Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Equipping Tyranids for 5th ed. - Gaunts
Old 22 Sep 2008, 23:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Equipping Tyranids for 5th ed. - Gaunts

GAUNTS
My analysis
BIOMORPHS
Adrenal Glands (I) - NO - Unnecessary upgrade. Gaunts should be kept as cheap as possible to make them worth taking.
Adrenal Glands (W) - NO - same as above
Extended Carapace - NO - This is a 'decent' upgrade if you are going to fight an army with horrible AP guns. Will improve your gaunts survivable rate in both the field and CC. However it is VERY unlikely that you'll encounter this scenario.
Flesh Hooks - MAYBE - On the same boat as EC. This upgrade is useful in engaging units hiding in cover. However most of the time your guants will be a meat shield aimed at tangling enemy units, not necessarily aimed at trying to fight to win, rather fight to stall in which case the upgrade is not really necessary. However of all Gaunt upgrades flesh hooks is the most useful.
Scuttlers - MAYBE - One more on the maybe boat. Will help get your gaunts across to enemy lines faster but costs quite a bit. You are literally paying for every inch and the costs gets very high very fast for a very very vulnerable unit. Best used on smaller broods.
Toxin Sacs - NO - As great as having higher strength sounds, because of the ridiculous vulnerability of a 6+ save, this upgrade is quite possibly the worst you could give on almost every case. It has the added bonus of making your guns even more expensive as well to boot! Yay! Your cost effectiveness will take a very steep drop, and the 'benefits' are minimal in most situations.

WEAPON SYMBIOTES
Ranged

=========
Spinefist - YES - Best balance! Is the cheapest and most cost effective in keeping balance between shooting and CC ability.
Fleshborer - MAYBE - The best all around ranged weapon for gaunts. Useful against nearly any target lucky rolls can glance AV 10 vehicles. However your cost effectiveness takes a blow in CC as you are no better than spinegaunts and cost more.
Devourer - MAYBE - Powerful but the least cost effective of the 3. This weapon is what you'd get if you combined a spinefist and fleshborer having the abilities of both in 1. (the spinefist is TL but the devourer gets 2x shots so it's pretty much the same thing) the added range makes shooting more viable as an option for gaunts.

SPECIAL RULES
Without Number - MAYBE - This special rule is a bit pricey but can be ridiculously useful depending on how you use it. The most common tactic is to slap it on and rush ahead with your gaunts soaking enemy fire and letting the other units behind these gaunts move up, get cover saves and avoid being shot alltogether. Then when the fighting up ahead gets messy these guys will re-spawn and be able to take objectives or rush forward as reinforcements. A pretty fun trick is to keep your synapse up ahead, this will cause the gaunts to go into IB and the rules indicate that they will need to FALL BACK towards the nearest synapse creature thus they'll come running FORWARD to wherever your synapse is located, this is a double-edged sword tho so play with caution. Think of this upgrade the same as having extra units in RESERVES, except that you need them to die first before you can get the reserves on the table. Kamikaze is the way to go.

Recommended Configurations To Use
GENERAL RECOMMENDATION
First understand that prior to selecting a ranged weapon the minimum squad of 8 gaunts costs 32 points total. This means that without adding anything gaunts are just as good if not BETTER in combat than Hormagaunts. ANY ranged weapon you choose will make your brood less point cost effective in CC thus making spinefist the best balanced all-round in terms of cost and results.

24 Gaunt Brood @ 120 Pts
Spinefists

- The best choice all-round in cost effectiveness. Very cheap so you can toss them around without worrying about giving the opponents a lot of victory points. Works very well against IG, Tau and Orks. Will suffer against T4 enemies with a save better than 5+. Smaller broods are good in order to cover up more troop choices and reduce the damage of mass fire or blast weapons. However do not be shy about taking more numbers these guys are really cheap and work just as good in larger numbers even when getting pummeled by enemy fire. I recommend a squad of 8 - 24. 24 Spinegaunts can take out 2 MEQs per turn in shooting and 1.33 MEQs in CC, but their real usefulness comes from tying up enemy troops and CC which is what they end up doing most of the time. Rating 10/10

16 Gaunt Brood @ 96 Pts
Fleshborer

- The best all-round shooting choice. Will be able to damage the widest range of enemies with the most effectiveness. It is the absolute best gun for gaunts to use against IG, Orks and MEQs. Given that MEQs are the most common type in the 40k Universe this means that Fleshborers will always give you a fighting chance against most opponents. However the downside is that you are no more effective than a spinegaunt in combat and cost more and the sad truth is that as good as your shooting is you only have 12" range at which you are more likely to engage in combat. So that most of the time you end up throwing those extra points away for a better gun that you might never even use. Take in small to midsized broods 8 to - 16 models, this will be more point effective as taking larger numbers means half your guys wont even be in range to shoot their guns which is another big waste of points. A brood of 16 fleshborers will kill 2 MEQs per turn in shooting, the same as a large brood of 24 spinegaunts and for 24 points less! However be warned that once you enter CC your well spent points go to waste in terms of cost effectiveness. Rating 8/10

14 Gaunt Brood @ 98 Pts
Devourer

- Powerful! Strongest of the 3 ranged weapons for gaunts. Weapon of choice against TauEQ and models with T5 or T6, against other models it keeps a steady 2nd place being either as good as the spinefist or better. What you lose in strength of the gun you more than make up for with the re-rolls so do not be discouraged, plus the 18" range means that this is hands down THE gun to use if you actually want to SHOOT with your gaunts and avoid CC. In CC this is the least cost effective being just as good as a spinefist gaunt, also this does not just apply to CC this set up as a whole has a major cost efficiency flaw because the gaunts are so vulnerable to anything. But you CAN make up for it by slapping them in cover, avoiding CC and shooting anything in range. Remember these guys are NOT for CC they should be used strictly for shooting otherwise you are wasting a ridiculous amount of points. Take in small broods of 8 - 14 to make sure that the opponent doesnt put too much focus on shooting them and that they can get enough shots to damage whatever they shoot. A 14 strong brood will kill 2 MEQs per turn in shooting and costs about the same as the 16 strong group of termagaunts, thanks to the extra 6" range however these guys are more capable of making their shooting count the way it should. Rating 6/10

HORMAGAUNTS
My analysis
BIOMORPHS
Adrenal Glands (I) - MAYBE - This is a useful upgrade defensively as are most of the Hormagaunt's upgrades. Use it as a means of punishing your opponent before allowing him to attack you at full force. Just remember this upgrade is loses value against enemy units with initiative 3 as you already go first.
Adrenal Glands (W) - MAYBE - The truth is that a hormagaunt with this upgrade is in fact WORST overall than a Hormagaunt with NO upgrades. There is no reason to take this upgrade UNLESS you pair it with Toxin Sacs which makes for the deadliest combination against most enemy units. However is it worth the points? Probably not.
Extended Carapace - MAYBE - Same as with Gaunts. This is only good if you are being shot at by weak AP guns. However it's a bit better for Hormagaunts since they MUST be in combat to actually do anything worth while so you get more mileage with EC from Hormagaunts than normal Gaunts.
Flesh Hooks - YES - Useful and cheap. Take it whenever possible, Hormagaunts are not like Gaunts that you can simply throw in there and not worry
Toxin Sacs - YES - Toxin sacs make your Hormagaunts more cost effective! Yes they become more expensive per model but they will receive and incredible boost to productivity in CC compared to the cost of adding toxin sacs. Hormagaunts are usually very capable of reaching combat early so if you want meat shields use spinegaunts thats what they are for. Hormagaunst are meant to actually fight so always take this biomorph with them.

Recommended Configurations To Use
GENERAL RECOMMENDATION
Think of it this way, Hormagaunts are what you'd get if you paid 5 points for a combination of the Leaping biomorph + 1 Scything Talon, on your base Gaunt. So first and foremost ask yourself, are these 2 upgrades worth 5 points? If the answer is YES then you are in business, if NO then look elsewhere. NOTE: There's 1 missing point, which I already totaled in due to the Hormagaunt profile already having WS 4 meaning it already used up the Adrenal Glands (WS) from a basic gaunt's biomorph options. Hormagaunts NEED to be kept safe no matter how 'cheap' or 'expensive' they get you need to do your best to protect them until they reach combat. In most cases they can hit combat on the 1st turn with a roll of 6 on RUN, otherwise expect them to hit combat by turn 2.

