Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hive Tyrant Configuration Help
Old 16 Mar 2009, 15:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu
Default Hive Tyrant Configuration Help

Righty I just got my grubby paws on a Hive Tyrant, awsome model that I will enjoy building! Anyways I was just wondering what would be good to give him...

I kinda want him to be characterful so I'm not gonna be Swapping bits around on this one, maybe I'll do a magnatised one in the future but not this critter. I'll leave interchangeable ness to the Warriors and Fex. I want him to have the Bone Sword but what else... I was tossing up between Venom Cannon or Scything Talons.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 15:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Hive Tyrant Configuration Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merqu
Righty I just got my grubby paws on a Hive Tyrant, awsome model that I will enjoy building!
No, you won't. It's a big, heavy hybrid model that's quite the pain in the butt to put together. You'll see.

Quote:
I kinda want him to be characterful so I'm not gonna be Swapping bits around on this one, maybe I'll do a magnatised one in the future but not this critter. I'll leave interchangeable ness to the Warriors and Fex. I want him to have the Bone Sword but what else... I was tossing up between Venom Cannon or Scything Talons.
The conventional wisdom is that you need to pick shooting or assaulting and build to that function. If you build for shooting, venom cannons and TL devourers are a decent build and you'll want some guard for him too. If you go assault, then the sword and whip are OK with the talons. Alcibiates put together a comprehensive run down on the Tyrant in the detailed unit thread here. Note he recommends against the bone sword.

Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What about wings? if you want it to get into combat faster give him wings
TheCleavelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 22:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Note he recommends against the bone sword.
Second. Try to stay away from the bone sword unless you have a very compelling reason to use it.

Quote:
No, you won't. It's a big, heavy hybrid model that's quite the pain in the butt to put together. You'll see.
Second again. The carapace on the back is difficult to line up properly and requires some filing. Also, ball joints between metal and plastic models are hard to work with.

I personally prefer wings and x2 twin-linked devourers, which is a very popular build. It gives you 12 high strength shots that reroll to hit and wound. The wings make up for the short range.

Another popular build is the walking tyrant with a venom cannon, like you mentioned. However, MC's can fire all their guns so you may want to give him another gun.

But, if the bone sword factors into the fluff of your army, then you should take it.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 02:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree with Pike.. winged either TL Devourers or Straight Scythes. I ALSO recommend using a Carnifex Carapace if you have one to spare. It's pretty much the same AND its lighter and way more easy to manipulate.

OR you go Barbed/VC.. any are good combos. Just be aware that your HT has a REALLY good Initiative. Be sure to use it.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 03:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Depends on what you want it to be used for. Deciding on whether it should have wings or a full Tyrant guard retinue (prolly the two best ways to run the Tyrant) is the first step. Then, decide whether you want it to be aimed for combat (2x Talons or 1x Talons and Bonesword if you're adamant, it's a cool upgrade with the Lash Whip but not terribly effective...) or shooting (Go for the Sniper-rant with BS and VC or 2x TL Devourers).

Those are probably the most competitive set ups, once you figure out what you want and what your army needs it's simply going from there and building the model!
Old 17 Mar 2009, 12:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Word of warning, rumors of possible Tyranid codex updates are starting to pop up and the problem with that seems to be that wings will become a weapon spot so you may not become nearly as vicious in combat over the next year or two. But of course, with the way things get updated that shouldn't really be a consideration until the change comes into effect. Just word of warning, more than anything else.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 14:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think configuring a tyrant for use in games now based on rumored changes in the next codex with an unknown release date (certainly not 2009) is a fool's errand. Build what you want and works now and worry about the change when the change comes.

Making wings a weapon slot is not that huge for a CC tyrant. You're looking at losing one attack from a second set of talons.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 14:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No no.. but it's just something to keep in mind when you're modelling that things do change. But I fully agree... only being a rumor build your model how you want.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 20:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeda
No no.. but it's just something to keep in mind when you're modelling that things do change. But I fully agree... only being a rumor build your model how you want.
Not even then. A year or two from now, IF the rules change, and he wants to change it, he could remodel or buy a new one. Seriously, this is crying wolf. You're doing others a disservice with such scare tactics. These are unconfirmed rumors of a supposed very early draft of a playtest document for a book that won't be out for a well over a year from now, and when it does come out is practically guaranteed to be very different from what people are talking about today.

The best thing a person can do is IGNORE the rumors until an actual Codex release date is in hand, at that point rumors can be solidified.