Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

choosing pieces??
Old 12 Nov 2008, 19:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to copperdusk
Default choosing pieces??

I'm stuck with my 1000 point list. Either a lictor and a third ravener with 2 sets of scything talons, or a carnifex with Adrenal glands (WS), flesh hooks, tusked, barbed strangler and a set of scything talons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal Ferret
chat is pretty much a run-on penis joke
copperdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: choosing pieces??

Depends on the rest of the list, honestly. Another monstrous creature is never a bad thing (though thw adrenal glands and tusked are useless on him currently, definitely think about the configuration before you follow through), but I have a soft spot in my heart for Lictors.

Depends on what you're list would need, run through some games and find out if you need the flexibility and maneuverability of the Lictor/Ravenor, or just more toughness and power (in the form of a Carnifex).
Old 13 Nov 2008, 20:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Unless the Adrenal Glands are +I the Flesh Hooks on a Carnifex are just as useless as Tusked (I thought you meant Thornback, I never use either of them, so please excuse me.) Flesh Hooks in 5th edition no longer have any defensive capabilities. They only let you preserve your Initiative during a charge into/through cover, and since the Carnifex starts with 1I not being reduced to 1I doesn't really help you.

I'm not a fan of Ravenors, but if it came down to a Lictor and a Carnifex, I suppose I would ask to see the rest of the list. The Carnifex would be good for eating a tank. I'd maybe change over to a Venom Cannon with Talons instead of Strangler with Talons. The Lictor's Feeder Tendrils are great if you plan to stick him into the mix with a lot of other assault troops that aren't already backed well enough with other Tendril effects.

If the rest of the list somehow couldn't make the deciding vote, I'd probably go with the Carnifex.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 21:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's a fun model anyways ;D

I find the +I is very useful, striking before those dreaded powerfists (terminators!) can often mean the difference between death and survival. Weapon Skill is okay, but this Carnifex doesn't look paticularly tooled for close combat anyways. Flesh hooks are hard NOT to justify, they're so cheap and give you no penalties for assaulting into cover, as well as increasing mobility. Personal preference, I suppose.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 15:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Flesh hooks are hard to justify, because despite being cheap, they DO NOTHING. Flesh hooks don't let you strike simultaneously anymore, they only let you use your normal initiative (either 1 or 2 if upgraded). When charging into cover, your initiative is otherwise reduced to 1.

The +I isn't very useful either, as you'll still be mashed into a pulp by the many other powerfists, and if you struck simultaneously you still get your attacks. Against any squad OTHER than terminators, you strike before their powerfist but they'll be taking casualties from the normal guys who have already struck blows anyways.

Personal preference aside, there are some options that are just plain ineffective. Might as well load up on Thornback and Symbiote Rippers.

That said, I'd choose the Carnifex (if properly upgraded) as opposed to the lictor and ravener. Of course, to judge fully which would be more useful I'd have to see the list, just like everyone else.
Ninja Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like spineback over flesh hooks, unless you intend(or suspect your opponent will) to put alot of terrain you need the hooks to climb over. You get a free spinefist, and it acts like grenades in CC anyway.

The CC fex with I2 because one of my staples. It riled my MEQ opponents so much that they started running all their terminators with lightning claws or regular power weapons.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2008, 05:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to jhontauel Send a message via MSN to jhontauel Send a message via Yahoo to jhontauel

post your list please...

I vote for the lictor. carni's are cool. but I've had even more fun with the lictr. if you run a infiltrator army he becomes insane. broodlord stealers with scttler to outflank and hordes of little guys like wise. add a winged hive tyrant and winged warriors and he wont know what to do. I am running a list like that on friday. I set up with only a biovore in the beginning ad then he lictor lets me control the multiple reserve rolls.

Playing 40k since 2002
jhontauel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2008, 07:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It's hard to say without the army list. Do you mind linking it?

I personally would do a CC carnifex. I would strip a few upgrades on it to squeeze a few more gaunts into the list; but that's without me seeing the army list.
Old 02 Dec 2008, 08:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Ork
Flesh hooks are hard to justify, because despite being cheap, they DO NOTHING. Flesh hooks don't let you strike simultaneously anymore, they only let you use your normal initiative (either 1 or 2 if upgraded). When charging into cover, your initiative is otherwise reduced to 1.
Flesh hooks allow you to count vertically impassable terrain as difficult terrain; how you handle terrain with your opponents can mean this rule is very important, or useless. A wall in your way and slowing you down with having to go around? No problem, just climb over it.