Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's The Story Behind Your Tyranid Army?
Old 02 Jan 2009, 19:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default What's The Story Behind Your Tyranid Army?

So I read a pretty good fluff about Nids posted by sionnach19, and it made me wonder what is the story behind everyone else's Nids? Even though we may have our differences we are collectively part of the Hive Mind. Heck they say that when Nids fight each other it's only for the betterment of the race right?

So everyone feel free to post your fluff ideas for your Tyranid Army. Include name, origin or even play style anything goes.

I'll start off with my Nids which I have dubbed Hive Fleet Luna origins unknown to Mankind. I like to think of my Nids as a special brand of Nids a major fleet that has focused on the evolution aspect of the Tyranid race. The entire fleet acts like a shadow (in the warp) having evolved stealth to the highest degrees appearing out of nowhere and striking with deadly calculated precision until every living organism is wiped out and consumed, and the fleet evolves yet again, never remaining the same.

The name for my fleet I got from my own name. "Luna" is my last name for those wondering. And to make things make sense fluff wise I had envisioned the fleet as always moving in a crescent moon shape.

The play style as I mentioned in the fluff is also derived from this Tyranid Evolution idea which to me is the coolest thing about the Tyranid race as a whole. I fell in love with that detail and that's the sort of Army I want to play, an army capable of evolving after every battle growing stronger even in the face of defeat, so that no opponent may adapt to it, so that there can be no counter against it. And yet the fleet can quickly adapt to any opposition it encounters specially those previously encountered.

I have made HUNDREDS of army lists for my Nids tweaking each and every list, attempting to make it competitive and 'different' all at the same time, some times standard, some times radical. And even though this sucks up a lot of time It is the part that I find the most fun in and the joy of annihilating an opponent with a different list every time fulfills me and my idea of what my Nids should be like.

These words by an Imperial Guardsman really made me happy, even though it was said 2 years ago lolz (he finally got a draw game, in our last game)

Quote:
The tyranid player is the best one and he plays in very different ways every game. He sometimes has a shooty tyranid army wich is just plain scary. He also likes to assault people in the 2nd turn. He has way too many synapse creatures for me to take out. What should i do?
- That one line made my day. It's a great feeling when you can live up to your fluff.
Old 02 Jan 2009, 19:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: What's The Story Behind Your Tyranid Army?

Hive Fleet Mjolnir is a splinter fleet of Hive Fleet Behemoth left drifting across space after the fleet's defeat at the hands of the Ultramarines at Macragge. It lives primarily in the Southeastern portion of the Milky Way galaxy, terrorizing the nearby Ork and Vior'la Renegades that battle amongst the region, as well as participating in nigh-constant warfare on various Imperial agri-worlds defended by the Barren Sentries and Blood Angels chapters of Space Marines. The Hive Fleet is fierce and cunning even by Tyranid standards. Due to several isolated reports, Imperial researchers speculate this temper is the result of many early encounters with a large Necron tomb network that dwells within several death worlds in the region, virtually starving the Hive Fleet when it was at its weakest following the defeat in the Macragge system. At this time, however, the swarm is at a terrifying strength.

Due the... 'varied' diet found in this sector of the galaxy, Hive Fleet Mjolnir is a very balanced fleet, just as likely to produce and deploy vanguard forces of Genestealers as swarms of Gaunts or Carnifex with carapace thicker than that of a tank, often deploying all of the above and more in a single invasion. Their glistening, deep red carapace creates the effect of a tide of blood spilling over the landscape; a terrifying sight that often realizes itself in a literal sense at the end of the battle. The Fleet has a unique, luminescent, blue blood, though Imperial researchers have not yet pinpointed the reasons or possible benefits of this evolution.

[hr]

There we go. That explains the fluff between most of my frequent opponents and my army's varied nature; my list includes nearly ever unit available in the codex!
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2009, 02:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hive Fleet Jackalope has been a thorn in the Imperium’s side over the past century. It is believed that Jackalope was originally a splinter fleet of Hive Fleet Behemoth, but after separation from their parent fleet for such a long period of time, they have developed their own distinct traits. In a desperate naval battle above Zion IV in the Utaa system, the majority of the Hive Fleet was destroyed and the Tyranid capital ship crashed into the southern pole of the planet. Zion IV was known for having a rocky, arid climate, and the only human inhabitants were colonies of miners and a small Mechanicum outpost. After the Imperial Navy destroyed the Hive Fleet, they quickly left the world in pursuit of more splinter fleets, leaving Zion IV marked for purging after being so exposed to the Tyranids. Time went on, and for close to 60 years the backwater planet was left alone. However, things on Zion were to be changed forever.

The Tyranid Hive ship that had crashed in the south had not been destroyed, merely severely damaged. 3 months after the Imperial Navy left, mining outposts in the far south began to disappear. Miners were found dead out in the desert, and even hardy caravans could be swept away in the dead of night. The citizens were fearful of what lurked in the desert, and many fled north. 5 months after the Imperial Navy had left, a full scale Tyranid attack was coordinated on the southern capital, as genestealers, Lictors, and Rippers rose from the depths of the city and attacked from the desert. An explosion of activity occurred, and before long the southern half of Zion was a mass of swamplands and alien jungle, mutated by the power of the Hive ship and the Tyranids. Harvesting the biomass of the dead, a true army was quickly constructed and before long Tyranids lurked both the southern jungles and prowled the desert plains. Whilst lacking the full strength to take any major cities by force, over the years smaller outposts were destroyed and the Tyranids became more and more daring. Carnifexes prowled the open deserts, and their hulking shapes could be seen in the gloom of dusk and dawn. The Hive Fleet drew its name from these monsters, reminiscent of the fearsome Terran Jackalopes, horrible creatures with great horns that stalked the desert. What had once been a thriving mining society quickly turned into a group of ragtag humans fighting fighting for survival. An uneasy coexistence was made between the humans and the Tyranids, as the Tyranids lacked the biomass and strength to conduct a full out assault on the human defenses.

60 years later, a small Inquisition retinue arrived to discern the fate of Zion IV. What they saw when they arrived in orbit was a grotesque figure, half-planet, half-monster… the Hive Mind had eaten away at the every substance of the planet until the two were fused and inseparable. The Inquisition ship quickly dispatched troops to try and defeat the Tyranids, but it was futile. The local Imperial Guard forces were quickly beaten back. The tide of the battle was turned when a great tentacle rose from the south pole of Zion IV, reaching into space and destroying the Imperial flagship with one swing. It was clear then that Zion IV was more beast than planet. After the Imperial forces were beaten back, the rest of the planet was quickly consumed, it’s inhabitants destroyed by renewed Tyranid attacks. A Space Marine battlebarge from the Crimson Fists’ Chapter was dispatched later to discover the fate of the ill-fated Inquisition sortie, only to discover that the fourth planet in the Zion system was…. Gone.

Since then, Hive Fleet Jackalope has plagued the galaxy; slaughtering thousands and becoming a larger and larger threat not only to the Imperium, but Xenos and Chaos forces as well. Zion IV has become the new Hive Ship, and planet totally encased in Tyranid mass that floats through space by the sheer psychic will of the Hive Mind. It is only a matter of time before Jackalope reunites with another Tyranid hive fleet and the ability to possess planets pass to the Tyranid race as a whole…

Yes, it is an unusual name. But, it is a unique name too :P And a comical one. I can guarantee you I will have the only Hive Fleet Jackalope you'll ever fight. The Tyranid codex specifically states that Hive Fleets are named after old school Terran monsters... I figure the image of the Jackalope could get warped a little bit after a couple thousand years... :

Thanks for the credit Akaiyou!
Old 05 Jan 2009, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Like Droids_Rule, my Splinter Fleet, Tiamat, is a descendant of Hive Fleet Behemoth.

After the defeat of Hive Fleet Behemoth, some straggling forces took refuge in the caves on the planet Espandor in Ultramar (This is a remote planet, barely settled, and actually is referenced by the Rogue Trader Ultramarines codex as a planet in Ultramar). Because Hive Fleet Behemoth is long dead, only those creatures strong enough to last on their own, either fearless or those that don't need synapse, comprise my force.

This means that I don't take gargoyles, raveners, gaunts, etc. or anything that needs synapse to operate. It's a rationalization/fluff backup for making a competitive list using a Carnifex heavy force with a bunch of genestealers.

After all, if Old One Eye could survive so long after the death of Behemoth, imagine how much easier it would be for genestealers and lictors to hide in the caves of a largely ignored and forgotten planet.

As such I painted my 'nids black with a grey, stone-like carapace. For the third compulsory color I marked their skin with red patterns, mimicking the luminescence of the red glow worms native to the caves of Espandor.

Commander Learchus, in the absence of Uriel Ventris, was sent on a mission to Espandor related to whatever force I would be fighting. Learchus accidentally happened on my Tyranids. I have a lot of dead Ultramarines 4th company on my bases (It's a bloody mess, and it looks like fresh gore thanks to gloss varnish). Learchus himself is being crushed by a winged hive tyrant. I also have an injured Learchus on a standard base, by himself, for when the opposing player captures/frees him from the hive tyrant.
Old 09 Jan 2009, 07:06   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I haven't really gone into specifics, but their story begins when an Ork Warboss discovers an ancient Old Ones artifact (A strange glowing cube of course!).

When my fleet went to devour the planet Mr. Warboss wore the cube into battle (after all it was blue, lucky!) The Tyranids immediately went through strange psychological effects. Their link to the Hive Mind twisted and their own minds bended into strange forms.

Suddenly Broodlord *insert name* had a craving for crumpets and tea and the thrill of dueling! His genestealers felt the urge to be sly gentlemen.

Old Hivey the Tyrant suddenly found himself flying through strange emotions, one minute pureblood lust, the next and urge to cause pain and suffering and a moment later a wish for universal peace.

And that's when Hive Fleet *insert name again* was truly born!

I have yet to choose a name for my fleet, I can't think of a mythological beast, being or god that represents their insanity (Anyone have any ideas there?). And I know this doesn't fit with fluff, but it's all in good fun! I love the though of a Broodlord sitting down for some bio acid tea and flesh-made crumpets.

I also haven't decided on the affects this artifact had on the Warriors, Gaunts and Carnifexes, and everything else. Any suggestions?
Ivellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 09:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Once my tyranids arrive I'll begin painting them, but I have included a backstory for when they are completed.

There is no name because my tyranid army isn't a Hive fleet. Instead it's one of the spinter fleets from Kraken. A fleeing Norn Queen has infested a space hulk and while it remains unchanged on the outside, the deeper bowels of the ship bear the unmistakable mark of tyranid infestation. Spawn pools are hidden in the ship, and any creatures who enter the ship are slain and added to the biomass of the space hulk.

Due to the nature of fighting primarily in the hulk, the tyranids there have forgone any ranged weaponry as assaults are always certain in the confines of the ship. Also there is no need for winged creatures save for the oldest Tyrant, the personal guard of the Queen who has been alive since before their arrival on the Hulk. As a result of only being able to assimilate small quantities of biomass at a time, the queen is unable to spawn an innumerable supply of tyranids, instead focusing on using the available biomass to create more elite units. As a result the average tyranid has more biomorphs. After fighting for so long in the dark confines of the hulk, the tyranids have changed color. They are all black with silver hues along their bones and chitin. Eyesight is of little importance on the hulk, so communication is done purely by way of telepathy. The resulting chatter causes even those who are not psychic to feel the presence of the tyranids on board. The tyranids become so excited when prey enters the ship that the psychic screams can be felt by any creature on board. As a result, when the enemy morale breaks, it breaks hard in the face of so many psychic screams.

You should be pretty much able to deduce my army list from that

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 21:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeZ33
Like Droids_Rule, my Splinter Fleet, Tiamat, is a descendant of Hive Fleet Behemoth.

After the defeat of Hive Fleet Behemoth, some straggling forces took refuge in the caves on the planet Espandor in Ultramar (This is a remote planet, barely settled, and actually is referenced by the Rogue Trader Ultramarines codex as a planet in Ultramar). Because Hive Fleet Behemoth is long dead, only those creatures strong enough to last on their own, either fearless or those that don't need synapse, comprise my force.

This means that I don't take gargoyles, raveners, gaunts, etc. or anything that needs synapse to operate. It's a rationalization/fluff backup for making a competitive list using a Carnifex heavy force with a bunch of genestealers.

After all, if Old One Eye could survive so long after the death of Behemoth, imagine how much easier it would be for genestealers and lictors to hide in the caves of a largely ignored and forgotten planet.

As such I painted my 'nids black with a grey, stone-like carapace. For the third compulsory color I marked their skin with red patterns, mimicking the luminescence of the red glow worms native to the caves of Espandor.

Commander Learchus, in the absence of Uriel Ventris, was sent on a mission to Espandor related to whatever force I would be fighting. Learchus accidentally happened on my Tyranids. I have a lot of dead Ultramarines 4th company on my bases (It's a bloody mess, and it looks like fresh gore thanks to gloss varnish). Learchus himself is being crushed by a winged hive tyrant. I also have an injured Learchus on a standard base, by himself, for when the opposing player captures/frees him from the hive tyrant.
I really liked that one, seriously that's pretty solid background there on and off the table. Good job.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of ppl seem to have a thing for Hive Fleet Behemoth? lolz nobody likes the other ones or something? Everyone seems to have their's based on behemoth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivellis
I haven't really gone into specifics, but their story begins when an Ork Warboss discovers an ancient Old Ones artifact (A strange glowing cube of course!).

When my fleet went to devour the planet Mr. Warboss wore the cube into battle (after all it was blue, lucky!) The Tyranids immediately went through strange psychological effects. Their link to the Hive Mind twisted and their own minds bended into strange forms.

Suddenly Broodlord *insert name* had a craving for crumpets and tea and the thrill of dueling! His genestealers felt the urge to be sly gentlemen.

Old Hivey the Tyrant suddenly found himself flying through strange emotions, one minute pureblood lust, the next and urge to cause pain and suffering and a moment later a wish for universal peace.

And that's when Hive Fleet *insert name again* was truly born!

I have yet to choose a name for my fleet, I can't think of a mythological beast, being or god that represents their insanity (Anyone have any ideas there?). And I know this doesn't fit with fluff, but it's all in good fun! I love the though of a Broodlord sitting down for some bio acid tea and flesh-made crumpets.

I also haven't decided on the affects this artifact had on the Warriors, Gaunts and Carnifexes, and everything else. Any suggestions?
LOL dude that is original, it's wacky but I like it. Just for the hell of it you should model a cup of acid tea and a flesh crumpet on the Broodlord's hands that shouldn't be too hard. and would look hella funny while intimidating on the field.

Maybe the Carnifex can't decide wether it wants to be a mega-killing machine or a circus elephant! lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Once my tyranids arrive I'll begin painting them, but I have included a backstory for when they are completed.

There is no name because my tyranid army isn't a Hive fleet. Instead it's one of the spinter fleets from Kraken. A fleeing Norn Queen has infested a space hulk and while it remains unchanged on the outside, the deeper bowels of the ship bear the unmistakable mark of tyranid infestation. Spawn pools are hidden in the ship, and any creatures who enter the ship are slain and added to the biomass of the space hulk.

Due to the nature of fighting primarily in the hulk, the tyranids there have forgone any ranged weaponry as assaults are always certain in the confines of the ship. Also there is no need for winged creatures save for the oldest Tyrant, the personal guard of the Queen who has been alive since before their arrival on the Hulk. As a result of only being able to assimilate small quantities of biomass at a time, the queen is unable to spawn an innumerable supply of tyranids, instead focusing on using the available biomass to create more elite units. As a result the average tyranid has more biomorphs. After fighting for so long in the dark confines of the hulk, the tyranids have changed color. They are all black with silver hues along their bones and chitin. Eyesight is of little importance on the hulk, so communication is done purely by way of telepathy. The resulting chatter causes even those who are not psychic to feel the presence of the tyranids on board. The tyranids become so excited when prey enters the ship that the psychic screams can be felt by any creature on board. As a result, when the enemy morale breaks, it breaks hard in the face of so many psychic screams.

You should be pretty much able to deduce my army list from that
Interesting makes good sense too army list wise. I actually would play a list like that i love psychic scream.
Old 09 Jan 2009, 21:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
One thing I noticed is that a lot of ppl seem to have a thing for Hive Fleet Behemoth? lolz nobody likes the other ones or something? Everyone seems to have their's based on behemoth.
Well, I, for one, picked Behemoth as my 'parent' fleet because it operated in a similar region of space as many of my friends' and family's armies (The Tau Empire is kind of specific in where the tabletop battles can take place :P ), and because of the similarites in color scheme. I had thought of it long before I read anyone else's fluff, as well.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 06:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I haven't started my army yet, as i can;t find a ton of rippers.

Sliver fleet Disorder

Disorder is the remains of a splinter fleet that had almost finished consuming a world when it was hit with an Exterminatus. As mentioned in the codex, some things can survive by burrowing, namley fex's, due to their massive resilance, and Rippers.

so, my army is the remains of this shattered splinter, directed, not necissarily controlled, by the few warriors that survived. the swarms of massivly enhanced rippers, both crawing and winged hord forward as the few remaining carnifexes run behind them, slamming into the combats they encounter, having evolved to survive the harsh conditions that exist in a post exterminatus world, their rienforced amd extended carapaces aid their survival as thier sything talons rip apart the enemy.

as for a color scheme, i'm thinking rock-like, grays, tans, muted, washed out colors.
Blindmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 19:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindmage
I haven't started my army yet, as i can;t find a ton of rippers.

Sliver fleet Disorder

Disorder is the remains of a splinter fleet that had almost finished consuming a world when it was hit with an Exterminatus. As mentioned in the codex, some things can survive by burrowing, namley fex's, due to their massive resilance, and Rippers.

so, my army is the remains of this shattered splinter, directed, not necissarily controlled, by the few warriors that survived. the swarms of massivly enhanced rippers, both crawing and winged hord forward as the few remaining carnifexes run behind them, slamming into the combats they encounter, having evolved to survive the harsh conditions that exist in a post exterminatus world, their rienforced amd extended carapaces aid their survival as thier sything talons rip apart the enemy.

as for a color scheme, i'm thinking rock-like, grays, tans, muted, washed out colors.
nice, a good idea for rippers is to not put more than 3 per base in order to get more. I do this with all my swarms, i always keep it at 3 swarm models per base. The picture usually depicts 4 but that's a waste keep it at 3 and jus take the extra one you save from each to make some more ripper bases. I managed to get 40 ripper swarm bases in this manner.