Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warrior based army, still an option in 5th ?
Old 29 Oct 2008, 23:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Warrior based army, still an option in 5th ?

Hi guys,
I know there are some threads out there about Warrior based armies, but I don't want to read back all that *old* stuff. What I want to know is if they are still good in 5th ed. They pretty much are the only army I did not play when I had my (due to some recent topics...) Dinosaurs !!! lol

If I ever had the chance to start 'Nids again I would make it Warrior based, with pretty much everything shooting

Also, do you think that a small brood of 8 spinegaunts with the without number ability are god-like ? I mean, 2/3 of the missions are played with Objectives, and 1/3 of them we can put it into our own deployment. For 64 pts, you get a unit that will score or contest (unless you really have to let your opponent kill them on his last turn without having you to play next...)
Old 30 Oct 2008, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Re: Warrior based army, still an option in 5th ?

Yes warrior based armies are good. I've got 33 warriors and i've gone warrior heavy and won.

And no small units of gaunts with without number are no good 33% of the time. In kill point games they'll be a cash cow. So you'll need more bodies in there without number will still be useful down the road, just not as useful as it was on 8 man teams.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 17:26   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
In kill point games they'll be a cash cow.
But then again you don't need to use the rule once they die, do you? The rule says you may, not must. If you bring them, start with them in reserve if it's a kill point game aswell. Then go into cover and do lurk, going to ground and repeat, giving you up to a 2+ cover save for 5pts a model.

Although I agree with them being in higher numbers is often more useful.

50pts scoring can turn a objective-game around, and although it can go just the other way in a killpoint game I dont see the 50pts being passive & surviving as very big loss in games over 1500pts.

Speed needs no translation.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 17:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift
Quote:
In kill point games they'll be a cash cow.
But then again you don't need to use the rule once they die, do you? The rule says you may, not must. If you bring them, start with them in reserve if it's a kill point game aswell. Then go into cover and do lurk, going to ground and repeat, giving you up to a 2+ cover save for 5pts a model.

Although I agree with them being in higher numbers is often more useful.

50pts scoring can turn a objective-game around, and although it can go just the other way in a killpoint game I dont see the 50pts being passive & surviving as very big loss in games over 1500pts.
Mmmm, i've never interpreted the without number rule to be 'optional' once you give it to a unit. I'll have to look that up.

Mmm well you are right about that, it says 'may'. However I don't know if it's justifiable to have without number and not make use of it.

And also if we go by the rule it would imply that if you choose not to let them come back at the beginning of the next turn after they are killed, that you can no longer bring them back in later turns, making them a permanent loss.

And without number is good but it's definetly not cheap.

I would rather just make a bigger without number brood and get several uses out of it.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 18:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
And without number is good but it's definetly not cheap.

I would rather just make a bigger without number brood and get several uses out of it.
Indeed they would be a 1 killpoint permanent loss, but then again taking a bigger number of them against the wrong list might result in 1 killpoint being almost as quickly wasted and if you dont bring them back it's a bigger point loss.

But yeah I suggest taking a bigger number, or just taking a huge number without the bloody rule :P = no points wasted in a kill point match, and a huge number to score with in a normal one.

Speed needs no translation.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 21:20   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Or how about a large unit, 15-20'ish, to run out infront of your army, if the enemy shoots them, he risks facing them again later and if he doesnt, they will reach him and everything behind them get coversaves?

Its a lose/lose situation for your opponent, while it wont win you battles, it will cause your opponent to spend a lot of brainpower on a crappy spinegaunt unit.
Gorbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 21:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

On the thread of warrior heavy armies, I'm actually considering it now... I mean, 30+ deathspitters? I know of few armies that can match that many blast templates in a conventional game. It would be brutal on anything except super mech forces (which is why you fill up HS with carnifexes!)

On the thread of spinegaunts and without number...

Can't you give gaunts scuttlers as well? And without number? Which could theoretically allow you to outflank with them right? I think that's great in non-killpoint games, pulling gaunts in from reserves on all sides of your opponenet. Could be very powerful, especially with small units *shudder* By killing them you only bring them closer to you. Don't have my codex on hand though, so I'm not sure if it's legal. Could anyone check for me?
Old 04 Nov 2008, 09:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You can give them scutlers so they can outflank, once. After they are dead they have to return on your board edge and cannot outflank again.

I would love to do a warrior heavy army, haven't tried it yet though. They aren't cheap money wise.

The only thing that would put me off 30+ deathspitters is all the scatter dice rolling you'd have to do, the shooting phase would last forever.
cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote