Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Splitting units of troops.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 18:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to copperdusk
Default Splitting units of troops.

In my 1000 pt. army I plan on having 32 spinegaunts and 32 hormagaunts. I'm just wondering if I should split them into 4 units of 16, or keeping 2 maxed out units??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal Ferret
chat is pretty much a run-on penis joke
copperdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 19:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Splitting units of troops.

16 is a good number to have for gaunts. You are not so large that the unit is difficult to move around, but still large enough to be resilient to hold objectives. I used to run units of 16 all the time because it was the limit of my models, but I was never disappointed with them.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 19:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

The reason I choose 16 model broods over 32 model broods is because when you have only two broods of 32 guys, that makes which brood to shoot an easy choice. There's only 2 broods of troops. Focused fire is a lot easier to bring about, possibly reducing your broods to less then half in a few turns of shooting.

However, if you have 4 broods of 16, not only are they easier to hide behind terrain and get a cover save, but he can't really focus on one squad at a time, due to how they can be placed. This means it's more likely that a brood will either make it to the objective or they'll get to the units of your opponents, where you want them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Mage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 23:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperdusk
In my 1000 pt. army I plan on having 32 spinegaunts and 32 hormagaunts. I'm just wondering if I should split them into 4 units of 16, or keeping 2 maxed out units??
16/16, or 20/12. Also consider getting another box of Gaunts and running 20/20. 20 is a nice sweet spot, able to absorb more damage and stay functional, more shots/attacks, and not completely drowning in models or tying up too many points in a single unit.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 00:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine
Quote:
16/16, or 20/12. Also consider getting another box of Gaunts and running 20/20. 20 is a nice sweet spot, able to absorb more damage and stay functional, more shots/attacks, and not completely drowning in models or tying up too many points in a single unit.
I do like the 20/20 idea but I would have to tweak my list to much to make room for them. I think I hit 1000 exactly.

On a tactical note I'm think something like: A unit of spine gaunts screening a unit of hormagaunts on either side of my synapse creature.(symmetry is bliss)

Quote:
Old 28 Oct 2008, 01:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Hormagaunts work well in groups of 14 or more
and spinegaunts in groups of 24 or more

so I'd say split the hormagants and leave the spinegants in a huge mob of 32 and use them for cover.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 01:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
so I'd say split the hormagants and leave the spinegants in a huge mob of 32 and use them for cover.
You should that wouldn't be bad, seeing as i would only have three units of troops to take objectives??

Quote:
Old 28 Oct 2008, 02:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Split them all into 16. you force your opponent to choose between 2 targets to 4, and those units can cover for one another.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2008, 05:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
You should that wouldn't be bad, seeing as i would only have three units of troops to take objectives??
objectives aren't all that important for tyranids. Once you start worrying too much about objectives you'll start losing games because our troops are some of the most useful in the game in terms of versatility and adding pressure to an opponent.

Tyranids are a fear army. It's mostly our 'advance' that scares opponents into making bad judgements. So try to keep that up, 3 units for troops is more than enough for any mission.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 11:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you aren't using the last 2 Force Org slots for other troops (like Genestealers) I'd probably split them into:
16 Gaunt
16 Gaunt
8 Hormagaunt
8 Hormagaunt
8 Hormagaunt
8 Hormagaunt

Now, that does put you at a disadvantage in Kill Points for an Annihilation game probably, but in the same vein it'll force your opponent to split shots into your oncoming Hormagaunts. They're probably the ones being targeted, and this would ensure than no more than 8 die at a time on the way in from shooting from one particular unit. Additionally, you can charge two groups of 8 for 16 total into one combat, so you aren't really at a disadvantage in CC either compared to one unit of 16, and gain the benefit of your opponent needing split attacks between the groups there too. It also gives you more run rolls, mobile flexibility, and the ability to capture more Objectives in a non-Annihilation game.

Now, I don't usually play for the objectives to start, I also rush to try and overwhelm for a total wipe out of my enemy, but when late game if that's not looking good to happen, then I like having the option of making a dash for the objectives to secure the win.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote