Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dealing with Chaos Daemons?
Old 22 Oct 2008, 03:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Dealing with Chaos Daemons?

Anyone know what the best units for dealing with chaos daemons are? I haven't faced them yet, I have a game set for tommorrow and I'm trying to make a list suited to fight them.

Rending doesnt seem like it'll help much since they all have invulnerable saves anyway. Since they mostly deep strike, scuttlers don't seem to be a good idea either, so what have you guys found to be useful?
Old 22 Oct 2008, 17:12   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Dealing with Chaos Daemons?

A couple points I have found useful combating Daemons:

1. Countering Deepstrike
The biggest advantage (or disadvantage) that chaos daemons have is their ability to deepstrike the whole army. In this respect they have the whole board to chose from in where to strike. Two ways of countering this can be either having many mobile elements in your army to counter their actions (concentrated firepower/assault or refused flank), or by going horde style and taking up as much of the board during deployment. The latter makes deployment behind your lines difficult or impossible, thus forcing them to attack your front lines. Spine gaunts can cover a lot of the board for little cost (although with table quarters deployment, this might be an issue). Infiltrating broodlord with large retinue can threaten a large area, and lictors could be a lot of fun to ties up shooty units. Deepstriking also force daemons to be deployed in clustered formations, giving deathspitters and barbed stranglers perfect targets.

2. Poor Invulnerable Saves
Most (all?) daemons sport Invul saves, but this doesn't worry us too much because we don't have many high AP weapon choices anyway. The best choice to counter this is high rates of fire, living ammunition, and shear number of CC attacks. For shooting, devourers seem like an obvious choice, but like I said before blast weapons have great utility on turns one and two. For CC, I would choose hormagaunts or even ripper swarms over genestealers (backed up by some catalyst zoans) for volume of attacks for the point value.

3. Unit specialization
Like the Eldar, Daemon units are great for something and terrible at most other things, so bloodletters and daemonettes will wither under fire and flamers and horrors will wilt in CC. Basically, shoot the choppy ones and chop the shooty ones.

This list is by no means complete, but hopefully it is a good start...
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 21:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Pashendar
A couple points I have found useful combating Daemons:

1. Countering Deepstrike
The biggest advantage (or disadvantage) that chaos daemons have is their ability to deepstrike the whole army. In this respect they have the whole board to chose from in where to strike. Two ways of countering this can be either having many mobile elements in your army to counter their actions (concentrated firepower/assault or refused flank), or by going horde style and taking up as much of the board during deployment. The latter makes deployment behind your lines difficult or impossible, thus forcing them to attack your front lines. Spine gaunts can cover a lot of the board for little cost (although with table quarters deployment, this might be an issue). Infiltrating broodlord with large retinue can threaten a large area, and lictors could be a lot of fun to ties up shooty units. Deepstriking also force daemons to be deployed in clustered formations, giving deathspitters and barbed stranglers perfect targets.
Just want to point out that Daemons do not deepstrike their entire army. They split their army into two groups and one of these group will be deep striking force, while the other group is deployed normally.

I just want to make that clear.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 05:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Incorrect, Brass Claw. The army is split in half, the first lot come on first turn, the rest deepstrike over the next few turns. In short, if you take a horde and spread out, you can ruin their chances of landing safely.
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 22:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw

Well, I stand corrected.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 19:25   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I played Daemons twice as Tyranids.

They're pricks in the neck.
I found 1 way of dealing with them in my view(750 only)
I encountered 4 daemons at a time twice.
I had two warriors and 5 gaunts with a biovore to help.
The gaunts slew 2 of them on the first turn but took a whooping, 4 back. I then used my warriors and slew both the remaining Daemons.
On the second turn though my gaunts killed 1 and were massacared. The biovore claimed a 2 man hit and warriors finished the last off.

Over all if you are to use this tactic, keep some gaunts nearby. Gaunts act as attacking meatshields so you can come to grips and get the warriors and biovore ready.

Thanks.

THUNDERSTOMP FTW.
meatballs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 23:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I love playing daemons ;D They're quite simple to beat, really.

Numbers, numbers, and numbers are your key to victory here. I've had large broods of spine gaunts destroy daemonettes in combat, simply because they had the strength of numbers to do it. Hormagaunts are great for fast reaction, and I like zoanthropes for synapse because they can warp blast enemy soul grinders or daemons. Monstrous creature's are also rather useful, but only if you can keep them in a shooting role. With daemons, it's easy to blow them to pieces under a withering round of shooting and then tear them to pieces in combat. I can post the list I used up here if you want. I wouldn't be worried though, some common sense goes a long way in these games and it shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Old 19 Jan 2009, 02:24   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I say your best bet will be having a hell of a lot of troops shooty and cc, just gotta keep churning out those wounds.
I personally think Nids are probably one of the best armys to fight the daemons due to the number of shots and attacks we have which will devastate an enemy with low saves, inv or not.
Old 19 Jan 2009, 02:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Personally I think your best bet is to take your best all comers list and not tailor any list to a specific army.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 04:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Agreed with previous comment. However, if you have any infiltrators you can put them anywhere on the board to give you some serious board control (Broodlord, mainly)... helps out a lot for grabbing objectives and stuff.