Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?
Old 19 Jun 2009, 03:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

So as you all know Tyranid weapon symbiotes are one when you pay for them. However, you all know that the actual model has TWO of whatever the symbiote is. Now here's my question: If you take Lashwhip and Bonesword with Scything Talons, do you get 3 attacks + 1 for 2 close combat weapons (Lashwhip/bonesword) + for scything talons and ANOTHER +1 for having 2 individual scything talons.

The +1 for having 2 individual scything talons is probably a big "no" but the lashwhip and bonesword are under 2 different categories on page 31 of the Tyranid Codex.

Edit: Note this is for the Hive Tyrant
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 08:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

The only way that a Tyranid could get a bonus from a weapon is via scything talons. It's under the scything talons entry in our version of the "armoury". So a lash whip and bone sword do not give a bonus attack.

If I'm understanding your reasoning properly your argument is that you get +2 attacks for taking scything talons: (1) for the scything talons stating you get a bonus and (2) another for having two close combat weapons. However, the entry in scything talons only acknowledges that you will receive the bonus for having selected two close combat weapons; it does not say that picking this load out gives you an additional attack.

That's why people usually go with dual scything talons if you want more attacks in CC with the Tyrant.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

pikeZ33 is corect
Tyranids can only gain extra attacks by taking a pair of scything talons, and they gain +1 attack for each pair that they take e.g. a beast with 2 pairs of talons would have +2 attacks whilst if it had lash-wip, bonesword and a pair of talons it would only gain +1 attack
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 17:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just to back up everyone else even more, if you want to read it yourself then It's very clearly spelled out at the end of the Entry for Scything Talons on page 31 of the Tyranid Codex.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 00:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I figured not for the scything talons, but I was just curios about the Lashwhip and the Bonesword because they are two different weapons, but since you buy them as one, you don't get it. That's all I was asking.

I have another question though. If you deepstrike Spore Mines on enemy units do they explode or mishap? Also, do spore mines exploding on enemy units count for Kill Points?
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 03:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
I have another question though. If you deepstrike Spore Mines on enemy units do they explode or mishap? Also, do spore mines exploding on enemy units count for Kill Points?
The codex itself doesn't address mishaps from the deep strike, but the FAQ does. It says it explodes and causes pinning.

Regarding KP: It's my understanding that a cluster which explodes on deep striking does not count against you for a kill point. However, if you spawn a cluster because of a miss that cluster when killed is a KP--this is the same for both clusters purchased as fast attack, or ones fired out of a biovore. You might want to validate this by reading up on some other posts... some LGS's have house rulings on it as well.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 03:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I was debating this at my local GWS and the staff was 110% confident that they ARE killpoints, because 5th edition any unit is a KP (This included all the stupid stuff, like spore mines, rippers, scarabs, ect) BUT the spore mines launched from the biovore are NOT KP, due to the fact they are its ammunition and not bought as a fast attack.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 25 Jun 2009, 01:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I play them as worth a kill point due to them being an independent unit when deep striking them in and they explode on contact.

I play them as a kill point if I fire them from biovores and they scatter and do not hit their target and become a unit on the table and then die - but do not treat them as a kill point and only as ammunition if the biovores fire them and they explode on contact.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2009, 02:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So basically if it becomes a model on the field or in reserve its a KP?
Quote:
Quote: