Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Equipping Tyranids for 5th ed. - Zoanthropes
Old 09 Oct 2008, 22:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Equipping Tyranids for 5th ed. - Zoanthropes

ZOANTHROPES
My analysis

HIVE MIND POWERS
Catalyst - Maybe - Very cheap and useful power when facing down enemies with high (I) stat. You use this power on other broods to allow them to strike even if killed before they get they get a chance. Can be useful as well if your brood did not take Flesh Hooks and are assaulting units in cover. However taking this power means you can't take some of the other more useful powers.
Psychic Scream - Yes - This power is sweet! too sweet maybe? Dropping enemy leadership has so many benefits that I won't even list them all. Just one of these is useful on it's own right and when you take more of them together it becomes exponentially deadly. I specially recommend this power against armies that already have low Ld like Tau.
Synapse Creature - Yes - The most useful power hands down! Almost compulsory in all cases unless u want to take zoanthropes as a psychic scream wall along with a Tyrant.
The Horror - No - No! just no! This power is hardly useful on a Tyrant let alone a Zoanthrope. Just pretend it's not there. It "WOULD" be very useful in a pack of psychic screaming zoanthropes however most of the time enemies will try to shoot a zoanthrope, and there are other powers that would be much more useful in that slot.
Warp Blast - Yes - Our most deadly shot due to high AP and Strengh. Can be pricey but worth every penny specially against MEQ armies. And remember any vehicle within 24" can be sent to the scrapyard (move and shoot it down).

Recommended Configurations To Use
GENERAL RECOMMENDATION
Zoanthropes are the ish! I love these guys they can be used in many ways and tend to be a very cheap and reliable source of synapse due to their permanent Warp Field. Many times it's worth taking a group of zoanthropes instead of a carnifex because of the added synapse you can get for your units and because warp blast is a very good weapon and can shoot even the toughest AV 14 enemy vehicles down within 18" range. Also keep in mind that Zoanthropes do NOT need to be equipped Identically! So you can always mix and match your psychic powers to complement each other or handle different tasks. Also note that you can always just take 1 power with a 2nd one being entirely optional.

3 Zoanthrope @ 195 Pts
Synapse Creature; Warp Blast

- This is the preferred set-up allowing you to support strongly with synapse as well as giving you another unit that can kill enemies at a range and even take down the toghest AV vehicles. Rating 10/10

3 Zoanthrope @ 150 Pts
Catalyst; Psychic Scream

- This set-up is a Hive Tyrant combo that can prove deadly to any enemy. Able to support other units with catalyst and seriously drop enemy leadership withing 18" range. You COULD drop catalyst and save some points however I find the added support is very beneficial to your other units since it'll take you at least 1 or 2 turns to get within 18" of an enemy for psychic scream to be useful. Rating 9/10

3 Zoanthrope @ 195 Pts
Psychic Scream; Warp Blast

- Another Hive Tyrant combo gets expensive but allows you all the benefits of warp blast while you move towards your target. Within 18" range this combo becomes very strong causing many enemy casualties and will easily cause them to fall back due to the -4 leadership from Tyrant + Zoan psychic screams. Rating 8/10

3 Zoanthrope @ 165 Pts
Psychic Scream; Synapse Creature

- This set-up is good if you don't want your zoanthropes to team up with the Tyrant for a psychic scream enemy melt down. Just one scream is still very useful in causing enemy to fail their tests. This set up shines as a assault support providing synapse and helping to increase the chance for sweeping advance. Rating 8/10

3 Zoanthrope @ 150 Pts
Catalyst; Synapse Creature

- Very useful if your zoanthropes main task is to provide synapse for your gaunts. Catalyst works very well here when you face off against armies that have several high I units. It's also useful if you are taking many many gaunts and want to save points on flesh hooks. Rating 6/10

3 Zoanthrope @ 135 Pts
Synapse Creature

- The best 'cheap' set-up. Just taking Synapse is useful when you don't have points to spare and need strong synapse for your units. Just remember that that's all their be good for. Rating 6/10

