Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Spore Mine Clusters in 5th ed.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 10:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin
Default Spore Mine Clusters in 5th ed.

Now... In 4th ed the deepstrike rules were simple, the unit was destroyed on impact with a unit it deepstriked on, so pop went the mines. but now, deepstrike mishap table has confused me. Can i still just place the Mines down on a unit or do i HAVE to place them somewhere they can land?
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2008, 14:45   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Spore Mine Clusters in 5th ed.

The Tyranid FAQ released by GW says that spore mine clusters either DS or fired from a Biovore work the same way they did in 4th ed.
FuzzyTumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 00:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
Now... In 4th ed the deepstrike rules were simple, the unit was destroyed on impact with a unit it deepstriked on, so pop went the mines. but now, deepstrike mishap table has confused me. Can i still just place the Mines down on a unit or do i HAVE to place them somewhere they can land?
the mines are shot as a barrage weapon, they use the Deep Strike rule but landing on an opponent is the same as hitting them with a barrage weapon, there is no mishap.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 20:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

the faq states that if they do land on an enemy or impassable terrain they automatically detonate.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 15:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Since we are bringing up spore mines I also have a few questions. According to RaW when using clusters fired from Biovores is this true ... I ask because I find the rules rather confusing at times when it comes to spore mine clusters.

1) Clusters can contest objectives
2) Clusters can use the 'Run rule'
3) Clusters count as KPs
4) Mines that explode the turn they land do not count as KPs.
5) All the spore mines fired from a group of Biovores remain in coherency and scatter together. So three Biovores would create one cluster of three mines.
6) The strength of a Spore Mine is 2D6 + 3 and the way it written means it does work against Monoliths.

And does anyone use Spore Mines? I would think that against Ork Hordes and few other armies they might be useful. Do you use them as FA or do you use them with Biovores? Any good stories with their aplication in 5th edition.

bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 18:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaBebe
Since we are bringing up spore mines I also have a few questions. According to RaW when using clusters fired from Biovores is this true ... I ask because I find the rules rather confusing at times when it comes to spore mine clusters.

1) Clusters can contest objectives
2) Clusters can use the 'Run rule'
3) Clusters count as KPs
4) Mines that explode the turn they land do not count as KPs.
5) All the spore mines fired from a group of Biovores remain in coherency and scatter together. So three Biovores would create one cluster of three mines.
6) The strength of a Spore Mine is 2D6 + 3 and the way it written means it does work against Monoliths.

And does anyone use Spore Mines? I would think that against Ork Hordes and few other armies they might be useful. Do you use them as FA or do you use them with Biovores? Any good stories with their aplication in 5th edition.
1. Yes
2. No, because spore mines would never shoot, even though arguably many models that don't shoot (like a hormagant) can run. Ok I admit I didn't even think bout this I mean come on...they have no legs!! Also they have strict movement rules...oh wait nevermind I think I figured it out, only 'infantry' can run right? Spore Mines don't count as infantry.
3. Sure do unfortunately. But in return we can do #1.
4. Yes, it would be the ultimate act of stupidity to use biovores if we started giving up points every time we score a hit.
5. Yeah.
6. Mmmmm I think so, the monolith removes the 'extra' D6 from all attacks however the acid mine is not 'extra' it is a special weapon. But honestly why would you even want to try this on a monolith? You need to be really really lucky to even glance it on 2D6 + 3.

I use spore mines and biovores and I must tell you this was the hardest one for me to learn, every other day I 'discovered' that I was playing it wrong. I kept getting confused on the rules, to be completely honest I'm still not 100% sure that I know all the rules for spore mines they just seem overly complex for no reason.

I have used spore mines clusters as fast attack options thanks to the advice from 77 one of the old tyranid board mods who defended mines as a viable option. I played them against necrons in a double-detachment game and I must say the mines kicked necron bootay. They do very well against big groups of enemies.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 21:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
oh wait nevermind I think I figured it out, only 'infantry' can run right? Spore Mines don't count as infantry.
Spore Mines are individual models which have a profile in the codex, both as DSed FA slots and fired from a Biovore. Unless otherwise specified, Spore Mines are Infantry. RAW seems to make clear that spore mines are units of type "infantry" as specified in the Tyranid FAQ:
Q. The Tyranid Codex doesn’t designate unit types for its Codex entries. How does this work?
A. All Tyranids are Infantry, unless otherwise specified in their special rules or Biomorphs.
They were units in 4th edition. It is 5th edition that brings up these questions because as units they can run, contest and go to ground. Unfortunately the rules were written pre-5th ed, even if it's silly. So I looked through their rules again and I found nothing that would specify them as being other than infantry unless I missed something?

1. Spore Mine Clusters: Contains a description of spore mines, including the phrase "which they Tyranids use as 'living bombs'". Describing spore mines as living bombs does not constitute defining their unit type as being other than Infantry.
2. Shooting: Refers specifically to Biovores launching spore mines but makes no reference to unit type.
3. Detonation: Refers to exploding spore mines but makes no reference to unit type. Nothing about unit type.
4. Mindless: Refers to a USR How could the mines have a USR if they aren't a unit?
5. Movement: Spore mines have special rules for moving and assaulting but makes no reference to unit type.
6. Spore Mines do not have a special rule which specifies that they are a unit type other than Infantry.

Now if someone claims that they can get KPs for my spore mines I think it only fair that I get to run, contest objectives and go to ground. I can even join my broodlord ( not that I would want to) to the unit. I think We will need to make a house rule for this.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 03:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would have to agree. We need a new codex that would solve all our problems.
But I bet we probably won't be getting a new one for quick a while...
Old 13 Jan 2009, 05:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmmm, okay, so can someone clarify the spore mine KP thing for me real quick? If they DS or are shot from Biovores and they explode on impact then they are NOT worth a KP? But if they miss and are actually floating on the table then they are, DS or shot? We've only got one 'nid player in the area that actually uses these things so we're all a little confused on the subject. We've been playing it that if they DS in they are worth KP no matter how they are detonated, but the ones fired from the Biovore aren't at all. If anyone could direct me to something in the codex/FAQ that would be nice.
FuzzyTumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 06:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaBebe
I do not believe this to be true. Tyranid Codex, p 45: Bio Acid; Strength 3, Rolls 2d6+3 to penetrate vehicle armour.

Monoliths stop the 2d6 to penetration rolls, but do not stop variable strength weapons. (Necron codex, page 21)

Therfore, if the bio acid mine was as you say, that is, Strength 2d6+3, then the monolith would have no effect on the armour roll, and could be glanced/penetrated. However, with the wording that they roll 2d6+3 to penetrate while being Str 3, I'd have to say that they are stopped by living metal, given how the two rules are worded. (If a faq overides this, then so be it.)

This is why Shokk attack gunz and Zzap gunz work but chainfists and MC's do not.

Sad though, because tyranids really need a better monolith killer than a bio-plasma 'fex.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote