Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lictors
Old 12 Feb 2009, 03:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Lictors

Hey quick question on lictors, and secret deployment; ahh... how does it work. My friend plays nids and I allways feel like I'm getting the shaft when he deep strike or secretly deployies his Lictors. So I was just wondering if someone could put the rules in lamest terms so I can understand how the heck the things come into the battlefeild (and their weekness if you know that).

Thanks
Imperial Guard W-0 L-0 T-1
Chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 04:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel
Default Re: Lictors

Lictors have several roles for nid players, but lets start at the top and work our way down. Lictors must deepstrike into terrain and roll for scatter if this takes them out of the terrain feature then they stop at the edge of it. Second lictors can assault the turn they deepstrike. Normally lictors will target a vehicle since it will strike rear armor at s6 of go after small heavy weapon teams. its other great advantage is an improved cover save almost allowing it 2+ save most of the time and with feeder tendrils it will allow any nids within 3" to re roll fail hits. On top of that for every lictor in his force he may re roll for one unit held in reserve. In all lictors are great, but for only helping the army they are not game winners, but more less help enhance the army. also some players will use them as a distraction unit deepstriking near the enemy to attract gun fire away as the horde approaches. So the best approach here is get the lictor out of cover or bring lots of flamers. Granted they are descent but they are no tyrants or cc fexes and more of a psychological fear unit just for the fact you dont know where it will come from and what it will do.

uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 13:18   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Secret Deployment is pretty much just Deep Strike. The only differences:

Lictors must enter play via Deep Strike.
Lictors must deep strike into area terrain. If the deep strike move would take it out of the terrain, it stops at the edge.
If a lictor Deep Strikes into impassible terrain, it won't suffer mishap, and it deploys normally.
Lictors may assault the turn they Deep Strike.

The Lictor's weakness is the fact that it is only one model. If you assault it with anything good, it will die. Alternativley, use template weaponry. Don't try and shoot it with anything else, it's got a 2+ cover save most of the time. They can hurt vehicles and Heavy weapons teams, but it's not a threat against anything else. Their main advantage to the Tyranid player is the Re-Roll reserves.
Wallus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Their psychological impact is way worse than their effects in game. As stated, if you charge it or can shoot it with something negating it's pesky cover save it'll die. Don't let it scare you too much, just make sure you have models to support your tanks/heavy weapon teams so that they aren't isolated. If they're isolated, they stand a good chance of dying.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 01:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallus
If a lictor Deep Strikes into impassible terrain, it won't suffer mishap, and it deploys normally.
Bear in mind in combination with this now in 5th, as per pg13 in the main rulebook:
Quote:
"Impassable terrain includes deep water, lava flows, steep rocky cliffs and buildings that models cannot enter, as agreed with your opponent. Remember that other models, friends and enemies, also count as impassable terrain."
So if he deepstrikes in, in area terrain, next to one of your units and scatters on top of them, he'll still deploy and not take a mishap.

As the Lictor is required to deepstrike into area terrain, and in the deepstrike rules all difficult terrain counts as dangerous terrain, he will have to take a Dangerous Terrain test with the Lictor - so it has a ~17% chance of wounding itself on entry. He will also have to take a difficult terrain test on the assault if he is assaulting through difficult terrain - likely in most cases if your unit is also in the area terrain, it's still got 3x d6's take the highest to roll for distance due to all Tyranids having Move Through Cover, but if it winds up Deepstruck more than 1" out, it's possible for it to prevent the assault, more likely the close it gets to the 6" mark. Again though, he can choose to stick it 1" from your unit in area terrain with no chance of falling onto the Mishap table if he scatters onto you, so be aware of that.

You can get around this assaulting after deepstriking by having your unit outside 6" from the area terrain - or can prevent him from using a particular piece of area terrain to deepstrike into entirely, if you have a unit large enough to cover the whole thing so there is no space where he can fit the mid-sized base (40mm) which is also more than 1" from all your models. If by some miracle you've covered all the area terrain in this manner, I'm not sure if the Lictor could be forced onto the Mishap table (? only thing I can see here is a chance of Delay saving it - but I'm not sure if this is a valid reading of the rules), or possibly it would just straight out die from having no valid entry point - but either way it'd be bad for the Lictor.

Fluff-wise, this represents the Lictor pretty much already being there when your troops move into the area, they just don't notice it due to how well it's octopus-like camouflage hides it.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 20:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You just contradicted yourself, there. How is it that the Lictor was already there, yet has to take the dangerous terrain test?
Old 18 Feb 2009, 21:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorin
You Games workshop just contradicted itself, there. How is it that the Lictor was already there, yet has to take the dangerous terrain test?
Fix'd :P

It's none of our doing, GW's silly rules don't match up with their fluff (once again). It'll probably be Errata'd eventually, but until then not much we can do about it.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 23:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sure you can! Agree that it's a stupid rule and ignore it. It's that simple. If someone wants to be a Rules Nazi about it, don't play.

Shouldn't 4th edition rule books have some sort of latitude in a 5th edition game, instead of relying solely on RAW?
Old 18 Feb 2009, 23:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorin
Sure you can! Agree that it's a stupid rule and ignore it. It's that simple. If someone wants to be a Rules Nazi about it, don't play.

Shouldn't 4th edition rule books have some sort of latitude in a 5th edition game, instead of relying solely on RAW?
Well, that would require common sense... unfortunately not everyone is as blessed as you and I in that department :P I wouldn't be a stickler about it, I'd tell my opponent's and play by it but if they agreed it was stupid we'd leave it out.

Depends a lot on your playing environment, if you don't ferquent tournament's it's not a big deal but some people are very competitive and rules like this aren't allowed to let slide.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 00:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
Depends a lot on your playing environment, if you don't ferquent tournament's it's not a big deal but some people are very competitive and rules like this aren't allowed to let slide.
now you know why I dislike tournaments so much.

And now, back to the topic...