Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Carnifex
Old 29 Dec 2008, 00:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Carnifex

First post in a while here, but other then that I was making a new Tyranid list and wanted to try something different for my heavy support.

Carnifex
Enhanced Senses
Reinforced Chitin
Barbed Strangler
Twin linked Deathspitter
=143

Just want a few opinions of fellow Tyranid players, Thanks.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 01:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Carnifex

I like it, using it in an Ork game starting in a few minutes... I'll get back to you on it's effectiveness.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 18:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

I don't like it at all.

Deathspitters on a carnifex is a waste bro. Don't do it.

I mean do it if you want to, but you are short-changing yourself with that build.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 20:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yea I know Deathspitters are not the best to put on a Carnifex, but the new blast rules and with two templates i believe it will be very effective at cutting down infantry. And to sionnach, tell me how it worked out.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 03:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why not put deathspitters or Carnifexes? They're aren't really that bad... :P

Working very well, for a relatively low points cost you can throw around a bunch of blast templates. As my only fire support unit against an entire Ork army, he's done rather well (considering he's taken down a whole Ork squad single handedly!)
Old 31 Dec 2008, 03:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

This dude has the firepower of my favorite 3 combo of warriors (2 warriors, scything talons, deathspitters, 1 warrior, scything or rending, and barbed strangler, with enhanced senses and extended carapace) in one model. I love it.

Why is it so bad, Akaiyou? It's better than another barbed strangler, and it isn't meant to have a VC. So... it's either deathspitters or devourers, and it seems this fex is a blasty one, so, the deathspitters make sense.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 20:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calian Gecko
This dude has the firepower of my favorite 3 combo of warriors (2 warriors, scything talons, deathspitters, 1 warrior, scything or rending, and barbed strangler, with enhanced senses and extended carapace) in one model. I love it.

Why is it so bad, Akaiyou? It's better than another barbed strangler, and it isn't meant to have a VC. So... it's either deathspitters or devourers, and it seems this fex is a blasty one, so, the deathspitters make sense.
The deathspitter just sucks for a fex to use. you are already getting the big template from the strangler. The deathspitter just doesn't have good synergy with the strangler.

I rather keep my deathspitters on the warriors or maybe even on the tyrant where it would be more at home.

You can feel free to play it on the carnifex but I think if you are going for optimization you will eventually conclude that you are either better off adding talons or not using the BS without the VC. This is of course if you are aiming for effectiveness.

Old 31 Dec 2008, 20:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Akaiyou, your way of playing isn't the only one.

Firstly, you are arguing with me over our past arguments (particularly over PM), and not with the topic maker. It is his carnifex, after all.

And the deathspitter does not 'suck'. A twin-linked strength seven, assault, blast weapon on a monstrous creature is a great weapon, that goes along with the barbed strangler. A venom cannon does not go with the infantry-killer role, whilst scything talons would be a waste on a shooty fex. Your views, however correct they may be, on effectiveness is different from mine and the original posters.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 20:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm not a big fan of the TL Deathspitter on a fex, that could just be me. If you find him lagging behind in killyness, you might want to think about giving him TL Devourers instead. Still just as useful in the infantry killing role, and more reliable if you are shooting at light vehicles. The BS is, of course, still a classic on the Fex, and should perform decently in the infantry killing role.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 20:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCool
I'm not a big fan of the TL Deathspitter on a fex, that could just be me. If you find him lagging behind in killyness, you might want to think about giving him TL Devourers instead. Still just as useful in the infantry killing role, and more reliable if you are shooting at light vehicles. The BS is, of course, still a classic on the Fex, and should perform decently in the infantry killing role.
I agree to some extent. I feel that the TL devourers and the TL deathspitter fill similar rules, and the theme of this fex is a blast infantry-killer, so deathspitters fit the theme. I would personally run it with devourers as well, but that's not to dismiss the 'spitter.