was legal or not. If it is legal how do you use it. (shotting wise)

I hope this post is better and I will be more careful. :-\

[hr]
Fixed it up a bit more for clarity/ease of reading. Thanks for being more careful. - Phage
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's much better Don't worry about it man, it just helps the rest of us when reading your post and makes it more professional. Win/win for everyone.

A Carnifex with 4 devourers is a legal build, and is actually a pretty effective one. It pumps out 8 high strength shots, where you can reroll to hit AND to wound... for a relatively cheap cost. I'd say it's a fine build, it actually used to be one of the staples of Nidzilla lists.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:32   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Also I guess unlike most armies shooty units it can still hold it's own in combat too, people aren't going to want to charge a Carnifex, even if it is just using guns! :P
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Spaces between your "." periods and the next sentence are useful as well, proper English sentences with correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar are part of the Forum Rules you agree to follow when you post here, as a newer member to the forum I would highly suggest reviewing those rules if you have not yet done so. That said, this is just a friendly reminder, don't take it hard and as long as you make the effort to be more careful in the future we're glad to have your contributions to the forum community.

Back to the topic though, yes 2x sets of Devourers is a legal Carnifex formation which is generally called a "Devilfex". The Devilfex usually is fielded as a cheap Elite Carnifex (under 115pts in a 1,500 pt game), or just a cheap Heavy Carnifex in lower point games, and is usually outfitted with the two twin-linked Devourers and the Enhanced Senses biomorph (look for the two antennae looking protrusions on its head) which grant a ballistic skill upgrade. It's a popular build because it can be fielded as an Elite, with a monstrous 8x Twin Linked Shots at S6 which also re-roll to wound - and it's still a Monstrous Creature if you have to put it into close combat which means it's wounds ignore Armor then, and it still rolls 2d6 for Armor Penetration, as well as enjoys a hefty Carnifex toughness for durability.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2009, 03:52   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Not fussy on the 18 inch range but so many shots and wounds is hard to sniff at. Hopefully with any luck it'll live long enough to close range and earn it's points back

Taking a couple might be a smart move if you can, you'd have a better chance at shredding infantry with some S6 shots; a bag full of insta-kills against the right army.
Sinister Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2009, 23:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

No one actually pointed out this, so i'm going to. 4 devourers is actually 2 twinlinked ones. Thats also how you model twinlinked weapons, with a set of them (one on each side)

Yes, 2 TL Devourers is very effective, but in my opinion, its best used on a hive tyrant. Instead of the 8 shots on the fex, you get 12 shots on the HT. You can put bigger, more powerful weapons on the fex, such as a barbed stranger.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2009, 06:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to nidziller

I've seen it used before and it's very effective at killing infantry.I thought that it was called a dakka fex but never mind your probably right.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 23:55   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Dakkafex (guess which 40K forum came up with that name?) and Devilfex are different names for the same thing. 8 tre-roll to hit re-roll to wound shots - very nice, generally you force 6 armour saves on the target unit.

It brings it's own torrent of fire.