Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyrant with devourers how many shots?
Old 08 Oct 2008, 11:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tyrant with devourers how many shots?

I've read many times about the advantages of equipping a Hive Tyrant with two devourers in order to get 12 attack dice with a re-roll (e.g. http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=72438.0 among others). Why is this not 6 dice with a re-roll, given the sentence in the codex "A Tyranid carrying two of the same ranged weapon counts them as a single twin-linked weapon"? I realize that these weapons are quoted as twin-linked in the Tyrants weapon options but then it makes no sense to pick it twice if this codex sentence is enforced.

Thanks for any help!
blacksauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2008, 12:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tyrant with devourers how many shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksauron
I've read many times about the advantages of equipping a Hive Tyrant with two devourers in order to get 12 attack dice with a re-roll (e.g. http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=72438.0 among others). Why is this not 6 dice with a re-roll, given the sentence in the codex "A Tyranid carrying two of the same ranged weapon counts them as a single twin-linked weapon"? I realize that these weapons are quoted as twin-linked in the Tyrants weapon options but then it makes no sense to pick it twice if this codex sentence is enforced.

Thanks for any help!
Don't have my Codex in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that when the weapon is already twin-linked, as is the case for the Devourer on the Hive Tyrant by default, then the addition of the same second weapon just adds a second twin-linked weapon of that type, effectively doubling the number of shots from the first on the creature as a whole. It's only when they weapons themselves aren't twin linked and you take two that that ends up twin-linking them rather than doubling the number of shots.

Again, I'd need to pull out my Codex and check exact wording though.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2008, 12:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezalhualixtlan

Don't have my Codex in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that when the weapon is already twin-linked, as is the case for the Devourer on the Hive Tyrant by default, then the addition of the same second weapon just adds a second twin-linked weapon of that type, effectively doubling the number of shots from the first on the creature as a whole. It's only when they weapons themselves aren't twin linked and you take two that that ends up twin-linking them rather than doubling the number of shots.

Again, I'd need to pull out my Codex and check exact wording though.
This is where that combination is coming from. Starting from the beginning, two of the same weapon on a model count as being one twin linked version of that weapon. In the case of the Hive tyrant and other Tyranid MC, they have one more slot open for weapons, adding another two weapons would mean that you have one more TL version f that weapon. So the first set of TL devourers gives you 2X shots (in the case of the Hive Tyrant) for a total of 6 shots. One more weapon slot remains, which could be filled by another TL devourer giving an additional 6 shots. In total this MC would have 12 TL shots, and due to living ammunition also re roll to wound, its no surprise this is a common configuration!

The case where you cannot double up on TL weapons is when using the Tyranid heavy weapons such as Barbed strangler and Venom Cannon. In such a case taking two of them counts as TL as usual, but each weapon uses up a weapon slot on its own.
Old 08 Oct 2008, 12:41   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the answers, this makes it much clearer .
blacksauron is offline   Reply With Quote