Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Field report: Shooting heavy Tyranids
Old 24 Apr 2009, 14:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Field report: Shooting heavy Tyranids

Months have passed since reading several tactica posted by member on this forum. During those months I took those tactica, mathhammer calculations and strategies into consideration and fielded an above average shooting army for the Tyranids (imo). Last weekend I finally got to use that list. I highlight a few interesting points for discussion.

This list was engineered toward being effective against MEQ, and was playing against a Blood Angels opponent. A summarized list includes, a squad of spinegaunts, hormogaunts and rippers; flyrant DL-Devx2, Warrior squad with TLDS/DS-ST/BS-ST, and one with ST-RCx2/Stx2. Three carnifexes were inlcuded, the only one of note is the 'sniperfex' with BS and VC. 2 Zoanthropes were also included, one was synapse, one psychic scream.

My Flyrant unfortunately did not get to shoot (Dawn of war nightfight killed his first and only chance to shoot before the Death company and Assault marines got to him). I will have to re-try.

the shooting warrior squad, I had remembered being statistically very effective, especially the TL-DS. In this experience however I found it to be a little overkill. I already was wounding on a 2+, re-rolling that to wound was not very effective, and I think the points may have been better spent. Perhaps even spare the toxin sacs if they are twinlinked, maybe that would be more sensible. I am not bashing the DS on warriors though, they seriously reduced the pompous strut that most marines have when going to an objective. they cost around 33 points each, which I deemed acceptable for their performance potential.

The Sniperfex sounds good when you say it, but that combination proved this battle to be quite onerous. While the BS and VC are both high strength weapons, their uses I have found are quite varied, and rarely did I want to fire both at the same target. In fact, the BS sometimes ended up as a hindrance as the targets I really wanted to hit were near my troops, on the objective. In the future, I must consider more thoroughly the use and placement of this beast, he scared things in the open, but once they got close to my guys it was a liability.

The particular marine player I was against hit my synapse hard, killing the tyrant first turn as well as most of my combat warrior squad, leaving me with only ranged synapse to support my melee troops on objectives, it was quite difficult.

At the end of it all my 'fortifex' (a huge point sink, basically had all the fixins) constested one objective, the other CC fex tied up several marines from the middle objective held by my rippers, and the spinegaunts held the final one near my ranged fire support (zoanthrope, warriors). I was very close to losing synapse on my rippers though.

Some Self criticism for discussion. troops, I don't have many, and also not a whole lot of CC synapse for them perhaps? Poor choice of weapon selection on ranged fex. Flyrant, what is his role? perhaps I went to offensive, but then what are tryanids for if not to get in and do damage. perhaps I play them too similar to my Tau. I think my army lacks purpose as a whole, there are too many grinding gears.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 11:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to nidziller
Default Re: Field report: Shooting heavy Tyranids

If you want shooty heavy army, that dosent mean every nid should be shooty. Genestealers will scout out and rip apart terminaters, and other infantry units that are hard to kill at range and with a broodlord they can be great at weakening the enemy, soaking up shots as your opponent quikly forgets your flyrant. They can also support your flyrant As he will likely die if he is left unsupported. For extra firepower use biovores simply because of their much needed range and varied amo. People don't like them because of any missed spore mines can be killed easy a can get easy kill points. My answer to this is simple, insist on playing annililate!
Old 26 Apr 2009, 07:14   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I field a shooty swarm myself, and I've come to love it just as much as my opponents fear it. Even facing off against it multiple times, MEq armies can rarely survive it. The trick is not to bother with lots of Big Strength shots but a whole lot of little ones, Death by a Thousand Cuts.

My 1200 point list is as follows:

Devil tyrant + 1 Tyrant Guard
3 Devil Warriors
24 Devil Gaunts (+S)
16 Hormagaunts (+WS, +I, +S)
6 Ripper Bases
3 Zoanthropes (Warp Blast, Synapse)
1 Sniperfex (EC, ES, VC, BS, RC, Tusked)

Extremely effective against Marine armies, but suffer again Gunlines like tau and Guard (Especially the new Guard... they roasted me but good.)

- - - - - -

Devil Flyrant
The particular enemies you were fighting could have called for a slightly different approach on some of your army. As you noticed, a Devil Tyrant is easy prey for fast-moving rending squads like the Death Company. Devil Shots would also have very little effect on them, due to the Feel No Pain rule. a Scything Tyrant with a full brood of Tyrant Guards would have stomped them into paste, though. No Saves against MC hit or Rending. Put some Lash Whips on the Guards and run them at the front and all the models in contact with them lose an attack.

Devil Tyrants are horrifically effective, but I find they need to hang back with the rest of the army. They can do some nasty CC work, but only if they have the advantage.

The Sniperfex
It lacks the AP necessary to really open up marines, but the high-strength wepaonry can do their damage. They'll insta-kill anyMarine boss, for starters. Myself, I use my Sniperfex to keep enemy Armour from shooting. the VC is powerful enough to usually knock out a weapon or give a good shaken result, and every now and then the BS can pop something completely.
If you find you weren't getting the best effect out of the BS, try aiming it at enemy armour that is close to other enemy units. If it drifts, at least there's a chance you can hit something else with it.

