Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lash Whips - on Warriors and/or Carnifexes?
Old 12 Oct 2008, 13:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Lash Whips - on Warriors and/or Carnifexes?

I remember when the current codex came out and GW put up that great Carnifex article, the one with about 10 builds (most of them somewhat silly though), I instantly liked the Lash Whip armed Fex, I cant remember the exact loadout, but I've been tinkering with my own Denial Fex (2 x Lash Whips + Toxic Miasma).
This beastie slides right into the Elites section in 1500+ games and I think it would be fun against marines.

Now, with the new FAQ I've been thinking about making a "crowd control" Warrior brood, with Scything Talons and Lash Whips, to take on large mobs.

What I'm worried about is, while I think it would make some really cool and unusual models, am I better off taking more Scything Talons to increase my own attacks, rather than taking Lash Whips to limit the enemy's attacks?
Gorbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2008, 18:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001
Default Re: Lash Whips - on Warriors and/or Carnifexes?

The problem with Lash Whips is the fact that most units you face only have 1 attack standard. So, unless you're being charged, the Lash Whips aren't doing anything at all and are useless. Also, not only are you possibly not limiting your opponent, but you're ARE limiting yourself with attacks whether it be Rending Claws on the Warriors, or something on the Carnifex. Mainly I would simply stay away from them.

One time Lash Whips would be useful is against Orks. Considering the number of attacks Orks get, even when they don't charge, limiting them would be good. However, I personally believe you'd be better off simply getting more attacks yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Mage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2008, 19:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage
The problem with Lash Whips is the fact that most units you face only have 1 attack standard. So, unless you're being charged, the Lash Whips aren't doing anything at all and are useless. Also, not only are you possibly not limiting your opponent, but you're ARE limiting yourself with attacks whether it be Rending Claws on the Warriors, or something on the Carnifex. Mainly I would simply stay away from them.

One time Lash Whips would be useful is against Orks. Considering the number of attacks Orks get, even when they don't charge, limiting them would be good. However, I personally believe you'd be better off simply getting more attacks yourself.
giving them less attacks won't help a carnifex because you only get 2 attacks base so you'd only kill 2 orks per turn. And they all would still have many attacks to hit back.

Also correct me if im wrong but lash whip only works against models in base to base doesnt it?
Old 12 Oct 2008, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

I never said it would help a Carnifex. I said it could help in GENERAL. Lash Whip Warriors with Scything Talons still get 4 attacks on the charge against Orks, which isn't bad. However, I just don't find it a worthwhile weapon to equip. And yes, it only works in base-to-base, decreasing its usefulness even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Mage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 14:41   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It might not be too bad on warriors as your opponent has to maximize base-to base. Spread out your warriors a bit to maximize the possible surface area and it could be effective. I think there's plenty of units with more than one attack, most assault troops come with a +1 for two CC weapon bonus so you should be able to find something. bioplasma may be a useful biomorph here, as you'll need all the attacks you can get.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 19:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't like giving up attacks for lash whips, though the one time I'll do it is with Tyrant Guard, since it tends to be bad-ass elite units with multiple power attacks going after my HQ.

I just prefer to be stabby.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote