Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Carnifexes and Barbed Stranglers
Old 02 Oct 2008, 22:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Carnifexes and Barbed Stranglers

Hi,
I'm a former Tau player, new to Tyranids, and I just had a quick question regarding carnifex equipment. I know there is essentially room for two twin linked weapons on a carnifex (or two sets of scything talons, etc), but is it possible to give a single carnifex two barbed stranglers? I'm going up against an Imperial Guard army and I have a feeling that those might be more useful under the new rules than Venom Cannons.
Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2008, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: Carnifexes and Barbed Stranglers

No. They count as twin-linked per the codex.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 03:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

any two weapons of the same type count as twin linked. they don't fire separately you can only have dual twin linked weapons on deathspitters, fleshborers and devourers, on monstrous creatures.
Old 03 Oct 2008, 23:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gada Mazaha
Well, technically Yes you *can* give them 2x Barbed Strangler, it's a legal configuration, but as you said, they'll count as a single twin linked weapon when it fires.

Whether that's worth it or not, I don't know. I tried the configuration out shortly after I started playing 5th ed games, and I've had poor results - to the point I've been fielding CC Fexs almost exclusively now. I know it's random, but the few times I ran the 2x Barbed Strangler Fex, I had multiple turns where I Scattered poorly on the first shot, just missing my targets, so I opted to reroll, and scattered even worse - one time wiping out nearly an entire brood of my own Genestealers with a double 6 on the scatter dice - it was horrible and gave me a bitter taste for it. I've been much happier with running CC Fex's since, but then I've always been partial to a close combat army style-wise anyway.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2008, 01:55   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezalhualixtlan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gada Mazaha
Well, technically Yes you *can* give them 2x Barbed Strangler, it's a legal configuration, but as you said, they'll count as a single twin linked weapon when it fires.

Whether that's worth it or not, I don't know. I tried the configuration out shortly after I started playing 5th ed games, and I've had poor results - to the point I've been fielding CC Fexs almost exclusively now. I know it's random, but the few times I ran the 2x Barbed Strangler Fex, I had multiple turns where I Scattered poorly on the first shot, just missing my targets, so I opted to reroll, and scattered even worse - one time wiping out nearly an entire brood of my own Genestealers with a double 6 on the scatter dice - it was horrible and gave me a bitter taste for it. I've been much happier with running CC Fex's since, but then I've always been partial to a close combat army style-wise anyway.
See, that's what I'm afraid of. I'll be going up quite a bit of Imperial Guard and the Barbed Strangler seems like kind of an ideal weapon to take on your vanilla guardsman, as it is Str 8, Ap 5. I mean, it even has the potential to score a penetrating hit on vehicles (unlike the Venom Cannon)
Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2008, 02:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

twin-linked stranglers are horrible on anything that can take it, don't waste your points.
Old 06 Oct 2008, 17:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, it sounds good in theory, hearing the field experience sounds like it isn't god in practice. For my shooting carnifex I took away the specialization and gambled on the unsynergetic BS+VC. Maybe in your case where IG troops are his main quarry compromise with BS+TLDS?

At the end of the day, close combat fexes do look more reliable though.
Old 07 Oct 2008, 18:51   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I wasn't wild about the BS-DS fex I ran, but it was against marines, so take that as you will. The VC-BS and BS-Scything fexes are far more popular
Old 07 Oct 2008, 20:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

best carnifexes are any that have a venom cannon on it. the venom cannon is a must.

best set ups are VC + BS and VS + ST.

The BS sucks by itself and twin-linked. the BS only sounds great in theory on it's own doesnt actually work that well and it's horrible anti-vehicles.
Old 07 Oct 2008, 23:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
best carnifexes are any that have a venom cannon on it. the venom cannon is a must.

best set ups are VC + BS and VS + ST.

The BS sucks by itself and twin-linked. the BS only sounds great in theory on it's own doesnt actually work that well and it's horrible anti-vehicles.
BS is a large blast with the strength of a krak round - and that is horrible?

Consider that wounding rolls with a BS deny FNP for MEQ's, deny WBB, insta-kill MEQ's, insta-kill GEQ's, are murder against light-mid vehicles. The only thing that it cannot reliably engage is AV 14, and even then you have a chance.

With the new blast rules, I would always have at least one BS on a Carnifex. I think that they are that good, even if it is the only gun on your fex.

If you want an anti-tank fex, bring the VC too.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote