Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyranid Assult Brood-What to add?
Old 17 Dec 2008, 09:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tyranid Assult Brood-What to add?

Hey everybody, my play group is getting back into 40k for 5th edition (YAY!) and I was going to start chaos but my buddy really likes them and not wanting to step on any toes I was back too looking for an army. I was perusing the games-workshop site and came upon this.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...ameStyle=wh40k

I really love the new look of the Nids but havent played them since 3rd....This box set though seems the best way to jump back in. Oh and it has 3 carnifexs which is okay with me ;D

So back to my point, were looking to play 1000-1500 point games, I was wondring what might be some good additions to this.

I was thinking-
Battleforce to flesh everything out
Broodlord
Zoanthropes

Would these be good buys? Thanks!

P.S.- On the note of Tyrants. I dont mind tyrants....I just find them dull (at least in third) because it felt like if you didnt run a flyrant you werent doing it right....

So tyrnats a neccesity?
Valten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2008, 15:03   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tyranid Assult Brood-What to add?

In my opinion, Hive Tyrants are a must. I only use a Broodlord in joke games or when I'm playing somebody new and I want to give them an easy win to boost their confidence. Others around here will disagree, so it's really a playstyle difference. I never played 3rd ed. so I don't know how different Tyrants are, but some of the old veterans at the local game store say they're. In 1500 point games I run 2, both walking with 2 tyrant guards each.

If you're gonna use Zoanthropes, which are an awesome model both gamewise and looks, use a minimum of 2 but preferably 3.

Other than that, yes, those are good buys to flesh out your army. Tyranids have really good starter sets in the Assault Brood and Battleforce Box.

Oh, and welcome to Tyranids, enjoy the Om Nom.
FuzzyTumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2008, 19:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I recommend three Zoanthropes, and a Hive Tyrant. Almost all lists that are medium to large sized will run at least one hive tyrant. And, yes, most lists have a winged hive tyrant.

The battleforce would also be a good purchase because it comes with another Carnifex, as well as more troops.

Either way, I say #1 is the hive tyrant.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 20:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Tyrants are pretty good and after a few games of going "If only my canrifex had a higher initiative I wouldve beaten that _insert enemy here_ in CC" you will probably add one anyway.

Zoanthropes are good, with warp blast and psychic scream coupled with some Barbed stranglers on your warriors and carnifexs you can blow some holes in half his army and have the other half pinned.

If you want you could just buy a battleforce and convert the fex into a flyrant and the warriors into zoanthropes.
greenpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2008, 14:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeZ33
I recommend three Zoanthropes, and a Hive Tyrant. Almost all lists that are medium to large sized will run at least one hive tyrant. And, yes, most lists have a winged hive tyrant.

The battleforce would also be a good purchase because it comes with another Carnifex, as well as more troops.

Either way, I say #1 is the hive tyrant.
I agree. A winged tyrant is probably the best out of the tyrants due to mobility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpotato
Zoanthropes are good, with warp blast and psychic scream .
Again I agree with this statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyTumpkins
In my opinion, Hive Tyrants are a must.

If you're gonna use Zoanthropes, which are an awesome model both gamewise and looks, use a minimum of 2 but preferably 3.
Again I say Tyrants and Zonathorpes is a must.

But I will also add that a broodlord is actually a lot better in 5th edition due to run and side flanking. I'm using him a lot more than before and it helps out greatly.

If you use warriors I suggest resit the urge to put a lot of points in them. I suggest no more than 32 points per model. I use warriors but I like my cheap and effective. I rather lose a 75 point squad than a 140 pt squad of three warriors due to shooting.

But Lot's o luck and I hope you enjoy nids.

And yes you should field a tyrant. it's almost a must. But warriors is OK too for swarmy swarms.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 15:38   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyTumpkins
I only use a Broodlord in joke games
Quit question tangentially related to the above.

Buddy of mine was talking about fielding a force that was nothing but a broodlord and 40 genestealers.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

I think that without VERY careful placement and some luck on his damage rolls, those things are going to eat my Tau alive.
cheaterbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2008, 18:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Don't diss the Broodlord. I know many prefer the Hive Tyrant for obvious reasons, but using him only in joke games is far too severe. He's a monster; an absoloute monster. He's even better since the addition of Run. He takes some thinking and planning beforehand, of course, as you have to Infiltrate him for maximum effect, but to say he's that worthless is just wrong.

If you don't like Tyrants, Valten, then nothing should force you to take them. If it's just Winged Tyrants that you don't care for then fear not; there are several perfectly good walking Tyrants. I only have experience with the Winged variant, so I really couldn't go into more detail than that, I just know that foot-slogging Tyrants are alive and well and I'm sure there are 'Nid players around here who have used them with great results.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2008, 19:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Alright well ive got the Brood and battleforce on the way > Ive decided to maybe convert the 4th carni from the Battleforce into a tyrant of sorts. Thanks for all the ideas and info.
Valten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2008, 01:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think a carnifex conversion could look pretty cool.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2009, 18:09   #10 (permalink)
Francisco

If im not mistaken the assault brood box contains:

6 tyranid warriors
16 genestealers
16 hormagaunts
16 termagants/or other variants
3 Carnifexes

IF you buy this youre receiving at free the 3 fexes that are in this box

To expand this army, in my opinion based in my 6 years of playing with tyranids its the cmon combo with the hive tyrants.
But I prefer HIve tyrant(depends to the reamaining army composition), still my favourite is the winged with 2x t-linked devourers.
On foot I prefer a cheap tyrant with 2x scything talons, extended carapace and some stuff to improve is CC skills. I made this to attack near a CC fex and along with the tyrant guards. Extremely dificult to break, it can be called the most likely to the specially formation "living fortress" on apocalypse game style.
Broodlord its a good one, if properly upgraded and dont forget to get flesh hooks on him, he a got an impressive inciative value of 7, and attacking enemy models in cover wont be nice to see him attacking in last.

Soo to add that assault brood box I would recomend even for upgrade youre current army to alot of other ocasions.

1 broodlord
1 Hive tyrant (you will choose wich one is the best)
2/3 zoanthropes
some ripper bases (4/5)
more gaunts, if possible 16 more
And seems its all properly balanced to all that comes in youre way