Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Did you know that Tyranids are NOT bugs?
Closed Thread
Old 26 Oct 2008, 18:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Did you know that Tyranids are NOT bugs?

I was wondering, how many people know that tyranids are not bugs?
Nor have they ever been meant to represent bugs.

The bugs concept came from the Imperials point of view and of course people who play the game that gave the Nids that nickname.

When I first was introduced to Tyranids my first impression was "these guys look like Dinosaurs" just looking at the Carnifex, Tyrant, Hormagaunts and others I got that Dinosaur feel to them. And I was pretty surprised when I started playing against other people outside my group and they referred to my models as bugs or roaches and other type of bug references.

At first I thought they were just mad because they were on the losing end of the battle. But then I realized they always call them that and are obessed with calling them that. Which was pretty annoying to me. Because from my point of view my great army which I viewed as something monstrous, jurassic park-type, monstrous, godzilla-esque destroy all in sight had been reduced to a mosquito.

Mosquitos and bugs just aren't as cool to me. Then one day I was reading up online and I read that the creators intention all along was to create an alien dinosaur-like race. And that made me feel a lot better, evil alien dinosaurs are a lot more interesting that evil bugs from space.

In my army's color scheme I tried to have a reptilian look by making their skin green to push for the dino within. So I was curious to know if the rest of you see the Nids as Bugs or Dinos. And if you knew that the creators meant for Dinos not Bugs.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 18:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Did you know that Tyranids are NOT bugs?

I'm not sure why you're saying "Did you know that tyranids AREN'T bugs?" without any kind of evidence, especially when you see that:

-Tyranids have carapaces which resemble the exoskeletons of bugs
-Every single tyranid weapon involves either acid, claws, or bugs.
-They have six limbs, with segmented exoskeletons sheathing the muscular structures underneath
-All of their fluff points towards them being of a Hive, or a Brood, and always working together regardless of their individual genotype for the good of said Hive or Brood.

I'm not sure which game creator told you they were modeled off of dinosaurs and not bugs, but I'd really like a transcript.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

This piece on warpshadow.com is where the creators of the current Tyranid codex express their desire to make them more like dinosaurs and crustaceans to "get rid of the 'insect' tag".

I want to note that in the current world, all "hive" creatures that are on the planet Earth are all in the phylum Anthropoda, and of those only crustaceans with a suspected hive social structure are not considered insects.

Regardless of what the creators created them in the image of, the fact remains that Tyranid are highly characteristic of insects. I don't think I need make points for why this is true. However, I must point out that they are mainly to be described as "alien" first and foremost. Tyranid are bio-engineered organisms backed by a hive mind. Ultimately the only thing that makes them "insect-like" is the fact that they are a hive. Their current physical presence in the Imperium might look like an insect, but you must remember that they (as a race) take on whatever form is the most efficient at doing what they do best: absorbing all life into the collective bio-mass of the hive. In any period of time (because they are highly [and quickly] adaptable) they can change into what ever form the Hive decides is most effective. It could be insect-like now but animal-like w/ a hive social structure later.

I call them "bugs" when I'm in a hurry or just want to explain them to people. Because, like I said, the creators might have tried to model them after dinosaurs or whatever, but their characteristics remain insect-like and that is the easiest way to explain them to people. Ultimately they are just highly-adaptable bio-engineered organisms. With genetic code always changing they can be one thing one day and something entirely different the next.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 19:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
I was wondering, how many people know that tyranids are not bugs?
Nor have they ever been meant to represent bugs.

The bugs concept came from the Imperials point of view and of course people who play the game that gave the Nids that nickname.

When I first was introduced to Tyranids my first impression was "these guys look like Dinosaurs" just looking at the Carnifex, Tyrant, Hormagaunts and others I got that Dinosaur feel to them. And I was pretty surprised when I started playing against other people outside my group and they referred to my models as bugs or roaches and other type of bug references.

At first I thought they were just mad because they were on the losing end of the battle. But then I realized they always call them that and are obessed with calling them that. Which was pretty annoying to me. Because from my point of view my great army which I viewed as something monstrous, jurassic park-type, monstrous, godzilla-esque destroy all in sight had been reduced to a mosquito.

Mosquitos and bugs just aren't as cool to me. Then one day I was reading up online and I read that the creators intention all along was to create an alien dinosaur-like race. And that made me feel a lot better, evil alien dinosaurs are a lot more interesting that evil bugs from space.

In my army's color scheme I tried to have a reptilian look by making their skin green to push for the dino within. So I was curious to know if the rest of you see the Nids as Bugs or Dinos. And if you knew that the creators meant for Dinos not Bugs.
I knew this and I've said it several times and people always DENY IT. I mean seriously, I don't *care* if they have six legs or a Hive Mind, they WERE DESIGNED TO BE LIKE DINOSAURS. Notice how they don't have anything else extensively insectoid, say, for example, their HEADS. That'd be a lot more supportive to the insect theory.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 19:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I just call 'em 'Nids for short.

I always figured they were a reptile-crustacean hybrid type thing.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

Old 26 Oct 2008, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with Xanzar; regardless of their creators' initial intentions, 6 limbs and their fluff references to scuttling around stands out as very insect like.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 19:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I can absolutely guarantee that Tyranids aren't bugs. Bugs are insects of the order Hemiptera, from Earth. The Tyranids aren't even loosely related to them. They originate from outside the Milky Way galaxy... that's a fair distance from Earth. Just because they resemble insects in some ways does not mean they are insects.

Science-fiction geeks without a background in biology tend to forget that the types of animals we have on Earth are the types of animals we have on Earth. Other planets might have similar organisms, or at least organisms that fulfil similar roles, but that doesn't mean they'll belong to the same groups.

Tyranids, for example, have blood. Bugs, arguably, don't. They also, given their size, most likely have lungs or a similar system. Again, bugs don't. These are more important than the number of limbs of the scuttliness. Judging by some of the Tyranid models, they also have internal skeletons - again, bugs don't.

You can argue about what they look like or act like, but this will always be entirely subjective. To some people, they'll look more sauroid (lizardlike? noes!), to others, more insectoid. But they're neither dinosaurs nor insects.

Back on topic...

Quote:
I realized they always call them that and are obessed with calling them that. Which was pretty annoying to me.
Would you say it... bugged you?
Old 26 Oct 2008, 20:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudomancer
I can absolutely guarantee that Tyranids aren't bugs. Bugs are insects of the order Hemiptera, from Earth. The Tyranids aren't even loosely related to them. They originate from outside the Milky Way galaxy... that's a fair distance from Earth. Just because they resemble insects in some ways does not mean they are insects.

Science-fiction geeks without a background in biology tend to forget that the types of animals we have on Earth are the types of animals we have on Earth. Other planets might have similar organisms, or at least organisms that fulfil similar roles, but that doesn't mean they'll belong to the same groups.

Tyranids, for example, have blood. Bugs, arguably, don't. They also, given their size, most likely have lungs or a similar system. Again, bugs don't. These are more important than the number of limbs of the scuttliness. Judging by some of the Tyranid models, they also have internal skeletons - again, bugs don't.

You can argue about what they look like or act like, but this will always be entirely subjective. To some people, they'll look more sauroid (lizardlike? noes!), to others, more insectoid. But they're neither dinosaurs nor insects.

Back on topic...

Quote:
I realized they always call them that and are obessed with calling them that. Which was pretty annoying to me.
I like you.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker-Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudomancer

Back on topic...

Quote:
I like you.
I second that notion.

and well Ninja Ork, I guess these guys gave you a proper answer or rather 'transcript' before I got the chance to state how I back up my claims.

I'm glad to see that i'm not alone in this anti-bug crusade of mine. lol
I do agree they are Aliens first and foremost. And their basis from a creator's point of view was a dinosaur not a damn bug.

If i were the creator of tyranids i'd be ticked off at people calling them bugs. But that's just me. It would 'bug' me :P
Old 26 Oct 2008, 20:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This has come up time and again on this board. Let's disspell the "bug myth" once and for all:

READ THIS

If you are too lazy to read, it is an interview with Jes Goodwin just prior to the current Codex:Tyranid being released. Here's the part that most refer to when they are supposed to be "alien dinosaurs."

"We wanted the range to have the appearance of having evolved – rather than having been redesigned – in keeping with their background,” says Jes. “We wanted players to be able to field models from any of the ranges that have been produced over the years.”

In order to do so, Jes went back to the original Tyranids, as they appeared in the First Edition of Warhammer 40,000. “A misconception that has grown up around Tyranids is that they are insects,” explains Jes. “They’re not that at all, but they do have six limbs. People even refer to Tyranids as ‘bugs,’ which I think is fine – from an Imperial Guardsmen’s point of view, referring to something he is completely ignorant (and scared) of in this way makes sense!” Jes relates that originally, Tyranids were conceived more as “alien dinosaurs,” a phrase Phil also brought up. “Even the name offers a clue,” says Jes. “Tyran doesn’t just relate to the planet on which the race was first encountered – it is also meant to conjure mental images of beasts such as the Tyrannosaurus Rex.”

Part of this process was to ensure that the many and varied creatures in the army had a consistent anatomy, a task that started with the plastic Gaunts and Warriors produced for the last version of the Codex. “Obviously, each creature has six limbs, whether they are arms, legs, wings, weapons, or whatever,” explains Jes. But there’s more to it than that. “Each creature has five plates on its forehead, claws that bond with, rather than hold, weapons, and a number of spiracles – small breathing holes – located at the side of the head and tail.”

I have emphasized the quote to illustrate. We can see what the designer's intents were in creating the Tyranid range. The six limbs are meant so that they all look uniform, not because they are "bugs."

Hope this clears up some conceptions about the race as whole.
Closed Thread