Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Equipping your Tyranids for 5th ed. - Biovores
Old 16 Oct 2008, 03:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Equipping your Tyranids for 5th ed. - Biovores

BIOVORES
My analysis

BIO-WEAPONS
Ranged

=========
Toxin - MAYBE - These are good to have because you always wound enemy models on a 4+ due to strength always = enemy toughness. AP4 makes this very effective against 4+ save infantry, however this loses out to frag mines against models with toughness 3 with anything but a 4+ save, and only does equal damage against T4 enemies with a 3+ or better save. Also note Toxin mines can ONLY attack open topped vehicles and will ONLY glance (automatically however).
Frag - YES - These are the choice mines! They are the most cost effective and do more damage against the large majority of infantry models. And are still able to glance AV 10.
Bio-Acid - YES - These are the most expensive but most versatile of the mines because you can aim it at almost any infantry unit and vehicle and have a chance at damaging it.

Recommended Configurations To Use
GENERAL RECOMMENDATION
Biovores do a good job against heavy infantry armies, so this is THE time to use 'em if you want to use them. However do not rely on them as your only heavy support choice, make sure that you have at least one sniper fex to support him. The biovore does a very poor job on his own, however as a support fire/harrashment unit he does this job well.

3 Biovores
w/Frag Mines

- The best choice because of consistency of use. This will be the most useful against the majority of targets that you fire your Biovore at and it's also the most cost effective of the 3. Rating 10/10

3 Biovores
w/Bio-Acid Mines

- The most expensive but is decent as an anti-light vehicle weapon, as well as having the best AP of the 3. The problem is that it lacks strength, and most targets that save on 3s will come with toughness 4. meaning you'll wound on 5s. On the plus side the new blast rules makes this a better option because now that there's no partials it means you'll land more hits and thus more wounds per blast even if you wound only 1/3rd of what you hit. Rating 9/10

3 Biovores
w/Toxin Mines

- This one seems to be the weakest link due to the fact that it's only really effective against Tau and armies with large amount of units that save on 4s. Against any other target the other 2 mine types do a much better job. So unless you are facing Tau or similar, do NOT take this one as you'll be paying more for less. Rating 6/10
Old 20 Oct 2008, 16:52   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Equipping your Tyranids for 5th ed. - Biovores

One thing that's good to mention is that lone biovores are sad biovores. You get the most bang for your buck (ha!) when you fill out the group.

I think you may be giving the toxin mines a raw deal, there's enough units that are armor 4 (Aspect Warriors, Firewarriors, Stormtroopers, 'Ard Boyz, Scouts, Genestealers and Warriors with EC) to make toxin mines worth it. I'd argue that denying armor saves in many cases is preferable to the 3+ vs. absolute 4+ to wound. It can also threaten MCs, as they would be less willing to walk through something that wounds them on a four than on a six.

I'd actually say that the loser of the group is the acid mine. At Strength 3 it has trouble hurting MEQs, it's primary target, and with 3+2d6 armor penetration you can reliably glance armor 10. It's basically a gambler's spore. It can kill a plague marine and it can penetrate armor 14, but both require more sixes than I'm comfortable with.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 17:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Akaiyou, you should mention that Toxin mines will get two auto-glancing hits, due to open-topped vehicles being "vulnerable to blasts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by romorini
One thing that's good to mention is that lone biovores are sad biovores. You get the most bang for your buck (ha!) when you fill out the group.
Seconded. Take at least 2, but filling the slot is best for Biovore support.

Quote:
I'd actually say that the loser of the group is the acid mine. At Strength 3 it has trouble hurting MEQs, it's primary target, and with 3+2d6 armor penetration you can reliably glance armor 10. It's basically a gambler's spore. It can kill a plague marine and it can penetrate armor 14, but both require more sixes than I'm comfortable with.
St. 3 is a bit of a let down, but with the new blast rules, you are rolling more dice than you did in 4th ed. This means that those 5's and 6's come up all the more. I think that Bio-Acid is a solid choice for anti-MEQ and light vehicles. I've down heavier stuff too (Defilers, Predators), but I like to drop those mines on clustered troops. Even Crisis/Stealth Suits can be great targets. You are not taking Bio-Acid for the stregth of the shot, you are taking it for the AP. I would rather roll a 33% chance of denying an armour save than to roll a 50% chance of wounding only to have the target retain a 66% chance of shrugging off the wound.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 21:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77
Akaiyou, you should mention that Toxin mines will get two auto-glancing hits, due to open-topped vehicles being "vulnerable to blasts."

Quote:
Seconded. Take at least 2, but filling the slot is best for Biovore support.

Quote:
St. 3 is a bit of a let down, but with the new blast rules, you are rolling more dice than you did in 4th ed. This means that those 5's and 6's come up all the more. I think that Bio-Acid is a solid choice for anti-MEQ and light vehicles. I've down heavier stuff too (Defilers, Predators), but I like to drop those mines on clustered troops. Even Crisis/Stealth Suits can be great targets. You are not taking Bio-Acid for the stregth of the shot, you are taking it for the AP. I would rather roll a 33% chance of denying an armour save than to roll a 50% chance of wounding only to have the target retain a 66% chance of shrugging off the wound.
I have to agree with 77, I changed my mind after using them in a game against Necrons. The trick is that you need to be fighting enemies with lots of troops for the acid mines to really work. Like 77 said, with the new rules you roll more dice so you have better chance of getting wounds on your enemies.

However I also tested them in a different game on an opponent that used less troops and I really wished I had the frag mines instead to wound easier since I was getting less hits.

It all boils down to how many biovores you brought (i would never suggest anything less than max), the amount of models your opponent has on his list and how clustered he places them. It's a high rewards gamble with low risk as it's not overly expensive and can be used on damn near any target (just because it can be used doesn't mean it's effective against every target however).

By the way i thought the 'vulnerable to blast' to open-topped vehicles was removed in 5th edition and replaced with the +1 to armour penetration. Did i miss something?
Old 20 Oct 2008, 21:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77
By the way i thought the 'vulnerable to blast' to open-topped vehicles was removed in 5th edition and replaced with the +1 to armour penetration. Did i miss something?
No.... :-[.... I did. At least you get +1 on the glancing table.

Pg. 70 in the rules if anyone else is checking.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 04:40   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You have a point, last time I tried acid mines was against Necrons in 4th Ed. He kept his warriors at maximum coherency, I'd be lucky to get a hit, and when I did they'd stand right back up.