Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tyrant guard questions
Old 19 May 2009, 02:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default tyrant guard questions

Howdy guys, i hjave afew small questions that im some-what concerned about and am hoping i can get some nice and easy answers! thanks!

1) Tyrant guard are able to get Lash Whips for weapons. How does one GET them? I looked at the blister packs at my local store, none of which have whips inside, all were scything talons. *i say this because i know some models are randomly packaged, such as kroot shaper with pulse rifle/kroot rifle*

2) in the Codex, under the Special Rules *Tyrant Guard* the 2nd sentence in states "The tyrant guard form a retinue with the hive tyrant (the unit still deploys as a Monstrous Creature)."

Does that sentence mean the Hive tyrant *AND* his tyrant guard friends are all considered Monstrous Creatures? (still no armor saves and +d6 against vehicles, etc...?)
skippy35671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 02:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001
Default Re: tyrant guard questions

I can't answer your first question, since I never personally bother with Tyrant Guard. However I can answer the second one.

The answers no. What it means is that the unit is merely DEPLOYED as a Monstrous Creature. The reason this is stated is because certain game modes state that certain units are kept in reserve at the start of the game. This keeps the Guard and Tyrant together when rolling for reserves and what goes into reserves based on the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Mage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ah ok... makes sense then. i wasnt thinking of issues with units in reserve and such.

now maybe if anyone can help with that first one

same thing with warriors too. if i wanted to make a completely close-combat warrior squad (3 come in a box) you get ONE pair of crushing claws.... kind of lame if you ask me. But then again, could always Green Stuff a pair of them couldnt i?
Old 19 May 2009, 03:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This was a throwback to OLD Tyrant Guard models (3rd, early 4th Edition) that existed. They were really ugly in my opinion, but they had rending claws, shields, and lash whips. That rule was included so that those models were still legal, as well as the new ones that have rending claws and scything talons. This way older Tyranid players wouldn't get frustrated that their old models were useless with the new rules

If you search around on Ebay/online you can probably find some of the older models with lash whips. If not, it probably wouldn't be the hardest thing to convert with some green stuff.
Old 19 May 2009, 16:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy35671
1) Tyrant guard are able to get Lash Whips for weapons. How does one GET them? I looked at the blister packs at my local store, none of which have whips inside, all were scything talons. *i say this because i know some models are randomly packaged, such as kroot shaper with pulse rifle/kroot rifle
I don't think I'm going to be modeling mine with lash whips, but I think Green stuff, maybe on a wire frame is likely your best option.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 22:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

oh, i should have spoken up sooner... i dont want lash whips, was just curious as to HOW to get them! thats all, incase i wanted to or something.

id rather have +1 attacks, than -1 on my opponents. (+1 attack means just 1 more shot at getting a rending hit!) makes sense to me!
Old 20 May 2009, 11:44   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy35671
Howdy guys, i hjave afew small questions that im some-what concerned about and am hoping i can get some nice and easy answers! thanks!

1) Tyrant guard are able to get Lash Whips for weapons. How does one GET them? I looked at the blister packs at my local store, none of which have whips inside, all were scything talons. *i say this because i know some models are randomly packaged, such as kroot shaper with pulse rifle/kroot rifle*

2) in the Codex, under the Special Rules *Tyrant Guard* the 2nd sentence in states "The tyrant guard form a retinue with the hive tyrant (the unit still deploys as a Monstrous Creature)."

Does that sentence mean the Hive tyrant *AND* his tyrant guard friends are all considered Monstrous Creatures? (still no armor saves and +d6 against vehicles, etc...?)

1) No idea, I guess you'd need to do some converting with Chaos bits i.e. tentacles?

2) As Mage states Tyrant Guard are not Monstrous Creatures themselves and I think the codex reference is a throw back to 4th edition deployment (when you did it unit by unit). So, sadly they don't have power weapons or 2d6 armour penetration but they can claim cover saves like an other infantry unit and can by virtue of the "50% of a unit in cover" rule bestow a cover save onto the Hive Tyrant itself- which (sort of) puts the HT on par with Eldar Avatars.

Hope this helps.
Kraken up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 13:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The eldar avatar can't have a retinue or join units whilst Tyrants can.
In 4th edition units deployed by chart selection (i.e. Heavy Suport; Troops; Elites; HQ; Fast Attack) and not by unit type (i.e. monstrous creatures; infantry; jump infantry; veichle etc, etc)
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 11:43   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sorck
The eldar avatar can't have a retinue or join units whilst Tyrants can.
In 4th edition units deployed by chart selection (i.e. Heavy Suport; Troops; Elites; HQ; Fast Attack) and not by unit type (i.e. monstrous creatures; infantry; jump infantry; veichle etc, etc)
Probably should have explained my thinking:
Re: Avatar it has a 4+ invulernable save and is a MC, Tyrants with guard can get 4+ cover save (sort of invulnerable!) and are MCs.
Re: deployment, I also remember the rules very well and of course your recounting is correct. However, the Nids codex came out C. July 2005 during 4th ed so I am assuming by mentioning "Deploy only as a MC" GW meant its still deployed in the HQ order of deployment- but only Phil Kelly knows what he really meant when he wrote that bit!!!

Kraken up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 16:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Tyrant doesn't get a 4+ cover save from his guard, unfortunately. They're one unit, so they can't give each other mutual cover bonuses. The Guard are essentially ablative wounds that help keep the Tyrant alive by soaking up shots.

As for the second point, I seem to recall certain 4th Edition game modes restricting when Monstrous Creatures could deploy and such. There were so many back then, especially in the suplements that it was a useful little blurb to have thrown in just in case.