Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why have a shooty hive tyrant ???
Old 04 Apr 2009, 23:33   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Why have a shooty hive tyrant ???

Hello all I was just wondering what were the advantages and disadvantages of having a shooty hive tyrant ?

And if it's a big advantage to have one; what weapon combos should I put on him ?

SO far for my HQ I have a flying tyrant that I'm pleased with and just want to know if I should field my second hq spot with another tyrant and make him shooty or CC; OR just take a Brood lord instead.

Any sugestions ???
Farsight4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 23:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Why have a shooty hive tyrant ???

Well now you've just opened a HUGE can of worms. People typically take an HT either CC or Ranged... my PERSONAL opinion is to give your HT wings and Scything Talons due to it's HIGH initiative. I then use my Carnifex's (with a Initiative of 1) for shootiness.

You're call though. VC and Barbed Strangler (Sniperfex) will be the most popular choice followed by TL Devourers (Dakkafex).
Old 05 Apr 2009, 00:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

It really depends upon what you want out of your shooty Tyrant. A very big and effective trend is to give a Tyrant with wings 2 Devourers. That's 12 shots, with rerolls to hit and wounding with a high strength, followed by an assault move if there's anything left standing. This dual Devourer build is also suitable to a walking Tyrant. He would be very cheap and still able to deal very lethal damage.

Beyond that, shooty Hive Tyrants usually aren't seen; mainly because Hive Tyrants benefit more from CC oriented builds than shooting. They have greater options and are the only monstrous creature that has the option of Wings. In contrast, Carnifexes have higher strength and more availability, while being generally less effective in CC for the same amount of points.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 01:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Beyond that, shooty Hive Tyrants usually aren't seen; mainly because Hive Tyrants benefit more from CC oriented builds than shooting. They have greater options and are the only monstrous creature that has the option of Wings.
Yeah that is what I don't get. Why would you make a unit go more on the shooty side when their stats are made for CC? I don't play Tyranids(one of my friends does; he has a shooty HT) but I know the stats and it is just so weird to me "haha". My friends shooty HT is pretty impressive but I think it would be better in CC(he has two venom cannons, the +1 BS upgrade, and the +1 S upgrade so he has like 6 S8 shots.)
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 02:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
he has two venom cannons, the +1 BS upgrade, and the +1 S upgrade so he has like 6 S8 shots.
Two venom cannons = Twin-linked venom cannon. Sorry, but you've been cheated.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 04:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

It's a common trick for "Nidzilla" lists, you have 3 zoanthropes with psychic scream somewhere around 5 or 6 Carnifexs and 2 Hive tyrants. Use Pinning Weapons.

Zoathropes psychic scream reduces leadership by 1 per, pinning weapons makes things go to ground thus rendering heavy weapons on any "not relentless/slow and purposeful" models useless.
Old 05 Apr 2009, 06:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Maxed out devourers is the worst to fight against, 12 shots, twin linked and re-roll wounds. Its cuts through most armies nicely.

Old 05 Apr 2009, 06:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Yeah actually I did that wrong; Yes it is twin-linked.

Cheated? Why does it come done to cheating for a simple mistake?
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 09:35   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
Quote:
Cheated? Why does it come done to cheating for a simple mistake?
I assume John Locke thought that your opponent was using the two Venom Cannons as different weapons, rather than a twin-linked version and you merely having made a typo.

In answer to the original question, I'm a huge fan of a tyrant with wings and dual twin-linked devourers, with the wings he is generally more maneuverable than a walking version. The only things I find I need to worry about is shooting, as none of the people I play seem to be so keen on assault troops, I believe they think a devourer armed tyrant will still demolish them in melee, even though I have done nothing to encourage this thinking.
Chicago Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 13:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm actually quite fond of two shooty walking Tyrant with two Tyrant Guard with Lash Whips. It is quite a durable squad and I've yet to lose my Tyrants in a game. They will take a lot of incoming fire and still survive until your troops hit the opponents line. It is hard to decide on the load outs though. For Unholy choir you want a pinning weapon on those Tyrants. For a regular list Devourers are quite nice. It is best to magnetize your weapons.

Now a Flying Tyrant can be a great addition as well. In a list where I'm using Gargoyles (yes), Winged Warriors and Lictors or all three, a Winged Tyrant is a beast to deal with when your coming in with outflanking stealers.

Nids can be played in so many diffewrent ways. Are you going for a lot of MCs or horde? What units are you incorporating for cc and what units for that extra dakka? Each will force you to reevaluate the best Tyrant for your list. What are you backing up the Tyrant with? There is no simple answer as to why one would prefer a cc Tyrant over a shooty one.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote