Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Facing sisters.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 06:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to copperdusk
Default Facing sisters.

I'm going to have my first real game of 40k ever, this sunday. I'm going to be playing against sisters. It's definetly going to be a low points game. I'm really nervous about it being my first game, but also I have no clue what to expect from sisters. Any unit or tactic advice would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal Ferret
chat is pretty much a run-on penis joke
copperdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Facing sisters.

Hey copperdusk good luck with the game, I'll try and give you as much good advice as I can.

Overview
Sisters of battle are very efficient at operating as a rapid strike force, they have the BS, save and the Almighty Bolter just as a marine does while being a bucket cheaper. Most SoB forces operate as a mechanised army or in my terms body bag groups. Standard SoB infantry can be equipted with the Meltagun, Multi Melta, Flamer or Heavy Flamer this is why most SoB players like to mechanise their infantry to take full effect of their special weapons and BS.

Now I'm not going to list completely everything as some things would be pointless for you to even read about, but I will give you some insight into how things work and how to react in some circumstances.

Fighting Sisters of Battle

As your playing tyranids your army is completely footslogging which is always a problem when versing a mechanised force (if your opponent is using one.) The best way to deal with Mechanised armies is to try your best to destroy or mutilate there tanks enough for their infantry to be forced out. Tyranids running all over the place trying to chase down tanks will not work effectively as your opponent has range mobility and the act of suprise, your infantry cannot move fast enough to counteract his vehicles. I suggest loading in some Fex's with a fair amount of fire power, Devourers usually make headway against light tanks because of their strength and overwhelming shot capacity, though their range is short so you will have to draw youself to the enemy before firing. Venom cannons can be a long range solution but heavy priced and very one sided in it's use. Another option would be Zoanthropes with warpblast or even a winged Hive Tyrant.

Your basic infantry still matter, once the a transport is marked redundant head in for the kill, but don't just throw your men into the grinder have a plan make your infantry work with your tank destroyers so when the enemies vehicle goes BANG!!! your there waiting to kill. The best units I can think of to use against a mechanised SoB force would be cheap as chips hormagaunts or spinegaunts.

Now there is always a possibility you can run into an unmounted SoB army which fills it's ranks with large groups of infantry. SoB are no pushover as I explained, they are deadly shooters and can withstand a punch. When in larger groups they can be deadly killers, once again it comes down to your Fex's to lead the assault or Infiltrator units to pincer such as Genestealers the Broodlord or even some gargoyles to molest isolated units. Make sure you keep your army together and to not throw your units at the enemy hoping his lines will relapse under the pressure. Make full use of your fex's fear factor and take down any isolated units, also make sure you have the ability to support your units through grouping.

Faithpoints

SoB have a special rule which allows most if not all units to use faithpoints these dandy things are one hell of a pain although they are limited according to the certain amount of specific units the opponent has. I'm not an SoB payer so I can't remember exactly. Faithpoints allow little bonuses if he rolls correctly to say (cast it) there are a variety and maybe if a SoB player reads this he can point them out for you. Though they can affect the users shooting, close combat abilities and even armour saves.

Sorry I would give you more help but I'm currently busy maybe later I'll finish up.

Cheers.

That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2009, 13:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Your best bet against sisters is to throw a bucket load of cheap attacks at them. Hormagaunts are a god send against sisters if you take care of them. Strength 4 hormagaunts wound them on 3's, and can force loads of saves. Then can also move then charge a total distance of 18-24" which cuts down on the use of flamers.

Faith powers are very very annoying, and one thing i would defiantly do is ask the opponent how many faiths points his army has, and record when he uses them. Ive been cheated before by sisters players who lei to me about faith, so makes sure it doesn't happen to you.

Anyway, ones you are likely to see used against you

Hand of the emperor- they might use this to put the hurt on your fexs and tyrants if he has eviserators in the unit. Make sure you kill these first if he uses it

Divine guidance- rending attacks. May use this to mass rend your warriors or genestealers, maybe the monstrous creatures. Not too much of a problem, but be aware of it.

Spirit of the martyr- really really annoying ability, means his save becomes invulnerable, so usually a 3+ inv save. This effectively rules out a fex IMO, unless its shooting, and same applies to hive tyrants.

The passion- Means he gets +2 initiative, basically he can strike before gaunts. Bear this in mind when you charge.

OK so that's faith. Just some general pointers

Avoid genestealers. They are very expensive, and are very likely to die, immolators would toast them while ignoring their cover. Avoid them this game

Hive tyrants should be main leader of your army. Give it wings and warpfield, and go shooting sisters. Id also recommend using it to charge down sisters tanks, so immolators and exorcists.

Troops wise, go for a mix of gaunts and hormagaunts, they can drown the sisters squads with a multitude of attacks.

Hug cover, its your best friend, but watch out to flamers

hope this helps

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2009, 17:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to copperdusk

Thanks guys! The only problems I see would be on my end. I currently have a very small army with no 'fexs or tyrants. I'm sure I won't be able to make a godly list out of what I have, but I'm going to use what I have to my best advantage.

One more question: Run gaunts in a few large units or in a bunch of small ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal Ferret
chat is pretty much a run-on penis joke
copperdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2009, 17:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah that completely depends on what mission you roll which is annoying. For objective based games you want small squads which cna hang back and hold objectives, but if you roll annihlation your handing your opponent easy kill points. I would go with larger squads, they make for a mroe devastating charge, and you can stick half on them in cover and still get a cover save.

Do you have any idea of what this player will be taking? Then we can give you some better advice

Old 19 Jun 2009, 08:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd would take a Carnifex in a normal sized game, but you'd be real mean to field one against someone in a low point game under 500 pts.

I've never played against sisters, but, as a general tactic against templates, try and keep your troops as spread out as possible while still maintaining coherency. Spreading them out to the point where a small pie will only score 1 hit on a hit roll for the scatter. Also, advance forward in a single rank toward the enemy, so that when the sisters pile out of their rhinos the flamer can't get a good hit off in any direction unless they're flanking the line.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 15:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Pies arent what you have to worry about against sisters. Its the strength 5 ap 4 heavy flamer that re rolls wounds and ignores cover you have to worry about

Old 20 Jun 2009, 19:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

The SoB are an odd army for us, because all of the sudden, biovores are useful (when used with bio-acid mines)! Since you have a nice long range, may fire indirectly, ignore power armor, wound on a 4+, and role 2D6 for armor penetration (glances front AV of Rhinos on a 3 and 4), you can really put a lot of pain to them. I would suggest that you check out the Multiple Barrage rules. They really aren't as bad as people say they are. If you hit, or have a good scatter, you can place the blasts right on top of each other, and get 3 hits on any given model! Really, for SoB, give biovores a chance.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote