Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Errata Instant Death
Old 06 Jan 2009, 23:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Errata Instant Death

This may be obvious to some of you guys, but I wanted to confirm that the errata says:
Tyranids within Synapse range as described above (including the Synapse Creature itself) are not affected by the Instant Death rule.

Versus:
Tyranids within Synapse range as described above (including the Synapse Creature itself) are not affected by the Instant Death rule caused by weapons of strength...

So does this mean, under synapse, we're immune to any and all forms of instant death? (Like force weapons)

Old 06 Jan 2009, 23:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Errata Instant Death

Pretty much.

I think (iirc) only Vortex weapons ignore those rules.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2009, 00:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeZ33
This may be obvious to some of you guys, but I wanted to confirm that the errata says:
Tyranids within Synapse range as described above (including the Synapse Creature itself) are not affected by the Instant Death rule.

Versus:
Tyranids within Synapse range as described above (including the Synapse Creature itself) are not affected by the Instant Death rule caused by weapons of strength...

So does this mean, under synapse, we're immune to any and all forms of instant death? (Like force weapons)
Yes, creatures in Synapse range including the Synapse creature are immune to all Instant Death, not just Instant Death caused by weapons with strength double the toughness of the model in question. The old FAQ had an additional question about just that in fact, answering what happened if a model was affected by a weapon without strength that just causes Instant Death like a Wraithcannon - and the answer was the model suffers only 1 wound instead - the same applies to everything else, including Force Weapons.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2009, 02:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The FAQ for fourth edition stated specifically that models immune to Instant Death are not immune to being "killed outright" by force weapons. Fortunately, somebody must have come to their senses for 5th edition because force weapons now explicitly cause Instant Death. Anything with the Eternal Warrior rule or otherwise immune to Instant Death (like being in Synapse range) will survive being poked with a force weapon. There are some other things that will still destroy a model in one hit, but they usually say the model is "removed from play". The only example of this I can cite are some of the results when you roll doubles for the orks Shok Attak Gun or however it's spelled.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2009, 07:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks guys.
Old 19 Jan 2009, 02:08   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Tyranids within sypnapse range are; "Inmmune to the effects of instant death caused by a weapon with a strength double the creatures toughness". Word-for-word out of the codex.
now that to me suggest that say a missile would instant kill say a t4 warrior dude to the strength of the weapon being double targets toughness.
However a successfull hit from a force weapon kills outright and does so without having to be double the victims toughness and thus negating the rule in question.
Old 19 Jan 2009, 10:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorne_berserker2008
Tyranids within sypnapse range are; "Inmmune to the effects of instant death caused by a weapon with a strength double the creatures toughness". Word-for-word out of the codex.
now that to me suggest that say a missile would instant kill say a t4 warrior dude to the strength of the weapon being double targets toughness.
However a successfull hit from a force weapon kills outright and does so without having to be double the victims toughness and thus negating the rule in question.
The tyranid FAQ states that "Tyranids within Synapse range ... are not affected by the Instant Death rule". In the paragraph directly below that one, it addresses weapons that cause Instant Death through other means like a Wraith Cannon. The answer is "As they are immune to Instant Death, they only suffer 1 Wound and are not instantly killed." The second line isn't as clear in the case of force weapons since they actually have a strength, but it is not the double toughness that is causing the Instant Death, so synapse immunity should apply. In any case, it's clear from the 5th edition rule book (force weapons cause Instant Death) and the tyranids FAQ (tyranids within synapse range are immune to Instant Death) that a force weapon will not insta-kill a carnifex.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 10:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

As unlikely as it is, what about a dire-sword? It doesnt say instant death, so could it work? Honestly I woudn't let it, because all intentions say instant death (I'm the Eldar player btw).
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 18:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
As unlikely as it is, what about a dire-sword? It doesnt say instant death, so could it work? Honestly I woudn't let it, because all intentions say instant death (I'm the Eldar player btw).
As primarily still an eldar player I would say no. I think it fits into the same category as force weapons (not that it is a force weapon but for ID). I know that this goes against RAW but I wouldn't use it against 'nids (partly because I only have 1 diresword in 4.5K but also because of my belief in RAI).

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2009, 22:19   #10 (permalink)
Francisco

Lets clearly specified this question.
The question about the tyranids being immune to instant death, the errata correct it, so creatures within synapse range, even the creature with this power are immune to instant death you can say that they are "eternal warriors". Immune to instant death, and thats all, even force weapons wont work, the creature lose 1 wound as was from a normal S weapon that double the creature´s T