Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyranids and Missions
Old 24 Oct 2008, 01:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001
Default Tyranids and Missions

With 2/3rds of the missions in 5th based on controling objectives, and with Tyranid troops not none for our ability to withstand hails of fire for LONG periods, I was wondering how many of you guys actually aim to capture the objectives or try and simply kill all the troops on the opposing side?

I find myself worrying less about how I'm going to reach the objectives for the missions and more on how I'm going to eliminate everything on my opponent's side of the board. I suppose this is because I view 'Nids as a more aggressive force on the table and this is reflected by my style. If I can atleast remove all the opposing troop choices, he can't control any of the objectives and I can maybe claim them in the last turn. This lets me play to my true style and I can have more fun in the game, rather then always wondering if my Spinegaunts, Hormagaunts, or Stealers are gonna be able to hold the objective or if they'll falter on superior firepower.

So, how do you guys handle missions other then Annihilation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Mage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 04:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Re: Tyranids and Missions

I agree 100% with you there. Objectives have never been my thing i'm a hardcore tyranid, I play to wipe everything out in the best way I can think of. Objectives are simply secondary.

What I will do however is leave a squad of gaunts behind on the most secure objective I can find and then launch everything else at my opponent and force him to fight and worry about not getting wiped out while my unit safely stays behind.

That's the beauty of horde armies. We have very cheap troops. So we can easily leave a unit behind while the rest of the army fights without taking a big hit in our offensive power.

I mean seriously 10 - 20 spinegaunts are hardly missed on the frontlines. And if you make them lurk in 4+ cover area terrain or what not, they can lurk and go to ground up until the final turns benefiting from a 2+ cover save against enemy fire should help one of them to survive.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 05:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I usually avoid the objectives and let my opponent think he has them, then near the end of the game I use what I have left to take as many objectives as possible, while destroying the troops holding them. (That is, if everything works out :P)

That way I can have alot more leeway with my troops, and not be so worried about having a bunch of units of them to take objectives.

I mean, since when does controlling some lame objective matter to Tyranids, they'll just eat it.
Ivellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:12   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Be careful not to lurk at a game's end, if your gaunts are lurking they cannot hold objectives. I typically attempt to table my opponent instead of holding objectives, unless I have a genestealer squad that decided to outflank late in the game and far away from any action. Those bums get to stay and go to ground on an objective.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I just wanted to mention this thread about lurking and capturing objectives. Lurk until your last turn, then cancel lurk and choose to not move and you'll be able to capture whatever objective you were camped on.

Also, in my games, I always attempt to at least wipe my opponent off the map. I'll challenge an objective at the very end, but in the meantime I play it like annihilation anyway.

(Edit: butchered the whole post. I personally understand what is going on now, as I mentioned below, but also for anyone who reads the thread now won't see my potential confusion-making post.)
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hate to say it Xanzar, but it specifically states in the codex that Lurking Tyranids may not claim objectives or hold table quarters.

And Akaiyou, I like the idea of lurking a brood for claiming the objective till last turn, but we have to be careful about weapons and units that can ignore that wonderful 2+ cover save we get. Sternguard, Whirlwinds for Marines; Tempest Launchers for Eldar; AFB for Tau; and Flamers for everbody else.

Quote:
Old 24 Oct 2008, 15:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I thought I was clear in my first post that I wasn't 100% sure (didn't have time to re-read the thread, so I just linked it for whoever wanted to look it over) but skimming the thread now it seems 77 summed it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77
So to review, based on the wording of the codex, we have these options for units that are outside of Synapse:

1. Stand still - this means no movement whatsoever. Note that this declared in the Movement phase.

2. Choose to act normal - this is subject to a Leadership Test at the start of the Movement phase. If you pass, you act normal; if you fail, you fall back as detailed on pg. 28.

3. Lurk - given the conversation, we know how this works. This is a decision that is made "alternatively" from taking the leadership test. This means no taking this option if you fail the Leadership Test. In this case, you cannot claim objectives, etc.

Taking option 1 and 2 allow you to be scoring, option 3 does not.
Sorry for thinking it was any other way, I have personally never really used this tactic and I always send my Gaunts forward with Synapse.

Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 15:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I apologize if I offended you, didn't mean to sound mean or anything. I wasn't exactly sure either, so I had to check in the codex myself. I've never used Lurking or any of the options we're given, other then try a LD check if I find myself unlucky.

And I have to say, I'm a little surprised how many people choose to ignore objectives with 'Nids. Is it because of the army itself or just the style you choose to play?

Quote:
Old 24 Oct 2008, 17:17   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

For me it's the style, I like Hormagaunts, Raveners, and possibly winged synapse (when I finally finish those wings) backed by a solid shooting Corps and possibly a CC carnifex. I either slice and dice or get slaughtered because my troops are set up to be protected by out-killing in close-combat, not weathering gunfire.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 21:07   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

2+ cover saves? I had never heard of that before. Does that mean the lurk save and the go-to-ground save are cumulative? Is there an official ruling on this? It seems a little broken...
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote