Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I m new to Tyranids
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default I m new to Tyranids

I m new to Tyranids, is Tyranids only good for melee? is their range weapon kind of blow? Because their AP is 5 OR 6? Which Fst attack is better? ravener or gargoyles/
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: I m new to Tyranids

Clean up your punctuation and grammar next time please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombevil
I'm new to the Tyranids.
Welcome aboard, there are many useful stickies (at the top of the Tyranid Board) that provide you with lots of information about the Tyranid.

Quote:
Are the Tyranids only good for melee?
Not only melee, but range too, it depends on how you upgrade them.

Quote:
Are their range weaponkind of a blow?
Not really, but it depends on what gun they have, or what kind of unit they are.

Quote:
Because their AP is 5 OR 6?
Again, it depends on the guns use, it can either kill infantry, or destroy tanks.

Quote:
Which Fast attack is better? ravener or gargoyles?
Many people share different opinions, so there is no 'better' unit, they both have their uses, the Gargoyles can fly over the enemy units, peppering them, whilst the Ravener can burrow underground and emerge right into an enemy squad and slaughter them.

Any other questions, ask away, there are many Tyranid players here who are happy to help.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

sorry english is not my first language , so it is kind of bad.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 01:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would suggest reading Stiogi's Tyranid Primer. It has lots of info on common army builds (ranged, melee, mix, etc) as well as some good info on the different units available. The stickies at the top of the Tyranid forum are of course good to read as well.

Another thing to note is that Warriors can be upgraded with Wings and can then be taken as fast attack choices as well. They can be upgraded to be very similar to Raveners with a similar point cost. They can also be equipped with ranged weapons while winged as well.

I think the Tyranid make for a nicely balanced army. They aren't super shooty and they aren't super melee. As Kakashi said, it all depends on how you build your army and upgrade your units. You can make a shooty army of all warriors and you can make a melee army of all warriors. It's really up to you, and that's one of the things that drew me to the Tyranids: being able to customize them to whichever style I want to play them as.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 15:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Greetings and welcome to the forums. It's great to have another Tyranid player here. I am one of the moderators of the Tyranid board and if you have any questions/comment/concerns, please PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Please take a moment to read over the Forum Guidelines and make sure to check out the stickies for a lot of information to help you on your way. I would recommend our Tyranid Tactics section as a good place to start.

Welcome here.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 18:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
is their range weapon kind of blow
Look into ranged carnifexes. I've had great success with x2 TL Devourer carnifexes as well as warp blast zoanthropes.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 04:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

My nid armies have outshot armies like tau, guard, eldar and marines. The only army to outshoot me is orcs believe it or not.

Also in hth how many things can stand up against a squad of 12 genestealers. only thing that comes close is harlequins and some god models who can strike first or at the same time.

due to 5th edition ravengers can shoot deathspitters pretty well.