Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Blast rules, Deathspitter warriors better than ever ?
Old 30 Oct 2008, 00:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default New Blast rules, Deathspitter warriors better than ever ?

I used to put Deathspitters on my Warriors, and with the new Blast rules, I wonder which config is the best.

I still don't know if I want my warriors to be shooting only or multi-purposes, so I'll offer many choices. Note, no Toxic upgrades are taken into consideration except if stated otherwise.

#1 Warrior with T-L DS and ES. 32 pts
I think that is it the warrior that offers the most to hit capacities for the lowest price. But I don't know if the re-roll is really THAT useful (to justify a +/- 3 pts over some cheaper models...

#2 Warrior with DS, ES and a mix of Rending Claws/Lash. 30/29 pts
These are probably the most versatile of the DS Warrior version. The Blast never completely miss, and if so, not often, with some great CC capacities due to Rending and combined with Lash, even MCs can fear them... take this Dreadnought and WraithLords (and Daemons, and Tyrants, and !!!)

I did great with my old DS Warriors, when we used to MISS and have PARTIALS, so I really do not see how ''bad'' these could be, and I'd like your thoughts on this. Also, for 5 more points, I could wound Marines on 2's and possibly jam a dreadnought on his foot at range. But is it worth it (considering I will probably put a fully upgraded Venom Warrior in each of my squads...).
Old 30 Oct 2008, 17:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Re: New Blast rules, Deathspitter warriors better than ever ?

I posted a thread on equipping warriors.
But for the short answer.

Deathspitters on Warriors are great. Shooty Warriors are the best kind of Warriors, and deathspitters are one of the best weapons for them, only losing out to the twin linked devourer in anti-infantry power.

Like you said deathspitters are useful against troops and vehicles. even without toxin sacs.

One thing I will let u know however is to take a LOT of them if you want to actually hit. The new scatter rules SUCK there is NOTHING good about the new scatter rules. That's why the 'all partials' are hit rule is so good. They realized how sucky the scatter rule was so they made a give away rule to balance it out for us. So just try to bring enough guns to get at least one on target.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 18:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Deathspitters are the niche weapon of your warriors. While you could put them on your MC, more often than not their high attack and strength will encourage the use of TL-Devourers.

One plus (well I am not sure if its legitimately a plus), is that at least you can cut on the enhanced senses. That one inch less scatter is the last thing I am going to worry about. In my current brood that I run (the shooty one) I answer your question with all of the above. While I cannot understand why I did it, I can appreciate when it works. One has TL-DS, one ST and DS, the other RC and DS.
This brood should not work, but so far no complaints.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 22:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
Deathspitters are the niche weapon of your warriors. While you could put them on your MC, more often than not their high attack and strength will encourage the use of TL-Devourers.

One plus (well I am not sure if its legitimately a plus), is that at least you can cut on the enhanced senses. That one inch less scatter is the last thing I am going to worry about. In my current brood that I run (the shooty one) I answer your question with all of the above. While I cannot understand why I did it, I can appreciate when it works. One has TL-DS, one ST and DS, the other RC and DS.
This brood should not work, but so far no complaints.
I agree on the enhanced senses. blast weapons dont' need senses the 1" scatter will not help you very often. You may as well save your points. Only thing on warriors that needs senses is the venom cannon and devourers.
Old 03 Nov 2008, 20:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I must disagree. I fight opponents who tend to use loose formations, and the 1" less scatter that enhances senses provides has come in handy on several occasions. It is also helpful in use against vehicles and smaller formations.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 18:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

While handy, I don't find them economical. I guess I am OCD for trying to fit points in. In a large army with 6 of my warriors toting deathspitters, the points I save give me that many more spinegaunts for cover. In all likelihood I would end up going half and half.

(While I am at it, the Enh. senses brood would probably get a barbed strangler to boot from the saved points from brood two).
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I suppose you could roll that way. I actually use a higher niche of unit, usually fleshborer gaunts, as well, so I'm not after minimum costs per unit. I tend to deal with alot of T4 units, though, so I find that borergaunts in large broods work the best, backed up by multiple warrior broods, all sporting talons and spitters.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote