Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Gaunt Emerges
Old 28 Sep 2008, 18:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default New Gaunt Emerges

Well I'v decided my second army are going to be Tyranids. Following on from my Space Marine Chapter, the Blades of Purity, and their Deathwatch allies.
The technique of Lictors really appeals to me and I want to have a force that revolves around them. I'll be getting six genestealers in a trade on this site which I'll hopefully be getting by the end of the week. Next weekend I'll get the Codex as well so then I'll understand Tyranids better and also start looking at colour schemes and building a list.
So, any advice is appreciatted. I would particularly like help on how I can create a heavily themed force involving at least one Lictor, as I don't particularly know much about 'Nids. I want to create my own Hive Fleet but don't know how to go about it. Also, what would be good additions to some 'Stealers to make a 500pts list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2008, 20:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: New Gaunt Emerges

Welcome to the Swarm!

I would encourage you to check the stickies that are on this board. There is lots that you can take in and learn.

If you are going for a theme list, I would use all Genestealers, a Lictor and a Broodlord provided you are not playing CP rules. I have used lists like this in the past and they have worked well.

Also, it is good to hear another player commit to using Lictors on the front end. You'll probably end up having a ton of fun with them. I know I do. ^-^
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2008, 20:08   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

if you are building it around stealers get a broodlord. And i have enjoyed my Lichtor very much. escpecially in a 500 point game he could do some good damage to a vehicle or help the stealers finish wiping out a unit.
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 08:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

if you want to use lictor's as your theme I highly recommend you to use spinegaunts instead of genestealers like most people will recommend you.

Why? well Genestealers with Lictors is fluffier as they usually form the vanguard of the 1st wave of tyranid infestation.

however gaunts following behind a lictor's trail falls into the 2nd stage of infestation and the two compliment each other much more than with genestealers. Simply because gaunts make better use of the Lictor's abilities.

Get gaunts try to get 48 spinegaunts (they are very cheap point wise), your unit of genestealers should infiltrate with a broodlord as your HQ. and then have 2 lictors in your list and you are set to wreck terror!

You will most likely want another unit of synapse. Or in the mean while just give your gaunts scuttlers and let your opponent wonder what flank you'll come full force from.

The lictors really help boost the CC effective of gaunts immensely and vice-versa as the Lictor benefits greatly from the help of other units on the same target. Having 2 ensures that you'll spread your tendrils around effectively. Try to always make sure that you set up area terrain on your opponent's half of the board. Try to go for as much area terrain as possible to give you better strategic choices with the lictors you'll want to make a note of that because Lictor's can't deploy outside area terrain.

If your opponent happens to be occupying the area terrain you want so that you can't deploy without being 1" of an enemy then you won't be able to deploy there. Remember that.

Oh and welcome to the hive mind.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 13:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Lictors and genestealers, how can you go wrong. Maybe its a bit too early or overbearing but I find that having one expensive brood with Broodlord, and one cheap (for genestealers) brood running amok with outflank makes for a good time. By expensive I mean armor and maybe even rending and fleshhooks (as the Broodlord will give them the tendrils). Not to mention the lictors popping up AND using pheromone trail to help both units. Who needs a deployment zone!

Spinegaunts will come in useful when you find out that your genestealers just took a big point dent in your army. They are weak, but they are many. I regret not making more of them (I went through a termagaunt phase in which everything for a fleshborer )

I have been both ends of the genestealer heavy army, and I would prefer to stay on the bugs' side.
Old 03 Oct 2008, 08:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't have my codex to hand but I had thought that the Lictors entry was 0-1 (although you can field three that count as one Elites choice).

Can anyone confirm? Wouldn't want Broken to shell out for 6 and then be unable to use them in standard 40K games.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 10:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extartius
I don't have my codex to hand but I had thought that the Lictors entry was 0-1 (although you can field three that count as one Elites choice).

Can anyone confirm? Wouldn't want Broken to shell out for 6 and then be unable to use them in standard 40K games.
You are correct.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 16:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the help . Akaiyou and Sau1us, I understand your reasoning for using Spinegaunts but from what I know they just seem like cannon fodder and I prefer not to include any unit like that in any army I play.
Extartius, I didn't say I'd get six Lictors. I said I'm getting six Genestealers, which I've now got . I'll probably pick up the Codex tomorrow and compile a nice, 500pts list to see what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 18:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken
Akaiyou and Sau1us, I understand your reasoning for using Spinegaunts but from what I know they just seem like cannon fodder and I prefer not to include any unit like that in any army I play.
Unfortunately, I think you just picked up the wrong army if you decided to go that route, unless you play Nizilla or a Genestealer/Lictor heavy list.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 18:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Aye, there are no heros in a Tyranid army, all our gribblies lives are to be expended mercilessly in order to conqure the delicious prey-meat. And once that prey-meat is dead; drowned in a sea of gribbley corpses - we suck it all back up again through a straw

Welcome to the Brood ;D
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote