Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you deal with skimmers?
Old 18 Mar 2009, 18:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default How do you deal with skimmers?

With the upcoming IG codex, it looks like there will be another mobile, skimmer, scoot-and-shoot viable army (thanks to their helicopter-like things).

How do you guys deal with skimmers?

I find that in objective games the best I can do with my vanguard/monsterous take all comers list is hunker down with my 'stealers, going to ground on the points. Then I hope that my Zoanthropes and anti-tank Carnifex can take down their transports. Usually, they dance around my list and I can't do much.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 19:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How do you deal with skimmers?

If I have an idea I'll be going up against an Army with a good deal of Skimmers I like Bio-vores w/ Acid Spore Mines. 2d6+3 gives an average 10 penetration (even when the hole isn't over the vehicles hull due to its special strength), and resolves from the direction of the center hole, so you can get it on rear armor. Otherwise I tend to peg them with Sniperfex fire. Immoblization is all I ever really need on a skimmer as I tend to have enough CC to rip them apart once they're auto-hits. I just avoid using CC against them if they're still mobile. I figure, if they're dancing around fast enough to get cover saves, they're also not shooting me - and if it's trying to deliver a transported payload to me, well, usually I'm the one with the nasty CC they want to avoid.

I guess I don't run into that many skimmers though. My Space Marine opponents don't field many Landspeeders, and my Eldar opponent doesn't (though should, imo) field many Skimmer tanks against me. I keep telling him to field more of them against me, as they tend to be tougher targets for me to deal with, but my friends that played Tau & Necrons really messed up his head about their worth.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 13:52   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeZ33
How do you guys deal with skimmers?

I find that in objective games the best I can do with my vanguard/monsterous take all comers list is hunker down with my 'stealers, going to ground on the points. Then I hope that my Zoanthropes and anti-tank Carnifex can take down their transports. Usually, they dance around my list and I can't do much.
I would agree with the above, Nids don't have a lot of ranged options (Warp Blast, Venom Cannon & Barbed Stranglers on Fexs are best or even HT/Fex devourers against light armour; av10/11) so its more a case of neutralizing fast vehicles rather than necessarily taking them out.

However, in objective games (2 of 3 missions) you might get more opportunity to charge these slippery suckers when everyone is dashing for objectives. Still may mean you need "6's" to hit but if its a fex that gets the hit you're in clover!
Kraken up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 16:25   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

obviously, most nid ranged weapons can't take out vechiles, so i rely on warp blast from 2 zoanthropes and a hive tyrant.
My monstrous creatures are equiped with either a venom cannon or barbed strangler, mostly the latter to take out vechiles. The primary drawback about the venom cannon is that it can't penetrate most vechiles.
I personally find that I can deal with them better in close combat, seeing as you can move and shoot nid weapons
Another thing to consider in a biovore with the 3d6 penetration spores, as these are almost guarenteed to get a penatratin hit.

Hope it's a help!
The Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote