Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hive Fleet Names
Old 23 Feb 2009, 12:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Hive Fleet Names

I was just dreaming up names for my Tyranid army and I figured since this was the place for such things I might get some feedback from other users and see what folks think.

Names: As dictated by Imperial tradition, the alien hive fleet should be codified with an ancient and forbidding named from legend (from 4th edition Tyranid codex).

Hive Fleet Tiamat? (There is a forgotten fleet called Tiamet (M35) which was a system with Tyranid-esq covered deathworlds) May need a backstory linked to this system if used.

Hive Fleet Bahamut (Flying Circus theme name?)

Hive Fleet Nostromo (Named after the ship in the original Alien movie)

Hive Fleet Gilgamesh

Hive Fleet Gog or Hive Fleet Magog (Named after the leuitenants that lead hells armies in revelations, alternatively these names sound orcish in origin and could serve as names for any Hive Fleets that emerge from the growing conflicts between the green skins and the Tyranids)

Hive Fleet Adramelech (Demon whose name means King of Fire, good name for gun based army)

Hive Fleet Leonard (Demon who's master of black magic and sorcery, good name for Unholy Choir)

Well, here I am...
Hntr Klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 13:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Hive Fleet Names

Even though I don't have anything to offer you, there has been a lot of discussion in this thread which might be useful to you.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 13:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

To be honest what I was really looking for was how people felt about the names I'd listed and any names they used or liked. Thank you for the link though, I'd not seen that thread previously.

Well, here I am...
Old 23 Feb 2009, 14:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

OK, well I'm convinced Hive Fleet Tiamet was a typo and was supposed to mean Tiamat, so I probably wouldn't use that name.

I like Bahamut; as far as I know, though, the real legend of Bahamut is about a fish, not some flying thing like you see in some modern games. Of course, depending on translation/interpretation you could always work your way from fish "floating in the ocean" to a creature "flying in the sky".

I also liked Gilgamesh, I think it's fitting for the Tyranids. I would probably work it up with a swarm list, considering the Tyrant to be Gligamesh and the swarm of Gaunts to be the wall. Of course the wall could be anything, but I'd still think the Tyrant as Gilgamesh.

I don't know anything about Adramelech besides what you wrote, but I definitely think the name has a fitting sound to it compared with the hive fleets of lore.

Hive Fleet Nostromo would definitely make sense to people who know what you're talking about, but I don't think it fits the names given to previous hive fleets by the imperium. Gog and Magog would work if you made a decent story behind it like you pointed out. I think the names of those two are close matches for the previous Hive Fleets, but they aren't 100%. They'd work, though. And Leonard... I don't know anything about Leonard DarkMagic of the New Jersey DarkMagics. (Trying to work in the Penny Arcade D&D podcast about one of their character's name.) I think the name sounds way off, and at first glance it definitely seems like a made up name and a joke. Of course, apparently it isn't because you've added info about a real Leonard, but at first glance since I didn't know anything about Leonard it made no sense. I'm not sure how popular Leonard is, but if you think you can make it work, then work with it. I'd avoid it because I don't think very many people would have any clue what it means, and I wouldn't want to have to see people's faces as they smirk when I tell them they are about to fight Hive Fleet Leonard.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 15:21   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I hadn't heard the original for Bahamut to be honest, I was just going with the dragon in the Final Fantasy games.

Gog, Magog, Leonard, and Adramelech are all biblical names because I like the old names for the most part. You just don't get that kind of quality weird these days.

Nostromo was a bit of a stretch and I knew it when I thought it up but I just really thought it was fitting considering.

As far as the smirks when they heard they were facing Hive Fleet Leonard I don't think that would be much of an issue once they had some serious beatdown coming their way. It's sort of like my friends dog Scruzzy, a small and cute dog with a bad attitude that will mess you up for no good reason some days. You start out smiling but in the end it's just not funny when you're retrieving part of your earlobe, nose, or finger from the floor.

Well, here I am...
Old 24 Feb 2009, 03:33   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My fleet is called "Yakunan" which is the japanese word for calamity, evil, or misfortune
greenpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 05:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would still like to see hive fleet bandersnatch or hive fleet jabberwocky. I believe they have a great deal of potential.

One two One two and through and through
The vorpal railgun went snicker-snack!
the tau left it dead and with its head
the kroot came galumphing back.

Old 24 Feb 2009, 11:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I didn't bother naming my tyranid force as it's not a hive fleet, just a norn queen infesting a space hulk. Not all fleets even need names, since they're only there so the imperium has a designation for them. Screw the imperium.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 14:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Nice. I'd name my fleet in the Tyranid language, if I knew what it was or how to express it.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 14:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just think the name because that's all their language is lol

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote