Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broodlord: The OTHER Tyranid HQ
Old 05 Jun 2009, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Broodlord: The OTHER Tyranid HQ

The Broodlord and You

The Broodlord was the first metal model I ever purchased when I was first getting into 40k, nearing 4 years ago. Since then, the Broodlord has been with me in nearly every game my Tyranids ever played. I had a Broodlord for months before I ever touched a Flyrant, and the Broodlord has taken more than his fair share of lumps because of it. But I know I've become a better player for it, and nowadays I am proud of my Broodlord's accomplishments. He has ripped through two Hellhounds in one game, torn apart innumerable, squishy heavy weapons another, gone toe to toe with Necron Lords and Chaos daemons, and even laid down one of the most infamous Space Marine chapters of fluff, the Soul Drinkers, after personally killing Sarpedon.

In addition to this brutal reign of terror, however, the Broodlord has just as many embarrassing defeats at the hands of gun lines and Power Fists alike. I will not lie: the Broodlord is not for the feint of heart and does come with a noticeable learning curve. He's an absolute monster, don't get me wrong, but will die under any sort of sustained fire. Even a single turn caught out in the open can spell doom for him and his retinue; with only a 3+ save at best, and no invulnerable of any kind, he is very easy to kill with even the lighter spectrum of weaponry. This is why you must make sure the enemy never has a chance to shoot them at him.

I'll get into tactics later, but let's start where the battle always begins; with the writing of the army list.

[hr]

Broodlord Upgrades

Compared to other Tyranids, the Broodlord is fairly short on wargear and biomorphs. His weapons, in fact, are completely unchangeable, but he should never be considered weaker for it. The Broodlord's primary strengths come basic with him, no expensive upgrades required. Nevertheless, there are those to take, those to consider, and those to avoid.

Acid Maw - This upgrade is certainly not useless, but, between the price and other options, its effectiveness is questionable. Re-rolls to wound are brutal when Rending is involved, and the fact that it only works for the first round of combat is hardly a problem; his fights should not last much longer than that. However, the Broodlord, like other Tyranids, can only take one 'head' upgrade, so using Acid Maw prevents your Broodlord from taking Feeder Tendrils or Implant Attack, the former of which is very powerful and much cheaper. The Broodlord already has impressive Strength which can be increased via Toxin Sacs making this Acid Maw seem redundant. Generally, this should not be ruled out for your Broodlord, but it is far from a must-have item and the pros and cons should be carefully weighed before taking it. Personally, I'd stick with Feeder Tendrils

Adrenal Glands (+I) - The Broodlord's Initiative is prodigious, easily surpassing, at the very least, 90% of the units in the game. This upgrade takes the Broodlord's agility to a level near that of godliness and for a low price. The exact need for such a brutally high Initiative is questionable; you'll hardly ever make use of it. Still, it is cheap and if you have the points, then why not?

Extended Carapace (+Sv) - Though one of the Broodlord's more expensive upgrades, I do recommend it. The improvement from a 4+ to a power armor equivalent is infinitely useful and makes him much more durable versus most of the enemy's weapons, countering common favorites such as Heavy Bolters and Frag rockets.

Feeder Tendrils - Take it. Seriously, this is a must have on any self-respecting Broodlord since the Preferred Enemy rule change in 5th edition. The price cost is nominal, but the effects are brutal; a permanent ability to re-roll hits for him, his retinue, and any friendlies within a short range. Even the staunchest of defenses will fall when a joint strike, led by the Broodlord, is re-rolling each and every hit. Really, buy this.

Flesh Hooks - The #1 enemy of the Broodlord's amazing Initiative - cover. Flesh Hooks negate cover, acting like Frag Grenades. Cheap and useful; I recommend it.

Implant Attack - This ability is another contender for the 'head' slot of the Broodlord, along with Acid Maw and Feeder Tendrils. The ability is interesting, effectively doubling the amount of unsaved wounds enemy models take. However, its usefulness is debatable, as the Broodlord's recommended targets shouldn't have many wounds anyway! Personally, I'd stick with Feeder Tendrils.

Toxin Sacs - Expensive, but a Strength 6 Broodlord is enough to give even the Assault-y-est Space Marine pause. Wounds MEQs on 2s, combiend with Inhuman Strength, is a fearsome proposition, and the Strength of 6, combined with Rending, allowed the Broodlord is Penetrate even the sturdiest of rear tank armor. The price tag is something to consider, but the rewards are great; definitively something to look at if you have the points to spare.

