Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?
Reply
Old 19 Jun 2009, 03:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 1,243
Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

So as you all know Tyranid weapon symbiotes are one when you pay for them. However, you all know that the actual model has TWO of whatever the symbiote is. Now here's my question: If you take Lashwhip and Bonesword with Scything Talons, do you get 3 attacks + 1 for 2 close combat weapons (Lashwhip/bonesword) + for scything talons and ANOTHER +1 for having 2 individual scything talons.

The +1 for having 2 individual scything talons is probably a big "no" but the lashwhip and bonesword are under 2 different categories on page 31 of the Tyranid Codex.

Edit: Note this is for the Hive Tyrant
__________________
VS Droids: W24/L24/T10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 08:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 247
Default Re: Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

The only way that a Tyranid could get a bonus from a weapon is via scything talons. It's under the scything talons entry in our version of the "armoury". So a lash whip and bone sword do not give a bonus attack.

If I'm understanding your reasoning properly your argument is that you get +2 attacks for taking scything talons: (1) for the scything talons stating you get a bonus and (2) another for having two close combat weapons. However, the entry in scything talons only acknowledges that you will receive the bonus for having selected two close combat weapons; it does not say that picking this load out gives you an additional attack.

That's why people usually go with dual scything talons if you want more attacks in CC with the Tyrant.
__________________
What the gakking feth ...
pikeZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In my Killkrooza, headin' for Earth!
Posts: 3,866
Default Re: Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

pikeZ33 is corect
Tyranids can only gain extra attacks by taking a pair of scything talons, and they gain +1 attack for each pair that they take e.g. a beast with 2 pairs of talons would have +2 attacks whilst if it had lash-wip, bonesword and a pair of talons it would only gain +1 attack
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 17:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 109
Default Re: Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

Just to back up everyone else even more, if you want to read it yourself then It's very clearly spelled out at the end of the Entry for Scything Talons on page 31 of the Tyranid Codex.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 00:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 1,243
Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

I figured not for the scything talons, but I was just curios about the Lashwhip and the Bonesword because they are two different weapons, but since you buy them as one, you don't get it. That's all I was asking.

I have another question though. If you deepstrike Spore Mines on enemy units do they explode or mishap? Also, do spore mines exploding on enemy units count for Kill Points?
__________________
VS Droids: W24/L24/T10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 03:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 247
Default Re: Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

Quote:
I have another question though. If you deepstrike Spore Mines on enemy units do they explode or mishap? Also, do spore mines exploding on enemy units count for Kill Points?
The codex itself doesn't address mishaps from the deep strike, but the FAQ does. It says it explodes and causes pinning.

Regarding KP: It's my understanding that a cluster which explodes on deep striking does not count against you for a kill point. However, if you spawn a cluster because of a miss that cluster when killed is a KP--this is the same for both clusters purchased as fast attack, or ones fired out of a biovore. You might want to validate this by reading up on some other posts... some LGS's have house rulings on it as well.
__________________
What the gakking feth ...
pikeZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 03:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 1,243
Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

I was debating this at my local GWS and the staff was 110% confident that they ARE killpoints, because 5th edition any unit is a KP (This included all the stupid stuff, like spore mines, rippers, scarabs, ect) BUT the spore mines launched from the biovore are NOT KP, due to the fact they are its ammunition and not bought as a fast attack.
__________________
VS Droids: W24/L24/T10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2009, 01:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

I play them as worth a kill point due to them being an independent unit when deep striking them in and they explode on contact.

I play them as a kill point if I fire them from biovores and they scatter and do not hit their target and become a unit on the table and then die - but do not treat them as a kill point and only as ammunition if the biovores fire them and they explode on contact.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2009, 02:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 1,243
Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Close Combat Weapon Cheese or Illigal?

So basically if it becomes a model on the field or in reserve its a KP?
__________________
VS Droids: W24/L24/T10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tyranid Close Combat Weapon Bonuses Tetrino Tyranids 6 15 Mar 2010 19:49
Madboyz + Combat Patrol = Cheese? Deadman42 Orks 11 29 Nov 2006 17:52
What is your favourite Close Combat Weapon? Stam Space Marines 42 26 Aug 2006 23:58
Close Combat? DragonR General 40K 15 07 Mar 2006 00:37
Best close combat weapon? RJay General 40K 30 16 Aug 2004 20:31