Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Apocalypse Unit Rules
Old 06 Mar 2009, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Apocalypse Unit Rules

So, I bought myself the Apocalypse and Apocalypse Reload books, which have rules in them for some of the Forge World units, but not all. Missing are rules for Stonecrusher Carnifex, Scythed Hierodule, Malanthrope, Meiotic Spores, Harridan, and Trygon.

Those are referenced as being in the Imperial Armor books, but I'm wondering are the rules for the rest of these spread out across multiple IA books?

It looks like most of them are in both the IA4 Anphelion Project and IA Apocalypse books, but I'm just wondering if I need both books in order to get all the rules on them since there appears to be significant overlap, or if one is significantly newer and overrides previous rules for them.

I've never really dealt with Forge World stuff yet. But I'm starting to plan an expansion of Hive Fleet Hekatonkheires into an Apocalypse force sometime in the distant future, and was just wondering what I'll need to pick up in rule books if I want to field any of their impressive looking huge models.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2009, 23:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Apocalypse Unit Rules

Nez,

If you go TO the Forgeworld website for almost every item they reference WHERE to find the info. As I recall, unfortunately, they are spread across a couple different IA volumes. I don't know if they link, but some of them offer links as well (if the info was there or available). Sorry I can't provide more info than that. It really seems to be based on which units.
Old 06 Mar 2009, 23:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

I may have the rules for a couple of the units you want in .pdf format...

Then again, I may not.

If you catch my drift.

/edit To be more clear, because some people thought it would be a funny to report me on my own board, these rules were available for download from the IA site around 2005.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 00:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

IA Apoc updates and supercedes any previous entries from other books, for both apoc and standard games. It includes most entries, but not all.

The bulk of the other IA books are art and fluff.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 19:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So, the IA Apoc book is the one with the most recent updates? Ok cool. It looks like IA Apoc has most of the rules then with the GW Apoc book picking up the rules on the Heirophant & Barbed Heirodule that aren't there.

I'll probably buy IA4 at some point anyway just for the fluff, but I just wanted to know that I'd have the rules covered for everything else.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 20:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

IA Apoc is a great book. It's got so much stuff in it, it's a FAR better book than Apoc Reload, IMO.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i agree, look on the forge world website.
The Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2009, 16:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So, I've read all the rules now for the Gargantuan Creatures (including from IA Apoc). Some of them look very cool, some ok. The Heirophant just looks nasty, stat-wise. Trygon looks pretty cool too. I don't know if I'm sold on the Harridan, it appears to be a really expensive Barbed Heirodule that carries Gargoyles, a model I don't have any of at present anyway. The Heirodules themselves look pretty good though...

I dislike the "look" of a lot of the models though, they have the 3rd Ed aesthetic for the most part with the exception of the Trygon, so they won't look quite right with my mostly 4th Ed regular Tyranid models. I wish they'd update the look of a few of the models, particularly the Heirodules & Harridan (the Heirophant I don't think is too bad), the carapace plating on them doesn't much look like the way the current set of Tyranid models do, so they sort of seem out of place.

Yes, I know, I'm probably far more of a nub modeler in terms of Tyranids than a lot of you that have been around longer for older editions. I don't have any nostalgia for the older models though, given my only experience with the newest versions.

Anyway... has anyone had experience using these gargantuan monstrosities? Stat-wise a lot of them look really cool, but then in theory so does a massive God-fex, and I've always been disappointed in their performance, so I'm still up in the air on whether or not to purchase any of these Apocalypse units...
Old 25 Mar 2009, 16:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezalhualixtlan
I dislike the "look" of a lot of the models though, they have the 3rd Ed aesthetic for the most part with the exception of the Trygon, so they won't look quite right with my mostly 4th Ed regular Tyranid models. I wish they'd update the look of a few of the models, particularly the Heirodules & Harridan (the Heirophant I don't think is too bad), the carapace plating on them doesn't much look like the way the current set of Tyranid models do, so they sort of seem out of place.
I always loved the look for the 3rd edition Hive Tyrant. Still use both of mine too. The old Zoanthrope and Carnifex models and go away forever. Wouldn't bother me much. Heirophants always looked like big gaunts to me, and those haven't changed since 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezalhualixtlan
Anyway... has anyone had experience using these gargantuan monstrosities? Stat-wise a lot of them look really cool, but then in theory so does a massive God-fex, and I've always been disappointed in their performance, so I'm still up in the air on whether or not to purchase any of these Apocalypse units...
Can't help you there, never bought any to destroy tabletops with.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote