Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-Marine Swarm Army
Old 22 Jan 2009, 20:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Anti-Marine Swarm Army

Okay, most of the guys at the game club I go to play fantasy but a few of the guys play 40k on a consistent basis. Two of the guys play space marines, one plays daemon hunters, and one plays necrons. So as you can see the guys there are marine MANIACS. So, I've never played before, and am slowly building a force of tyranids. Here's what i have at my disposal:
1 Hive Tyrant
3 Warriors
8 Genestealers
16 Termies
16 Hormies

I'm not sure how many points they usually play but I'll know after tonight. So, how should I go about building, and biomorphing an anti-marine swarm army? What other units should I pick up? How should I equip these guys?

An answer as to how I should arm my Termies would be nice because I'm gonna be working on those guys tonight.
WLD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2009, 20:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Anti-Marine Swarm Army

Well, I would want to know how shooty their armies are, so but I would suggest a 'stealer/hormagaunt/leaping warrior force if you want to try something funky, or a nidzilla list, like all 6 fexes and 2 tyrants+stealers and WoN Spinegaunts. I'll give you a sample list of both, but first I want to know how many points you will be playing at?
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@£&#\*%#@^€£@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2009, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
Francisco

The only way to beat marines with those models is to mass them in number, overwell them with number´s power.

Genestealers are alot usefull vs marines soo try to move them with a wall of gaunts in front or move them in cover to benefit from 4+ cover saves.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 17:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanoob
Well, I would want to know how shooty their armies are, so but I would suggest a 'stealer/hormagaunt/leaping warrior force if you want to try something funky, or a nidzilla list, like all 6 fexes and 2 tyrants+stealers and WoN Spinegaunts. I'll give you a sample list of both, but first I want to know how many points you will be playing at?
Ok peeps, just talked with some of the guys at the game club and they say the points for standard armies where we play 1,750.

I'm thinking about getting some more genestealers and some more termies, and another synapse or two. The question is, how should I go about arming my gene stealers and gaunts?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 20:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh boy... biomorphs are a very personal thing, each person has their own idea. I'd listen to what some of the vets say, and then form your opinion off that. Personally, I run termagaunts with nothing. Cheap fleshborer, and send them in to die in droves. Genestealers on the other hand, I like equipping with extended carapace to get a good save out of them, and sometimes scuttlers so they can outflank. They start getting expensive that way.

If you're fighting Marines, I recommend genestealers... they'll probably be your hardest hitters and can lay down a load of hurt on the enemy. Some carniefxes are never a bad choice either, too. Zoanthropes can be good synapse beacons and also can get a S5 AP3 blast that will toast Marines quite well.

I think a combat focus would be good for your list, as the three armies listed all have very potent shooting... instead of trying to match their shooting, make your list faster and capable of taking them down in combat.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
Oh boy... biomorphs are a very personal thing, each person has their own idea. I'd listen to what some of the vets say, and then form your opinion off that. Personally, I run termagaunts with nothing. Cheap fleshborer, and send them in to die in droves. Genestealers on the other hand, I like equipping with extended carapace to get a good save out of them, and sometimes scuttlers so they can outflank. They start getting expensive that way.

If you're fighting Marines, I recommend genestealers... they'll probably be your hardest hitters and can lay down a load of hurt on the enemy. Some carniefxes are never a bad choice either, too. Zoanthropes can be good synapse beacons and also can get a S5 AP3 blast that will toast Marines quite well.

I think a combat focus would be good for your list, as the three armies listed all have very potent shooting... instead of trying to match their shooting, make your list faster and capable of taking them down in combat.
I'll make sure to pick up some more gene stealers ^_^. None of the people at the club I play at play tyranids, so, I'm not sure they would be able to help suggest biomorphs. If I'm going for a combat (close range) army would you advise biomorphing my hormies with flesh hooks? Also, when it comes to termies, would you suggest the fleshborer or the spine fists? I see advantages to both, I'm just unsure as to what I should use...
Old 24 Jan 2009, 03:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Alright, for your questions:

1) If you read through some topcis on this very forum, you'll get plenty of opinions and ideas on biomorphs from certain players. For instance, I swear by Extended Carapace on my genestealers but other people hate the upgrade. It's very much a preference thing, and by looking at other people's posts you'll start to see the good and bad about everything.

2) Hormagaunts are a tough unit to utilize. They're very expensive for having a mediocre statline, to get some oomph out of them they really need some biomorphs (like Toxin sacs) but then they become more expensive and less durable. You will find out how to use them, flesh hooks are good for hormagaunts in the sense they negate an enemies cover advantage, since they count as Frag Grenades. Awesome for retaining your initiative value when charging into an entrenched enemy, and relatively cheap. However, sometimes it will be a total waste of points. Experiment and find what works best for you.

3) It depends :P Fleshborers can actually kill something. they're both good options, but fleshborers make you good shooters. Spinegaunts are really just good for making super cheap gaunts and charging into combat. It's not a huge difference, either way they're both decent units. I would make one big unit of termagaunts w/fleshborers and one unit of spinegaunts with spine fists. See which one you like better, in most cases gaunts are used to run around and screen your bigger units and hold objectives. Again, practice makes perfect. Nids are a fun army as they can be tailored to how you want to play them, and when you get some more games in you'll understand your own tendencies more and be able to pick units that fit how you want to play.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 03:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm just a little worried about glueing certain things onto my units, and finding out they suck. It sounds expensive to replace and entire brood of something because you glued weapons/and or biomorphs you find out you don't want. How do you manage to do this? (Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I'm a complete noob. I've never played a game before.)
Old 24 Jan 2009, 05:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hahaha, no problem. To be honest, I still have that problem with my Tyranids even today!

The biggest thing with biomorphs are that some of them are ambiguous. For example, it's just as easy for me to tell you that these guys have extended carapace as model it on, and most people get that and are fine with it (so long as you're consistent). If you want my honest opinion on your paticular dilemma, I would keep the hormagaunts totally naked (no biomorphs) to make them a cheap, streamlined diversion squad. They won't be a big combat heavy weight, but they'll be cheap. Whenever I optimize a list, I use spinegaunts instead of termagaunts because they're cheaper and essentially the same in combat. In reality, I have more termagaunt models so I use them. But I'd stick with again, cheap bare bones spinegaunts. Genestealers are awesome units, I like running them with extended carapace. Flesh hooks are also very important to make sure you can utilize your high initiaitve when charging a unit in cover. Scuttlers is fun if you have the points so you can outflank, and feeder tendrils are quite effective (though expensive and hard to model, since you only have a limitted number of heads).

To beef up your list, I suggest getting a Broodlord as an HQ. For a small amount of points, you get an awesome close combat monster that (if you give him feeder tendrils) will give preferred enemy to his squad and let them outflank... absolutely amazing. More cheap gaunts are always a good thing to have on hand, and you wanna start getting some Carnifexes ASAP. They're great units, with sooooo many possibilities... hard to choose biomorphs for them, real hard. But that's a discussion for another day Zoanthropes are good synapse beacons, and cheap Warriors with deathspitters can land templates all over the place. I like Lictors for some of their cool abilities too.

So there's an idea of what you should do with what you have and where you should go. Keep your gaunts cheap and effective, and use them to support your real heavy hitters (Genestealers and monstrous creatures) so they can rip up your foes. However, it's important to note that the advice I gave you is generic (ie applicable for all armies). Fleshborer armed Termagaunts will do better vs Marines because of the shooting strength bonus, and putting the intiative boost and/or toxin sacs on the hormagaunts will give them a leg up on the MEQ's (Marine EQuivalents). However, if you expand further into the hobby you won't want to have your models and army tailored to take down one list. Hope my ramblings have been of some use to you I'm sure other Nid players have a ton to offer as well.

Oh, and another cool thing: If you don't know what to equip your models with, test them. Leave them unassembled till you can get some games in vs. your friends and find out what works. If you don't plan on playing in a tournament setting, clearly telling your buddies "Unit X has biomorphs Y and Z" won't be a problem, and you can mess around with whatever biomorphs you want to with suitable models to give close representations.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 06:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I'd definitely put in a squad or even two of Genestealers with Scuttlers so you can Outflank and pick off things like Devastator Squads - if they're packing Heavy Bolters it'll really ruin your day.

But like Sionnach said, biomorphs are incredibly dependant on personal preference. The Tyranid list is another one of those lists where everything is competitive if it fits your army, so its best to go with what you like. Numbers of attacks are the order of the day though - with living ammunition, your Termagants don't *need* anything more than their fleshborers. They're cheap, so you can get more of them.

If you want to go horde I really would recommend filling out *all* your Troops choices and then working from there, and when I say "filling out" I don't mean 8-man squads of Termagants, I mean BIIIIG squads.

I'll write more later probably.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote