Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Added the Nids
Old 26 Jan 2009, 16:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Added the Nids

hi guys I am starting a nid army and was wondering if anyone has any really good ideas of a cc army I was looking at doing
1 Brood lord with 6 genestealers with scything talons, extended carapace, flesh hooks and toxin sacs 238 points
1 Hive Tyrant with 2 scything talons, adrenal glands +1 ws, toxin sacs, and winged 147 points
2 Lictor's 160 points
2 carnifex's both with 2 scything talons, adrenal glands + 1 ws, bonded exoskeleton, extended carapace, reinforced chitin, toxin sacs and tusked
each at 181 points
4 warriors with scything talons, adrenal glands +1 int, adrenal glands +1 ws, extended carapace, flesh hooks, leaping, toxin sacs @ 172 points
2 groups of 13 hormagaunts with adrenal glands + 1 int, adrenal glands + 1 ws, extended carapace, flesh hooks and toxin sacs 208 points each

1495 points
I usally play the tau, the guard, and necron players
so please let me know how it looks oh and we play with tons of terrain

Lattakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2009, 16:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Added the Nids

Here is the list I use for a 1500 point 100% CC themed army.

Tyrant
2x Scything Talons
Winged
Pychich Scream, CC upgrades

Warriors x3
2x Scything Talons
CC upgrades

55 Hormagaunts +S/WS

3 Zoanthropes
Synapse
Psychic Scream

2 Carnifex
2x Scything Talons
CC upgrades

With your list you might want to get more hormagaunts as that is your only way to score objectives. Originally like the idea of having a crapload of Hormagaunts because they're fun to use, but I might drop a few to use a Lictor because they seem pretty fun and I want to paint one.

Playing a CC nid army is very fun, just be sure to hug cover like there is no tomorrow and try to get into CC asap!

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2009, 17:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You've got toxin sacs on several things that don't seem like they'll derive much use out of them. Specifically, the Toxin Sacs on your Carnifexes are almost entirely useless. They will only be useful when hitting a Monolith in melee (or when you roll really low on your 2d6 for Armor Penetration). Otherwise a Monstrous Creature with Str 9 is pretty much just as good as one with Str 10.

Also, your model count is 42. You are going to be outnumbered by most armies, and that's going to hurt badly.

The upshot is that you've got 3 monstrous creatures that can take some serious punishment.

What sorts of armies do you normally play against?
Old 26 Jan 2009, 17:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just my personal preference, I like my genestealers with my Broodlord stripped down to almost basic - I almost never run his retinue with anything other than flesh hooks on them. I let my broodlord pick up the biomorphs (often EC, Flesh Hooks, Feeder Tendrils, Toxin Sacs if I have the points) and just leave the Genestealers as low point wise-as I can get them. I consider flesh hooks useful since the Broodlord gives the unit Preffered Enemy through his Feeder Tendrils.

The reason? Bulked up Genestealers like that draw fire - a lot of fire - and they are still pretty crunchy even with EC when your opponent is determined to wipe them out with a hail of gunfire. If you are using them to Outflank (which I'd highly recommend) you've probably got a better chance of getting them into combat, but they're a pretty badass unit, likely to leave themselves out high and dry and open to ranged attacks after they massacre whatever they ran into. If you make the unit the single biggest threat on the board, it will be guaranteed to draw the most fire. Disperse your threat throughout your units, and your opponent is far more likely to make a target priority mistake too.

And even if you want to keep the unit at around the same point cost, consider with all those bio-morphs on your Genestealers you've increased their cost considerably, getting far fewer actual genestealers (and very importantly, far fewer ablative wounds for your Broodlord) when you could field a retinue of bare basic genestealers and get 10 of them instead of 6 (or 9 if you gave them just flesh hooks, which I'd consider worthwhile). That'd be three extra wounds your opponent would have to chew through, in addition to a number of extra attacks easily making up for the loss of Scything talons the way you have it set up.

[edit] and like IcyCool said, you really don't need Toxin Sacs on your Carnifex's. I'd go so far as to suggest stripping them down to EC, +WS, +I, and 2x Scything (maybe Bio-plasma or Toxic Miasma, too depending on what you feel like - I tend to be a fan of bio-plasma myself sometimes... not all the time) I'd save some points to spend elsewhere in your list.

I'd highly recommend Warp Field for your Flying Tyrant, it'll improve his survivability a great deal.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 22:34   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok thanks for the input guys i'll make some adjustments I usally play the gaurd, tau necrons and sometimes dark eldar and choas deamons
Lattakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:01   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The only thing Ive got to say that no one else has said is to give the flyrant +1 I and Toxic miasma instead of +1 Ws.
Tau and gaurdsman will be hitting him on 5s wounding on 6s in melee and he will get to strike before or at the same time as just about everthing including Khorne beserkers, stuff with the mark of slanesh and all the necron melee stuff.
greenpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2009, 04:54   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

For nid beginners, I would have to say....
Broodlord with extended carapace
8x Gaunts with Spinefist
8x Hormagaunt
Carnifex with whatever bio-morphs you desire
Old 29 Jan 2009, 01:47   #8 (permalink)
Francisco

Ive played a 1200 pts army against IG
and My Hq was a broolord with carapace, flesh hooks, toxic sacs and tendrills with 7 genes with flesh hooks as retinue.
Ive manage to outflank and last till the end of the game with the blord alive, after half Ig army fired at me during 3 turns.
They manage to kill 3 squads, 1 command squad, 1 sentinel and 1 basilisk.
I got lucky in that game cause Ive manage to find cover in middle of all their army soo I was needed to strike and move back to the cover to withstand enemy fire.
Pretty nasty, and makes my oponente cryed laugh for this slaugther XD
Old 29 Jan 2009, 03:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's why I always try to spread out along a table edge to prevent nasty outflankers from destroying my army too easily.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote