Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broodlord- independant character vs retinue
Old 29 May 2009, 09:52   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Broodlord- independant character vs retinue

I feel incredibly stupid asking this as i have been a tyranid player for the past year. I am curious as to if the tyranid broodlord can be run without a retinue. Looking at the codex tells my mind no however the rule for independent characters in the 5th ed rules makes me wonder. (im sorry if this post stupifies the board
Darkravener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 10:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Broodlord- independant character vs retinue

If the Broodlords retinue is killed then he may run as normal for an infantry model but he can't assault after running because he has no fleet.
If the Broodlord has a retinue that's alive then he and his retinue may run but may NOT assault because the Broodlord himself doesn't have fleet (also, his retinue can't charge either after running if the Broodlord is still alive)
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 10:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i had deduced that much from the books what im questioning is if a broodlord can be placed on the table devoid of retinue, i grow tired of slowing down my units but i love the carnality of the broodlord
Old 29 May 2009, 11:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

A Broodlord MUST have a retinue and MUST stay attached to it at all times, this is the same with all characters and their retinues including the Hive Tyrant and his Tyrant Guard.
If you want to use a Broodlord more efectivley then you can keep him and his retinue in reserve and then outflank him directly behind your oponent or just give him a larger retinue that has extended carapace
Old 29 May 2009, 11:23   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i have been using the suggested tactics for the past month now and am not impressed with the way it is working. and unlike the hive tyrant the broodlord is an independent character so the retinue rulles can be a bit different as a broodlord can join a squad once his retinue dies
Old 29 May 2009, 11:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, a Broodlord can join a different squad after his retinue dies.
The Hive Tyrant is the "odd-one out" when it comes to retinues because it can't go and join another unit if it loses its retinue.

Best Stealer tactic:
Give them Extended Carapace

Worst Stealer tactic:
Not giving them extended Carapace
Old 29 May 2009, 11:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkravener
i have been using the suggested tactics for the past month now and am not impressed with the way it is working. and unlike the hive tyrant the broodlord is an independent character so the retinue rulles can be a bit different as a broodlord can join a squad once his retinue dies
I thought an independent character with a retinue counts as an upgrade Sergent? So it would exactly as the tyrant and his guard if this is the case.

Why isn't it working for you exactly?

cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 14:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

How wide is the board that you use to battle on? It may be because your opponent is pushing his army into the centre of the board. If im correct, try to charge him striaght in the center of your army so he will tend to move his squads closer to the board edge to stay out of combat with units charging up the middle. This should help your Broodlord be closer to getting into combat when he outflanks.
Old 29 May 2009, 23:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Broodlord has Infiltrate; Outflank with him! Ever since 5th edition the Broodlord has become a beast due to the ability to run and to Outflank. I have not been disappointed in mine in the past half dozen games I've played with him.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 17:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to nidziller

Why not give him as little genestealers as possible, with no upgrads, and just use them them as meat shields. While all the other stealers out flank he can infiltrate and all of the other stealers will be dead(the ones with the broolord).