Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tactica broodlord
Old 10 Apr 2009, 17:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to nidziller
Default tactica broodlord

The broodlord is extreamly good in combat, but has some problems which need to be avoided. Although he may seem invincible when locked in combat with a brood of pimped up genestealers, this unit is very vunerable while in the opan as neither genestealers nor the broodlord have guns. A big problem is that the genestealers are faster than the broodlord and he often gets left behind, and if the genestealers go ahead and sink their teeth in those terminators that are just out of range from your broodlord, he will be at the mercey of your opponants fire. If there is'nt a unit nearby that is in range head for cover, or if you want to risk it, charge straight towards the enemy preferably to stronger units. If given the choice, go for the unit that has the best armour(terminators) the broodlord and his retinue have rending and will ignore those anoying 2+ saves. Just watch your opponants face as his best squad gets ripped apart and destroyed in two rounds! You might also want to go for larger units(but nothing over twenty modals, and do not try this with orks) as it will last longer and you will have more time not being shot at, although you should be care full what you choose to charge if your using this tactic. You may want to take more than one HQ, as your broodlord will die, after you kill through a couple of squads your opponant will focus on him. But by then he will remember the massive swarm that outnumbered him 3 to 1 at the begining of the game that is now right next to his wounded forces and prepairs for defeat...
Old 10 Apr 2009, 17:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: tactica broodlord

As I said earlier, not a bad tactica, but you tend to keep it too broad and too general and you might wnat to work out on your formating and spelling(I count a good 5-6 mistakes: As i said earlier use the spell checker).

For exemple: If you look back at Canabebe Tactica in your other post you can see what I mean.

He uses a title in bold; subtitle in italic; spaces thing about and gives specific detail.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you with a few pointers to help make your tactica more enjoyable to read.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 17:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

lol my pc blocks spellcheck.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
A big problem is that the genestealers are faster than the broodlord and he often gets left behind
He has to stay with his retinue. They all get left behind. It is not the same as joining and then leaving a unit.

You could go into more detail of how a Broodlord and company are deployed onto the table, the inability of the squad to get a first turn charge, what are the best upgrades for him and his retinue and optimum squad sizes. Your Broodlord will most likely die as you say so why are you taking him? What are the tactical advantages of using him? I'm not going to write up another tactica, lol, but I'm sure you could expand a bit on what you started.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 20:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the advice canababe. But he can leave his retinue, he's an independant character! I know he's going to die but he and the genestealers kill about three times their points beforehand and soaks up lots of firepower that would be otherwise be harming my swarm. The perfect scout force and great on kill points missions. I no I missed out on some stats but I'm just giving you an idea on how it could be played as an intro. stats and details are for the discussion.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 20:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidziller
Thanks for the advice canababe. But he can leeve his retinue, he's an independant character! I know he's going to die but he and the genestealers kill about three times their points beforehand and soaks up lots of firepower that would be otherwise be harming my swarm. The perfect scout force and great on kill points missions. I no I missed out on some stats but I'm just giing you an idea on how it could be playedas an into. stats are for the discussion.
Nope, he cannot. An IC with a retinue loses his IC status as long as the Retinue lives. It has been like that in 4th ed too. So a broodlord cannot leave his retinue, but becomes an IC once they are all dead though.

The other downside is that the Broodlord is worth 2KP (1 for him and 1 for the retinue).

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 20:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Also, avoid "txt speak" and words such as "ur" and "lol." We encourage the use of proper english on these boards.

If you have any questions you are more than welcome to ask. Feel free to shoot me a PM(private message) if you have any after reading the forum rules.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 22:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Also, avoid "txt speak" and words such as "ur" and "lol." We encourage the use of proper english on these boards.
My apologies. Here is what we mean by more depth nidziller - bear in mind this is not a critique of your efforts. I admire your willingness to jump in and contribute.

General Overview

Powerful, relatively cheap, and synapse ( remember creatures out of synapse can move towards him ). Because he cannot assault until turn two hew needs support to avoid getting shot to bits and he needs cover. Never fear. Lock down his target with rippers, hormogaunts, etc. He can then join the fray.
He quitessially Tyranid. He is a dangerous unit that plays to the Tyranid strength - flooding your opponent with too many threats to deal with adequately.

A sneaky use

Use the Broodlord and retinue creatively. Be aware the whole group looses fleet and needs cover and support. We can only contest objectives with this squad. Don't think that you could revert back to troops if the Broodlord
is killed ( I have seen a player assign a lot of plasma shots to a Broodlord to kill him off. He did benefit in this case because the retinue then had fleet and assaulted the attackers but they were still not troops.

One use that is commonly seen for the Broodlord is in a stealer shock army where half the squads outflank. A Broodlord, squads of Stealers and a lictor or two can be a very nice army at lower point levels - up to 1500 points. So we almost always want to infiltrate the BL and retinue behind cover and then wait for support.

Squad sizes

We need to stick these boys in cover and we also want to make sure they will do damage when they assault. It seems that 5-8 genestealers fit this mould nicely depending on the size of the game and the points you have to spend.

As to how we equip them ... bearing in mind how we wish to use and deploy them.

Toxin Sacs are nice but probably not strictly necessary. I like the Broodlord with feeder tendrils for preferred enemy and flesh hooks to keep initiative. The retinue then needs only flesh hooks. You could add scything talons for attacks or extended carapace to help with bolter fire but we do want to minimize upgrades as points might be better spent elsewhere.

Many players keep the Broodlord's genestealer retinue as basic as possible. Broodlords will attract a lot of attention and it would be a shame to lose 270 points of stealers to one or two torrents of heavy fire. Toxin Sacs for tank hunting is nice on your BL but not strictly required. Only flesh hooks and feeder tendrils seem to be almost automatic.

Again this is just a start. I welcome your feedback nidzilla and please feel comfortable expanding on these ideas as this is still a fairly broad framework.

Also welcome to the boards
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2009, 09:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you I now understand what you mean by broad, but that was just a intro, In always put more detail into the discussion afterwards, which is what I'm doing now.

Units that work well with the broodlord

There are many other scouting forces available in the tyranid army, namely the ravener and the lictor, and if you field enough of these units together then you could have a small army ready to assault the enemy by turn two. This is useful as it's harder for your opponent to single out the broodlord when he's got six raveners and three lictors stalking down his big guns! This tactic allows your fast attack units to get in close combat unscathed. So much for the tau big guns as the only thing that's going to save them now is a lot of kroot...

Lictors

Lictors have many abilities that make them a useful unit to any scout force. These are fearless,(no pinning, moral, etc) pheromone trail(Re roll reserves) hit and run(can move away from enemy at the end of assault) stealth(5+cover save even when not in cover) and secret deployment(deepstrike into terrain). although you do not have to, it's All
ways good to have more than one lictors in close combat as even with hit ad run your enemy still gets to fight back and lictors ain't particularly tough and fall easily to massed attacks or power fists. I won't go into more detail as this this topic is aimed at the broodlord.

Raveners

These tyranids are fast, very fast. They deep strike into the heart of the enemy and count as beasts when they arrive. although there are many draw backs to them. They are easily mowed down by enemy fire, particularly bolters, and while they are good in combat they simply don't have the numbers to survive a sustained assault. Instead raveners serve as shock troops.

With these units supporting the broodlords massacre you should be able to get your hoards into assault largely unscathed.

Brood size

I usually go as large as I can, (But this is usually because the the person I Usually with has to have more points than me to make it a fair game). This can be good when facing orks. But in smaller games, and when facing a high points cost army such as space marines, most of their units don't stand a chance against the broodlord and his retinue. When against the necrons, it's good to have as many genestealers in the brood as possible, all with scything talons to gain as many attacks as possible, the more that you kill, the less that comeback to life, plus points isn't really a problem as necron fleets a so small. When playing against tau you should make the brood fairly small and have little upgrades, you will kill them any way as they are so weak in combat.

Juicy targets

Good targets are models holding objectives, high armour saving elites and enemy HQ. When playing against space marines I always seek out their terminators, if it is a five man squad then they don't stand a chance, in the case of a ten man squad then he may last a few rounds and kill off a fair amount of genestealers but in any case you have killed an enemy elite choice with relative ease.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 20:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

If you are playing someone who has more points then you then simply ask them to play at a lower point limit. Do not try to add pointless upgrades just to match their point cost. That's a guaranteed way to lose as your units will remain just as fragile and you'll have less numbers while his army will be in full working order.

Also like everyone else said, the broodlord cannot leave his retinue no matter what until they are all destroyed. Going from that and your earlier comment in another thread about capturing objectives with your synapse creatures I think perhaps you should post 1 thread about how u interpreted the rules and we can help you understand how they work.

I'm not trying to diss you, but I feel perhaps there's other things you may not be using properly so you'd benefit from our assistance here.