And so we reach the end of the Broodlord's short, short list of biomorphs. Now, let's look at a few configurations.

[hr]

Budget Broodlord:

Broodlord w/ Feeder Tendrils
x5 Genestealers

= 153 points

This is the cheapest Broodlord out there, but remains a powerhouse. He can stand against many units but will really come into his own when Outflanking. Position him in the best location for a charge into juicy units like Devastators and Heavy Weapon Platoons, or static tanks for excellent rear armor hits.

The retinue is powerful, no doubt, but can also be thought of as ablative wounds for the Broodlord, who is the real life of the party...

I prefer to keep my retinues small for ease of use and to keep as discrete as possible, but maximizing the retinue size is always a powerful options if you have the points.

[hr]

Broodlord w/ Feeder Tendrils, Flesh Hooks, Extended Carapace
x6 Genestealer retinue w/ Flesh Hooks, Extended Carapace

= 212 points

More expensive, but this Broodlord can take the fight into cover and has better survivability to get there. This could be particularly fearsome with a larger retinue, but also a big fire magnet.

[hr]

Broodlord w/ Extended Carapace, Feeder Tendrils, Flesh Hooks, Toxin Sacs
x6 Genestealers w/ Scything Talons, Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks

= 246 points

This is my personal Broodlord that I use in my 1,850 army list. He's expensive, and cannot be wasted as he is a pretty big points sink. Nevertheless, he has not failed to impress me in most of the games in which he has been fielded. In this unit, the retinue is not simply ablative armor but a force in its own right.

I wouldn't recommend this Broodlord for the more competitive types, who might find other choices more economic, or for players new to the Broodlord as this one is only slightly less of a glass cannon, but I have enjoyed him immensely and he is rightly feared among my friends.

[hr]

Care and Feeding of Your Broodlord

First things first - deployment! The Broodlord's method of deployment in 4th edition was iffy and situational; Infiltrate was often hard to use and he would have to slog it across the map often, which is difficult given his lack of Fleet. Since 5th, this is a more appealing option due to Running, but Infiltrate is often overshadowed by something that I consider much more vicious:

OUTFLANK!

Outflanking if where the Broodlord really becomes a beast. Coming onto the board right in the enemy's deployment zone is just such a great opportunity that should not be passed up. Now, leaving your Broodlord's arrival up to the whims of the Dice Gods is not always the best of ideas and is probably the biggest reason NOT to Outflank your Broodlord., and as such the decision to leave him in reserve undertaken lightly. I, for one, run a single Lictor in my army list which virtual guarantees most of my reserves are going to hit the board running at the first chance or, at worst, second.

Whether Outflanking with your Broodlord or Infiltrating, always have a scheme in mind. Survey the enemy's deployment for isolated units to attack, areas of cover to dart between to get to said units, and units to avoid. The best targets are weak, expensive units that are not likely to move away from you. Units to avoid, however, are pretty much anything that can result in a prolonged engagement.

The Broodlord is a god of the melee, make no doubt about it, but he is primarily a burst damage character. He relies on getting stuck in, unleashing a fearsome number of power weapon attacks, letting his retinue mop up, and completely wiping the enemy out before they get a chance to attack back. Finish things up with consolidate into cover or out of enemy fields of fire and congratulate yourself on a job well done while simultaneously picking the next enemy to dash towards.

Anything that can survive such an assault is to be avoided. Even with a 3+ save and a handful of Genestealers for retinue, he lacks any Invulnerable save and is easy prey for close combat-oriented enemy characters and units who may weather the initial burst of attacks. Terminators may seem like fun targets due to your Rending attacks, but you will very likely regret putting your faith in too many natural 6s when half of the unit survives and Ta'uk'me slaps your Broodlord with a Power Fist to the face.

Any dedicated CC unit is generally a bad idea to mess with, from Howling Banshees to Assault Terminators. Some may be destroyed with ease but should be approached with caution, such as Assault Marines who are very likely to charge YOU before you can charge them. Vehicles with high rear armor are also worrying, as failure to destroy it leaves your Broodlord dangerously vulnerable, staring down the nozzles of a very angry tank.

Put simply, the Broodlord is not as durable as the Hive Tyrant or the Carnifex and requires care due to his added vulnerability. He cannot simply charge an enemy gun line and expect to get there in one piece, but must use his Outflanking or Infiltrating to its fullest in finding the optimal position to leap from assault to assault and cover to cover.

Again, you want to get in, brutally mutilate your opponent before he can strike back, and get out and off to safety. The Broodlord can easily be pulled down by Tactical Squads and Necrons, among other things, simply due to weight of attacks. The smaller and weaker the unit, the less likely to live and hurt you back, the better.

A player can be much more brave with his Broodlord once the game turns to it's later stages; by the time the Broodlord won't be on a solo mission but the rest of your Fleeting Tyranid army should have reached the enemy lines. In this stage of the game, I often switch him to a supportive melee character role, adding a much-needed 'oomph' to our Gaunts who may not kill the enemies units they are lock with which they are locked in combat. Giving your Broodlord Feeder Tendrils greatly magnifies this role as it allows him to massively buff any unit near him, making your lowly Tyranids that much more fearsome.

Also keep in mind, the Broodlord is a Synapse creature! This can actually be a great boon to your army in the later stages of the game if your Synapse web becomes broken. If your Broodlord is operating deep behind enemy lines, as he often should, then any unit that fails it's Instinctive Behavior test and falls back to the Broodlord will be running headlong at the enemy rather than away from them. Though not something to rely on, this can be a game-saving happening and can quickly turn an enemy's grin from destroying your Synapse into a grimace. This can be a saving grace in some games, so try not to overlook it.

[hr]

I hope this has aided fellow Hive Fleet commanders in the breeding and usage of their Broodlords. Though sometimes considered somewhat of a red-headed child compared to the Tyrant, by reading this I hope you've seen that he doesn't have an 0-1 limit for nothing and is a powerful force in skilled hands. Thanks for reading!

Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 02:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: Broodlord: The OTHER Tyranid HQ

Excellent write up Droids.

+1
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 03:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Now I know to beware of Brood Lords. I will be sure to try to come with effective stradegies to kill them in the distant future. ;D

Thanks Droids_Rule!

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 18:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks, Gada.

Zoron, I may expand this with anti-Broodlord tactics, though it is sort of already covered; the things that I recommend the Broodlord avoid are just the sort of things you want to push into combat with him.

Most simply, you want to shoot him a fair amount. A lot of light arms fire can do the trick, though a few heavier weapons can do the trick as well due to his retinue's best save of 4+ and his best save of 3+. Heavy Bolters, Plasma Cannons, are just about any Pulse weapon does the trick.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 00:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

You should totally assault my monolith because if you don't kill it I can use the Gauss Flux Arc on you :P
AP 3 = Bye bye Broodlord.
(Oh and, just for the record, NOT upgrading the Broodlords' Save to a 3+ is a BAD Idea. Space marines are one of the most common armies, and the basic boltgun has an AP of 4)
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 00:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

No, I would never assault a Monolith with a Broodlord. Primarily because it was be utterly impossible to kill it, for I believe the Monolith nullifies Rending, like it nullifies... just about everything.

However, a Bolter/Boltgun is but AP 5. I'd still always take the +Sv upgrade for other reasons, but the Bolter is not one of them.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 00:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I figured and I was kidding anyway. And I though the Bolter had AP 4, but I haven't played them since I started Warhammer.

But a broodlord against Necrons is Debatable, because Gauss Flux is AP 3 as well as the Particle whip. Also killing a lot in CC wont do much because I play my 'Crons with a lord and Rez Orb in the middle of 4 units of warriors (2X2 of warrior units and the lord in the middle) so they all get WBB, and teleporting them through the monolith portal lets you re-roll failed WBB. Then theres your broodlord, in front of 3 (possibly 4) units of very annoyed warriors. Most people take units of 10 so that's 60 shots hitting on a 3+.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 12:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

getting wbb doesnt mean you roll good dice. Second point, the BL isn't the only piece in the army. 2x2 units+lord in points is easily overrun by the same points of nids in CC, so the BL with feeder tendrils will wreck havock within necron lines :P
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 13:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh no doubt, but it would only do much damage in the first turn because you can pull your warriors out of CC though the Monolith portal.
Nids vs Necrons is a bloody battle no matter what anyway :P
Quote:
Quote:
Old 21 Jun 2009, 13:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I find the Broodlord excellent anti-Necron, particuler if you make use of Outflank. Let's face it, the Res Orb and/or Monolith can't be everywhere at once. Besides, even if there is an Orb, the Broodlord and his retinue still totally outclass just about anything the Necrons can throw at you.

Not that what he uses against you matters; with Outflank, YOU should be picking the fights, and the best targets are just about any of the common units: Warriors, Immortals, or Destroyers are terrible in CC and expensive in points, so your Broodlord can quickly make back his points and then some!