12 Hormagaunts @ 144 Pts
Toxin Sacs +1 St

- The 2nd most cost effective set up for Hormagaunts. The strength bonus really comes in handy. Takes 12 of these guys to equal the CC power of the previous set-up. Statistically kills 2 MEQs. The pro to this set up is less points per individual model thus every individual wound in the squad will hurt the effectiveness less. But being a larger brood means easier for enemies to target you or drop a template on you. Also one of the best things bout this particular set up is that it gains an enormous bonus from Feeder Tendril benefits! The benefit puts it ahead of the previous mention in CC power by far, so if you are taking this make sure to keep another unit with feeder tendrils near it and you will chew through many enemies. Flesh Hooks again should be a must have for the most part, you know the drill, add at your discretion. Rating 10/10

9 Hormagaunts @ 117 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Toxin Sacs +1 St

- Has the same CC power of 18 un-upgraded Hormagaunts against the majority of enemy units you'll face and more CC power than any brood of 32 Gaunts!! This is the strongest set up able to take on damn near anything the enemy throws at you. The unit should start at 9 Hormagaunts to really be effective in CC they statistically kill 2 MEQs per turn without counting the charging +1 attack of the 1st turn. This is THE MOST cost effective squad of hormagaunts in CC with high cost but big rewards. Be warned they are still VERY VULNERABLE like a normal gaunt so if you are gonna use this set-up give them cover until you can get them into combat and let them work their magic. Flesh Hooks should always be a must for Hormagaunts but you could always not take it if you want to save points. Rating 9/10

18 Hormagaunts @ 180 Pts

- This is standard. 18 is the magic number to be able to kill 2 MEQs per turn like all the other set ups. Obviously this set up is really weak per model but as a group they do good, the draw back is that it costs the most at a total of 180 points for the same killing ability you get from the 117 point and 144 point squads. Large Blasts hurt this one the most because of their heavy reliance on numbers to do damage. It still performs just as good if it manages to make it into combat intact and you'll get all your attacks in due to the 3" CC zone of Leaping. Note that this unit can become ridiculously powerful within the range of Feeder Tendrils so it is highly worth taking if you are packing Feeder Tendrils in your army list. Flesh hooks is all the same story. Rating 6/10

14 Hormagaunts @ 154 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 WS

- This set up is NOT cost effective. It's not very useful at all and 14 of these guys will total up to the same CC power of the 3 previous mentions, killing 2 MEQs a turn. On the plus side there's a lot of wounds to go around so losing some to shoots won't hurt you as much, but if that is what you are looking for you are better off dropping Adrenal Glands and adding on 4 more Hormagaunts for 36 more points. Rating 5/10
Old 23 Sep 2008, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

I concided acid maw with Abbadon he would had 1.3 I rounded off.

Lictor - read pg.2 under rerolls and than pg.75 under preferred enemy and you will see what's wrong.

300pts of 50flesh vs 20 marines.

50 shots 25 hit 18.75 wound 6.25 marines die.

100 attacks 50 hit 16.7 wound 5.7 die rounding up a totel of 12 die

14 9 6 5die.

so 45 vs 8

60 spine vs 20 marines

45 hit 15 wound 5 die.

120 attacks 60 hit 20 wound killing 6 so 11 dead total

15 attacks 10 hit 7 wound 6 die
54 vs 9

In other words if you don't care about shooting use spine if you do a lot of shooting use flesh. No retreat came in effect at top .3333 chance added in.

fleshhooks on gaunts is bad use catalyst
a. cheaper
b. int 4 your probably going at the same time anyway.

c. makes your gaunts into a more expensive unit where a 10 pt power pretty much could do the same thing.

Also for 5 to 6 pt gaunts why spend 10 to 12 on one model. you get same attacks actuall more on a charge, xtra wound and can shoot.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

you lost me in that post, i'm completely confused please edit it to be more clear as to what exactly you are talking about.

Edit: Oh WTF is up with pg.2 does that really apply to preferred enemy?? That needs to be FAQed pronto!

Makes it pointless fluffwise to have a 'preferred' enemy that you can potential do less damage against in your reroll. the whole idea behind it (as described in preferred enemy) is that you are more 'effective' against your preferred enemy.

The re-rolls as stated in pg2 sounds more like the type you get for a scatter or some of those other abilities that usually specify that you must accept the 2nd result.

As the rules are right now tho, pg2 would apply to preferred enemy and that sucks majorly.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 12:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

I disagree with not taking Adrenal Glands(I) on Hormagaunts. Most armies you face are MEQs. Giving both Toxin Sacs and Adrenal Glands(I) means you strike before Marines, and hit them hard enough to dwindle their numbers so you take less casualties. Given I am against tailoring lists to an opponent, I take this upgrade always on my Hormagaunts. Their was quite an intensive discussion on this in the past, and I do believe Hypergaunts(Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands(I)) turned out to be the best option on a point for point basis.

For comparison:
Hypergaunt = Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands
Deathgaunt = Toxin Sacs

20 Hormagaunts is 200 points.
16 Hypergaunts is 208 points.
17 Deathgaunts is 204 points.

Against a standard tactical squad of 10 Marines.

On the charge against MEQ:
20 Hormagaunts get 60 attacks, 30 hits. 10 wounds. 3.33 dead Marines. 10 Marines strike back killing 2.8 Hormagaunts.
16 Hypergaunts get 48 attacks. 24 hits. 12 wounds. 4 dead Marines. 6 Marines strike back, killing 1.66 Hypergaunts.
17 Deathgaunts get 51 attacks. 25.5 hits. 12.75 wounds. 4.25 dead Marines. 10 Marines strike back killing 2.8 Deathgaunts.

As I have shown, Hypergaunts will kill slightly less Marines than Deathgaunts, and take 1.14 less casualties in return.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 21:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yes using adrenal glands will usually cost you the same as taking 1 less hormagaunt. If you look at what I posted, I never said 'do not take adrenal glands (i)'

i said 'maybe' as it's only helpful against I4 and I5.
While MEQ armies are the most popular you can NOT base your whole argument vs MEQ alone(i've noticed a trend in the forum towards this way of thinking). I base my arguments comparing efficiency vs most types and vs most types I have to say Adrenal Glands (I) is a maybe because it's not always cost effective to take where as Toxin Sacs helps vs everything, thus it's a 'must have'.

Also Adrenal Glands (WS) + Toxin Sacs is a more powerful combination than with (I). Take a look here

Hormagaunts are most likely to get the 'jump' on anything they target that's what they are there for. I'll do this based on MEQ to make a direct comparison. Compared to an standard tactical squad of 10(with a bolt-pistol + ccw sergeant as is the most common) = 150 points. And I'll base it against a close as possible squad of hormagaunts so these are all 156 point squads.

Round 1
13 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs - 3 kills (+.25 carried over)
12 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - 4 kills
12 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - 3 kills

10 SMs vs 13 Hormies w/Toxin Sacs - 3 kills (.06 carried over)
10 SMs vs 12 Hormies w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - 3 Kills (.06 carried over)
7 SMS vs 12 Hormies w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - 2 kills (.22 carried over)

Round 1 Battle Results - Both adrenal gland hormagaunts win combat. SMs No Retreat rule take .33 wounds added to their kill tally. Combat continues.

Kill Tally:
10 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs - +.25
9 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - +.33
10 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - +.33
7 Tactical Squad vs. TS - +.06
6 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(WS) - +.06
7 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(I) - +.22

Round 2 + Kill Tally
10 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs - 1.93 kills
9 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - 2.33 kills
10 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - 2 kills

7 Tactical Squad vs. TS - 2.28
6 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(WS) - 2
5 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(I) - 1.89

Round 2 Battle Results - Pretty hard to judge because they all caused 2 or very near to 2 kills on each other. But lets do it strictly by the numbers for simplicity. TS Hormies lost combat(.83), +WS tied and +I won. No Retreat

Kill Tally:
8 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs - +.93
7 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - +.33
9 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - +.33
6 Tactical Squad vs. TS - 1.11 (1 no retreat casualty caused +.11 tally)
4 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(WS) - +0
5 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(I) - +.89

Round 3 + Kill Tally (possible last turn of combat)

7 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs - 2.1 kills
7 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - 1.89 kills
9 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - 1.83 kills
6 Tactical Squad vs. TS - 2.05 kills
4 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(WS) - 1.39 kills
4 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(I) - 2.28 kills

End Combat Round 3 Results (If combat ends here add death tally rounding to nearest integer)
5 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs
6 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS)
7 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I)
4 Tactical Squad vs. TS
2 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(WS)
3 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(I)

By now it's evident that in the long run Toxin Sacs + WS is the strongest. Leaving only 2 space marines standing and 6 hormagaunts. Where as Toxin Sacs + I leaves 3 marines and 7 hormies.

However lets see how it goes if combat continues without interference
Round 3 Battle Results: Hormies (I) lose combat (+.83 tally), other 2 tied. No Retreat

Kill Tally:
5 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs - +.1
6 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - +.89
7 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - +.83
4 Tactical Squad vs. TS - +.05
3 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(WS) - +.39
4 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(I) - +1.11 (1 no retreat casualty caused +.11 tally)

Round 4 + Kill Tally
6 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs - 1.1 kills
6 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - 2.22 kills
6 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - 1.83 kills
4 Tactical Squad vs. TS - 1.44 kills
3 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(WS) - 1.5 kills
3 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(I) - 1.22 kills

Round 4 Battle Results - Hormagaunts +WS win combat, others tied.

Kill Tally
5 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs - +.1
5 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - +.22
5 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - +.83
3 Tactical Squad vs. TS - +.44
1 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(WS) - +.5
3 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(I) - +.22

Round 5 + Kill Tally
5 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs - .93 kills
5 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (WS) - 1.33 kills
5 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + Adrenal Glands (I) - 1.66 kills
3 Tactical Squad vs. TS - 1.55 kills
1 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(WS) - 1.06 kills
2 Tactical Squad vs. TS + AG(I) - 1.05 kills

Round 5 Results (If all combats end here, round to nearest integer)-
3 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs stuck in combat vs. 2 Space Marines.
4 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + AG(WS) win their combat without outside help.
4 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + AG(I) in combat vs 1 Space Marine sergeant.

Note that this is rounding off. If combat continued next turn 4 Hormagaunts w/Toxin Sacs + AG(I)would cause .67 wounds + their kill tally would equal 1.33 kills. Meaning they'd still be get return attacks from the sergeant likely killing one more gaunt before being killed the following turn.

I hope this helps clarify as to why it's better to take +WS instead of +I. Since WS will help against a wider range and also does infact outperform the +I.

I'm not saying that it's bad to take +I, on the contrary it's still a good thing to have as it's very good defensively. But in theory if you NEED to cut points from a super-powered brood of hormagaunts, it's best to take them off in this order:

Fleshhooks
EC
AG(I)
AG(WS)
and finally Toxin Sacs. (However be warned hormagaunts are LESS cost effective at base, so if you are NOT going to take toxin sacs it's best to not take them whatsoever).
Old 25 Sep 2008, 19:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: Equipping Tyranids for 5th ed. - Gaunts

Some math for Gaunts with various ranged weapons against different targets:

150 points of Spinegaunts is 30 gaunts.
150 points of Termagaunts is 25 gaunts.
150 points of Devilgaunts is 21 gaunts.

Okay, to hit!

30 shots. Spinegaunts hit 75% of the time. That's 22.5 hits.
25 shots. Termagaunts hit 50% of the time. That's 12.5 hits.
42 shots. Devilgaunts hit 50% of the time. That's 21 hits.

To wound!

On Guard EQ Models:
Spinegaunts: 50% wound, so 11.25 wounds that are unsavable to the Guardsmen. 11.25 dead.
Termagaunts: 88% wound, so 11.08 wounds against Guardsmen that are unsavable. 11.08 dead.
Devilgaunts: 66% wound, so 11.9 wounds against Guardsmen that do get a save. 7.85 dead.

On Marine EQ Models:
Spinegaunts: 33% wound. So 7.5 wounds. 2.47 dead Marines.
Termagaunts: 75% wound. So 9.38 wounds. 3.09 dead Marines.
Devilgaunts: 30% wound. So 6.41 wounds. So 2.12 dead Marines.

Now let's look at it if we add Toxin Sacs to said gaunts...

18 Spinegaunts in 150 points.
16 Termagaunts in 150 points.
15 Devilgaunts in 150 points.

To hit!

Spinegaunts: 18 shots. 13.5 hit.
Termagaunts: 16 shots. 8 hit.
Devilgaunts: 30 shots. 15 hit.

To wound!

On Guard EQ Models:
Spinegaunts: Wound 66% of the time. 8.9 wounds. 8.9 dead.
Termagaunts: Wound 92% of the time. 7.39 wounds. 7.39 dead.
Devilgaunts: Wound 75% of the time. 11.25 wounds. 7.43 dead after saves.

On Marine EQ Models:
Spinegaunts: Wound 50% of the time. 6.75 wounds. 2.23 dead.
Termagaunts: Wound 88% of the time. 7.07 wounds. 2.33 dead.
Devilgaunts: Wound 55% of the time. 8.27 wounds. 2.73 dead.

So, basic Termagaunts kill Marines the best for their points. Basic Spinegaunts kill Guardsmen equivalent the best.

So, in the end, most of the numbers are fairly close. It really boils down to personal preference.

[hr]

For these further calculations, Devilgaunts are assumed to have Toxin Sacs.

150 points of Spinegaunts is 30 gaunts.
150 points of Termagaunts is 25 gaunts.
150 points of Devilgaunts is 15 gaunts.

Against Tau(T4/4+Sv):
30 Spinegaunts get 30 shots. 22.5 hits. 11.25 wounds. 5.625 dead Tau. Best.
25 Termagants get 25 shots. 12.5 hits. 11 wounds. 5.5 dead Tau.
15 Devilgaunts get 30 shots. 15 hits. 11.25 wounds. 5.625 dead Tau. Best.

Against Orks(T4/5+Sv):
30 Spinegaunts get 30 shots. 22.5 hits. 7.5 wounds. 7.5 dead Orks.
25 Termagants get 25 shots. 12.5 hits. 9.375 wounds. 9.375 dead Orks. Best.
15 Devilgaunts get 30 shots. 15 hits. 8.33 wounds. 8.33 Dead Orks.

TEQ(T4/2+Sv):
30 Spinegaunts get 30 shots. 22.5 hits. 7.5 wounds. 1.25 dead Terminators.
25 Termagants get 25 shots. 12.5 hits. 9.375 wounds. 1.56 dead Terminators. Best.
15 Devilgaunts get 30 shots. 15 hits. 8.33 wounds. 1.38 dead Terminators.

Daakafex(T6/3+Sv):
30 Spinegaunts get 30 shots. 22.5 hits. 3.75 wounds. 1.25 wounds after saves.
25 Termagants get 25 shots. 12.5 hits. 3.82 wounds. 1.27 wounds after saves.
15 Devilgaunts get 30 shots. 15 hits. 4.58 wounds. 1.52 wounds after saves. Best.

Nurgle(T5/3+Sv):
30 Spinegaunts get 30 shots. 22.5 hits. 3.75 wounds. 1.25 dead Marines.
25 Termagants get 25 shots. 12.5 hits. 6.95 wounds. 2.31 dead Marines. Best.
15 Devilgaunts get 30 shots. 15 hits. 4.58 wounds. 1.52 wounds after saves.

Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 02:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I was wondering, since I was re-working my 3k list, what's the mathhammer for a hormagaunt with toxin sac and both glands? I'll attempt to do it myself tomorrow, but I figured if someone else already had it, then candy. I also saw your link to the damage calculator so maybe I'll be able to use that, but I'll look at it tomorrow.

I ask because I'm down to my last points and it's either more hormagaunts or more upgrades, and these hormagaunts are the dead last unit that could possibly be upgraded wisely.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 03:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

adrenal glands (w) + toxin sacs is the strongest combination (adrenal glands I is a defensive upgrade). But overall it's less cost effective than just taking toxin sacs.

So really first thing u should always give hormagaunts is toxin sacs and then either I for more defensive or W for more offense. You can always just give them both as it'll cost u about the same cost as just one less hormagaunt but remember now they will be quite expensive. Still very powerful damaging and able to handle return hits much better.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 03:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I see what you are saying by calling it defensive, but in another sense it *is* offensive. Did you happen to have actual numbers, though? again, I'll just calculate it myself if not.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 11:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

You failed to mention the possibility of outflanking with Scuttlers. Gaunts with Without Number and Scuttlers can potentially come back on the table from any of three board edges (only your opponent's table edge is immune). With Instinctive Behaviour forcing them towards Synapse, if they come on the table outside of Synapse range, this gives you an awful lot of options with them.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote