Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is it me or...
Old 13 Feb 2009, 04:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Is it me or...

ever since this 5th edition came out, seems to me like the Tyranids got the short end of the stick... I have tried to stick with an all melle army but does not seem to work, my gaunds and hormagaunts are easy meat for templates and the list goes on. Warriors are not that great of a unit. I truely believe that they need to revamp the Tyranid codec to compensate for the changes in 5th edition. Maybe they can get the wording right on the codec right this time before it throws us all into rage.
max_winner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 06:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Is it me or...

I suggest reading the tacticas and helpful articles on this section of the forum, and try them out before you discount the tyranids. Have you looked at Nezalhualixtlan's signature and his win/loss record? Can't argue with that.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 08:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

What kind of list do you run? I find tyranids are one of the strongest armies out there, with many advantages other races don't have. If you could give us a copy of your list we could have a gander and give you some pointers...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 14:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

IIRC, the biggest nerf Nids received was in shooting (the new glancing table). Sure, templates are nasty buggers, but there is an abundance of cover saves available in 4th, and the new "run" rule helps CC Fexes a LOT to get into a proper position to charge.

I haven't played against Nids in 5th, but from what I can tell, they haven't been nerfed as badly as Tau or Necrons (especially Necrons received the short end of the stick...).

I agree with the posters before me, post up your list and what kind of list you're having problems with, and someone should be able to help you

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 14:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

and to complete on Why So Serious question: Whom do you fight?

Knowing your list will be quite helpful, so is knowing who your opponent is, just to make sure you have the 'right' list for the job...you know, the old: Don't bring a knife in a gunfight.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 14:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

5th really helped Nids IMHO.

We got:
•Run for our CC fexes and Warriors.
• Feeder tendrils are insanely good.
• Outflanking Gesetealers
• Warriors no longer need EC or ES to be good.
• Our low BS templates are now great.

We lost:
• Venom Cannon is not as effective.
• Combat resolution hurts gaunts.

Seems like a good tradeoff to me.
Wallus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 17:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
I suggest reading the tacticas and helpful articles on this section of the forum, and try them out before you discount the tyranids. Have you looked at Nezalhualixtlan's signature and his win/loss record? Can't argue with that.
To be fair, about half those are 4th Ed games [Edit:] (so I just added up my 5th Ed games and my record there is W:26 L:4 T:4), and you can't put all of it on the Army and rules, players & luck factor into it too. With that said, we certainly *can* be a very successful army in 5th.

And it's my personal opinion we made out way better in 5th than we lost. I think the Feeder Tendril buff, non-fleet running CC units (or even running with stuff that shoots at shorter range at the start), infiltrators & scouts getting to Outflank, and particularly the plethora of easy to get 4+ cover saves really helps us out, and more than makes up for any of the nerfs (like rending, and glancing not destroying vehicles) and benefits others armies received in the change of Editions.

Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 17:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I stopped using gaunts and switched to genestealers, and it made a difference. I was on a pretty long loss streak until I play tested the vanguard/MC list I posted in the army list section. I play against MEQs: Necrons, SM, Deathguard heavy SM, Orks...

I noticed the OP didn't mention 'stealers. Try out a vanguard list if gaunts aren't working.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 09:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I love tyranids in 5th ed. For a start the cover saves have improved. This goes well with the move through cover rule we have. Running is useful as well, it allows other units in the army to keep pace with the gaunts. And of stealers, re rolling missed hits for 1 pt? win

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 14:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm not a Nid only player ( I play other armies more to be honest ) but my record in 5th with Nids has been exemplary so far. I try to use two Hive Tyrants with two Tyrant Guards each in most lists and they are nigh unkillable. And they can run to set them up for shooting or cc.

Our fexes are much better with the flexibility of run ( I'm loving both ninja and boomfexes now). Try and move these guys off objectives when they want to contest.

As has been mentioned outflanking stealers with feeder tendrils are vicious. The rending nerf was well compensated by outflanking and feeder tendrils. Maybe too well compensated noww that there are so many ways to get these guys their 4+ cover saves.

Undoubtedly there are units that will under perform in any list if not supported properly and I have seen Godzilla lists played as an assault oriented force when in fact it is a shooty list at heart. So proper selection of what will work in synergy when creating a list, knowing the strengths of a list and playing the list properly definitely affect how much success you have.

Our new 5th edition is based on our survivable troops grabbing objectives and our MCs contesting objectives so even WoN gaunts are quite useful now and it not too difficult to fill up all our troop slots if we want to even at lowere point levels ( I actually play three or four troop slots up to 1500 but I like heavy MC lists ).

There are numerous threads with ideas on how Nids could be improved with a new codex but in all honesty they do not require many tweaks. Too much tinkering and they might start to get overpowered as has happened with other new codecii. For now they are quite playable.

bebe is offline   Reply With Quote