3 Zoanthrope @ 150 Pts
Psychic Scream; The Horror

- The one instance when this could possibly be useful is when fighting a CC army and you are intending to support your units in CC with Psychic Scream to help sweeping advance results. This set up will prevent your zoanthropes from being assaulted most of the time and be useful at lowering Ld. If you want synapse u can drop one scream and add synapse to one of the zoanthropes. Rating 6/10
Old 10 Oct 2008, 08:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw
Default Re: Equipping Tyranids for 5th ed. - Zoanthropes

First of all, I would like to thank you Akaiyou for writing up these great articles. My question is this, Over a SniperFex(Carnifex with Venom cannon and Barbed Strangler) and 3 Zoanthropes with Synapse Creature; Warp Blast. Which is the better option when it comes to Anti Tank and Anti Infantry?

Old 10 Oct 2008, 11:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Claw
First of all, I would like to thank you Akaiyou for writing up these great articles. My question is this, Over a SniperFex(Carnifex with Venom cannon and Barbed Strangler) and 3 Zoanthropes with Synapse Creature; Warp Blast. Which is the better option when it comes to Anti Tank and Anti Infantry?
That really depends. Sniperfexes have twice the tank busting range the Zoanthropes do, but Zoanthropes hit much harder.
However, Zoanthropes perform exceedingly well against 3+ save armies. Warp blast is very nasty for that.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 12:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Claw
I like my Zoanthropes. A Carnifex w/ VC & BS has much better range, but you can get ~2.25 Zoanthropes for the same price (assuming ES too on the Fex for same hit chance), and they they provide crucial Synapse support in addition to tank busting - and against 3+ save infantry they are brutal - even better now with the 5th scatter rules and no partials though the BS gains from that too - oh and that they can run they can get in range even faster now for heavy blasting, and with the cover rules from other units they are that much more resilient against AP2 weapons. Given the choice I'd take 2x Zoanthropes (and save points from elsewhere to get a 3rd, or spend the extra leftover point elsewhere) over the Sniperfex just about every time - historically speaking in my games they've just always worked out better. They've both got their niches, but I'm playing Space Marines and Necrons more often than anything else, so I like my Zoanthropes best. I might feel differently if my regular opponents played different armies though.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 17:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Well if this was 4th edition i'd choose the Sniperfex as an invaluable asset to the army. Sniperfexes at 148 points each are pretty cheap and useful.

However in 5th edition the venom cannon has been toned down and lost it's ability to 'wreck' a vehicle. However in most cases all you really need to do is keep a vehicle 'stunned' or get armament destroyed on it, to nearly render it useless. So that a venom cannon is still very valuable as it can get these results rather easily.

The problem with zoanthrope anti-tank power is that you must first make a psychic test and be within 18" of the opponent. This is a problem because in some rare occasions you'll fail the test and at times youll roll snake eyes or double 6s and be hit by the warp and it's gonna hurt. I just don't find the tank busting warp blast very reliable however it has the exact same strength and chance to hit (after a psychic test) that the venom cannon does with the exception that it CAN wreck and explode vehicles.

However you only get 1 shot per zoanthrope to achieve this, a sniper fex gets 2 VC shots and 1 BS shot. Which gives you better odds at doing 'something'

Against troops, the sniper fexe's BS is more useful against everything that is not 3+/4+ save. So 2+, 5+, 6+ are it's best targets. The sniper fex wins vs troops for me because it's a larger blast that can get more models hit and because it forces the enemy to make a pinning test! Never understimate pinning! I normally always shoot my BS first to see who I can pin, anyone you can pin you can then ignore and focus on a different target. A sniperfexes's job is not to wipe the enemy out but rather leave them handicap for the rest of the army to approach and eliminate. Zoanthropes with synapse and warp blast are the opposite, they are there to wipe the enemy out.

Zoanthropes are definitely one of the best options in the Tyranid codex I'd say a group of them in nearly every list you make for balance and save the other 2 slots for carnifexes, sniper or mixed.