Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vanguard Organism Lists
Old 20 Dec 2008, 02:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Vanguard Organism Lists

Hey all!

I've been toying around with a lot of my armies recently, trying to make some tough and interesting lists. However, they generally tend to be boring or very easy to run (sometimes both), either playing themselves with little inherent tactical thought or almost too good so that they can handle anything but the most extreme lists. In short, I want a fun list again! I figured best way to do this was pick up my Nid codex, the first 40k army I ever had, and try to whip up some good lists. Now, the most fun games are the ones that are really close, so I do not want the list to be really bad or really good, a mediocre list for more friendly games or healthy competition.

One of my first thoughts was a Tyranid vanguard list, it has a definite feel in the fluff and some very fun units (Lictors and Genestealers! Yeah!). However, I've never played one before and wanted to get your thoughts? Fun? Boring? Good? Bad? What upgrades are good for genestealers, I like scuttlers a lot but EC is always a favorite of mine for the boost to the save. Any other Tyranid lists that are you guys like, and have a good time with?
Old 20 Dec 2008, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Vanguard Organism Lists

Extended Carapace should be your first upgrade for the stealers. There's just too much stuff out there, particularly rapid-fire stuff, that is AP5. Beyond that, it's harder to say. My son plays genestealer-heavy lists and likes to run very expensive ones. The preferred enemy thing, enhanced initiative (he likes being able to kill Harlequins), and scout are favorites. They end up quite expensive by the time he's done, which isn't always the best way to go.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2008, 02:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you run a simple list with just broodlord and a few genestealer variants accompanied by some lictors it can be a very nasty, yet fluffy, list if used right.
Most players will have a bit of a bitch when you play with that many stealers but it's still a difficult list to use because it has literaly no shooting and poor defence, making it hard to get to the enemy intact. but when you get there hes gonna know about it >
Thats why lictors and extended carapace on your stealers are a must. The carapace to protect your guys on thier way to and in combat and the lictors to throw at soft high output target before you main line gets there, eg IG weapon platforms, devastator squads, elfdar rangers/dark reapers etc (lictors also for fluff reasons)
So yes Vangaurd lists are good but not incredibly good or cheesy.

Some other fun lists to play are Nidzilla, Choir with lots of barbed stranglers, Warrior Heavy and the time consuming WTO swarm
greenpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2008, 05:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Here's my Vanguard List I'm currently running: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...544#msg1096544

Makes for a fun game more often than not.

and with this many rending attacks... it's soooo simple.
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2008, 05:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Now, would you run the list so that all of the Genestealers were scuttlers? That means that you could start the game with no models on the board, and they wouldn't show up till turn two... has some interesting applications. Thoughts?
Old 28 Dec 2008, 06:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

The Scouts rule is that you get a free move before turn one. making it quicker for you to get into CC. (first turn CC if you're lucky). Or put your scouts in reserve and outflank, coming on from a side board edge, (useful against static Tau or Imperial guard).
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin is offline   Reply With Quote