Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Transporting Hivefleet Myrmidon
Old 28 Feb 2009, 22:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Transporting Hivefleet Myrmidon

Hey all,

For the LIFE of me, I can't find out much on the transporting of my 'Nids. With all their sharp edges, my shoebox of shame just doesn't cut it. And the small clear divided "totes" I use for my Dwarven Fantasy army are just too small.

I went to all the Walmarts in the area, Outdoor Worlds, Targets, Jo-Ann Fabrics, and Michaels (arts and crafts) to see about doing something else cheaper than a GW case and find that once I end up buying the foam (and cutting and pasting) it ends up roughly costing the same as a Sabol, GW, or like case (looking to keep it between 50-100$).

The Point: What do the majority use to transport their pointy/snaggy Tyranids?

I've currently got my eye on a Sabol Motor Pool specifically for the 4" one. My HT is in the middle of construction (I had some great mods on it... then had them collapse onto themselves because the HT is heavy as heck) but it measures almost a full 4" (the dragonfly wings are unattached atm)

So what I need to ensure it can contain is the following:
(height standing on base)
1 Hive Tyrant (4")
3 Carnifexs (3")
16 Horms (1.25")
16 Terms (1.25")
16 Genes (1.75")
1 BroodL (2")
6 Warriors (2.5")
2 T. Guard (2")

Plus whatever else I buy :-) Like all my rippers and future warrior mods.

Thanks guys, you typically have some great cycle time on your answers so I'll hold off on purchase until I get some good results.
Old 28 Feb 2009, 23:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Transporting Hivefleet Myrmidon

The Sabol transport cases are really nice, they work fantastically.

My easy/cheap fix that I usually go with is taking a normal carrying case (Sabol, or even a plastic box from something like Target) And putting packing foam on the bottom, then a layer of models, then more packing foam, then a layer of models... etc. Works well for me, and slightly more flexible than the Sabol foam.
Old 03 Mar 2009, 15:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A tackle box (like the ones for fishing). If you find 'the one' you have pretty much gaunt sizes slots on expandable drawers with a large container in the bottom capable of housing warriors and up. The only thing that doesn't fit is my winged tyrant, I made him his own box out of a Gaunt box (the box they come in) and several pieces of foam from blister packs. I am sure you may even have something resembling a fishing box around.
Old 03 Mar 2009, 19:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
The Sabol transport cases are really nice, they work fantastically.
I keep meaning to save up enough to buy one of these for my stuff. My homemade cardboard box w/ slots continues to wear away some of the paint off my models.

Since I don't have too much beyond my Flyrant completely finished being painted though and he doesn't sit in the box anyway, I haven't been as concerned with it, since some of the stuff needed touchups and/or repainting anyway.

I think once I finish putting all my most recent stuff together and really putting the time into painting everything to finish, I'll be more motivated to get the foam lined transport case though.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2009, 19:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well I ordered the Sabol Motor Pool Transport... I don't know if it is going to FIT my Tyranid force.. once I do I'll post up a nice detailed FAQ (I've got most of it written with specs of what I found for what prices and where) with pics. I really did try everything.

If I ONLY had to transport gaunts the tackle box woulda been fine but because my GS's, 3 Carnifexs, HT, BL are all more than 2" high they would not have fit unless I laid them down and then that fit was very awkward (and my BL rolled a few times in just walking around the store.. I thought I had broke a freakin claw.. I was pissed). Had my army been Space Marines I don't think I would have had a QUARTER of the issues I've had just because of Scything Talons and Rending Claws :-)
Old 03 Mar 2009, 20:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I use foam for the expensive and metal models. My FW flyrant has its own special foam that makes it stable for transport. Industrial packing foam is not only free (buying foam costs a lot of money), but comes in weird shapes that might work for your models. I found one that fits MC's perfectly.

There are way too many gaunts and genestealers for me to properly transport, so I put them all in a shallow tray and hope for the best.
Old 03 Mar 2009, 21:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

If I may interject, you can get metal washers fairly inexpensively. Many of these match the base sizes nicely. You may have to actually take the bases to a hardware store to match them up. But once you have your models based, you can get a generic case or storage tote and put magnetic tape on the bottom (available at most hardware stores, craft stores and department stores) and, presto you 've got a decent carrying case.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2009, 23:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Silly Ork tactic :P

Emlyn's idea is a good one though, but I'm not sure how it would hold up on bigger models.

The Sabol cases are nice once you have your army set, painted, army lists.... etc. It's annoying (for me) that you have to cut out all the foam to your specifications and it's very specific when set. You can't just throw whatever you want from whichever army in the case and run off and play (which I do a LOT :P).
Old 03 Mar 2009, 23:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

See and I REALLY liked the magnetizing idea.. but you have to stand the items either up or on the sides of a metallic case. None of the 4 MC's can be stood on anything but the bottom, neither could the BL or the Tyrant Guard (or heavy little SOBs as my wife refers to them). With the sizes required just to keep the scyths/claws separate I measured the average (not min/max) Gaunts at 1.5"h x 2.5"l x 2.25"w (roughly 5.5" sq.in) so just my Gaunts would take up to 180 sq.in. Ultimately, just to magnetize gaunts I would need a surface roughly 14"x14" just to store the gaunts (tightly packed in). I got what you're saying and I saw a REALLY nice example of an Eldar player with all his bikes/grav tanks on the lower end of the box and the eldar (plastic) on the sides and that was awesome but they were also not particularly irregular in shape which is where EVERY Tyranid problem I have comes in.
Old 04 Mar 2009, 11:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The irregular shape is definitely your biggest problem...

I think I'd really recommend packing foam, and a strudy plastic box. It allows you the most flexibility, is relatively inexpensive, and you don't have to worry [as much] about all the gribbly bits, since there's no "definite" spacing and you have a little leeway with the models.