Synapse Nodes
Warriors are soft Synapse and are best used as backup. As above, I focus on having a full brood of Zoanthropes, equipped with Warp Blast and Synapse. I find Zoans to be the very best you can get for Synapse, and they are my main source of it, backed up with my Warriors and my Tyrant. They are hard targets, too - I find my opponents like to empty magazines at them and watch dejectedly as it all bounces off the 2+ armour save. While the Big guns can hurt them, they are often too busy firing at the Tyrant and Sniperfex. Warp Blast, while unreliable, can be extremely nice when they work out. Dropping small AP3 templates around put a serious cramp on Marine player's invincibility complexes.

Rippers
Rippers don't need Synapse, except to avoid being Insta-killed.

- - - - - -

While they are point-heavy, if you want to field a Shooty list, put in Devil gaunts with Toxin Sacs. Theya re 10 points a model, but they have Assault 2 weapons with 18" range, making them much more survivable and dangerous than termagaunts or Spinegaunts. The weapon is only S3, but you fire two shots per gaunt and can re-roll to wound. it is not uncommon for my brood of 16 Devl gaunts to inflict 8-12 wounds on a Marine squad. They might have a good save, sure, but they'll fail some. Against softer armies it turns into overkill in a hurry.

I geared my list around eating MEqs and I find it does an extremely good job. My Shooting bugs can unload streams of death at range, and when the enemy's CC units get close, I have a brood of 16 Hormagaunts that I keep well back from the frontline just for such an occasion; 48 attacks at WS5, I5 and S4 running into a squad of Marines rarely goes well for those Power Armour SISSIES. Doubly so if they are softened up a little beforehand with some Devil gaunt shooting.

The point level was telling as well, I think. The point-to-bug ratio was a bit out, not enough numbers to do what was needed and too few targets to be faced off against. It was no help that a 200 point MC was taken down in the first turn either, no doubt there.

Still, it was a first time fielding a Shooty Swarm, right? Now it's time to adjust and use what you learned.

Adapt. Evolve. Destroy.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 14:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nidziller: I do have a 'reserve' of genestealers as well as a broodlord. One of the primary units that initially interested me WAS the genestealer. WHen I get around to playing again, they will definitely be included. As well I tend to favor playing objective based games over annihilate, a personal preference.

Rampage: 'Sniperfex': I did try and nail that chaplain once he had lost his Death Company, He rolled well.
Rippers: Yes, I was trying to avoid the instant death, I wanted to hold the objective.
Zoanthrope: I went into the battle thinking they were marine killers. While suited to kill marines I now agree with you that they perhaps re unreliable, which is fine as long as I don't have false expectations.
Yes, it was my first time playing Tyranids flat out. As indicated I play a few other armies, I was in fact facing my very own Blood Angels, a tried and trusted list with a few new experiments.

Your tactic for hormagaunts seems especially interesting, I used a similar tactic with my Necron Wraiths as a counter charge unit to save any shooters from CC death; why I didn't see this analogous parallel to gaunts is beyond me.

Thanks to both of you, When I get to playing a game again, in who knows how long, it will hopefully be a crushing victory.

Rampage: (as a side-note, I played the new guard against said necrons. I find that the 'orders' would have been annoying had I had either big things (MC) or little things in cover (gaunts). The ability to *ignore* some cover when sniping and twin-link rocket launchers would have hurt.)
Old 27 Apr 2009, 19:30   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I can say with the absolute certainty of someone who was on the business end of Twin-Link lascannon squads... that Orders are devastating.
With some backup from a Heavy Bolter team and two Leman Russ, he knocked out my Devil Tyrant -AND- my Sniperfex by the bottom of turn 2.

After that, I was just target practice, heh.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 06:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
he shooting warrior squad, I had remembered being statistically very effective, especially the TL-DS. In this experience however I found it to be a little overkill. I already was wounding on a 2+, re-rolling that to wound was not very effective
- Mmmm dude what do you mean by re-rolling to wound with a TL-Deathspitter??? Deathspitters don't get to re-roll to wound.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 17:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

They
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
Quote:
he shooting warrior squad, I had remembered being statistically very effective, especially the TL-DS. In this experience however I found it to be a little overkill. I already was wounding on a 2+, re-rolling that to wound was not very effective
- Mmmm dude what do you mean by re-rolling to wound with a TL-Deathspitter??? Deathspitters don't get to re-roll to wound.
But twinlinked template weapons do, I realize it isn't living ammo.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 00:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
They
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
Quote:
But twinlinked template weapons do, I realize it isn't living ammo.
And yet the death spitter is a blast weapon not template.

template = flamer

there's rules for twin-linked blast weapons bro. you re-roll your scatter and keep the 2nd result if u dont like the first roll.
Old 04 May 2009, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I had been doing that before the local redshirt told me to stop, I assumed he was right.
Old 04 May 2009, 21:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
I had been doing that before the local redshirt told me to stop, I assumed he was right.
Never assume in this game. :P Always have someone back up what they say by rules.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote