Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bio titans?
Old 01 Sep 2008, 18:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Bio titans?

Hey I'm thinking of buying some/a Bio-titan for my Nid army which do you guys think is practical choice? I've been thinking about a HIERODULE but I don't really know how good they are they just look cool :-[

If any uses one or has fought against Bio-titans which do you think is the good choice?

Just to get it out of the way now I can't afford the HIEROPHANT or the HARRIDAN but feedback on those would be appreciated none the less

Fishstick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 18:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Bio titans?

Well I'd recommend the Hierophant but if you can't afford then I'll leave that =P

That leaves you with the Hierodules, the Trygon and the Malanthrope.

The Hierodules are very good at what they do, basically they're a big Carnifex either with guns or stabby. The guns, considering blast templates and the new blast template rules, will be obscenely effective. I'd go with the barbed hierodule on that basis.

The Trygon's quite useful but I'm not sure if they've cleared up its Deep Striking rule yet (in IA it doesn't die if it DSes into something, but I think in Apoc it still does... stupid). It can be an effective tank hunter if it doesn't die still.

The Malanthrope... meh. I don't really like it. I'd rather one of the big, obvious nasties.

The Bio-Titans are also very, very good at drawing fire. So if you have a big horde including Carnifex and horde, then any fire the enemy is throwing at your Titan isn't going at your other stuff - which will hurt them all the more when it lands.

It's all about personal preference. But I'd take the Barbed Hierodule, like I said, considering the new blast template rules.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 19:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yup yup, agree with Circus - the Barbed Hierodule is probably your best bet, I'll be adding one myself soon :P
Its scythed counterpart is slow and for the points - it can be easily avoided, its Heavy support deployed first, enemy can deploy away from it or simply run away when it gets close. Although new running rule may make this one more interesting. :P
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 21:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's worth noting that IA:A is technically the update to IA Update 2006, and so supercedes the previous books as far as the individual model rules go (note that each Legendary Unit datasheet states what it's FOC choice is, for normal play). It does away with Mass Points, however, and changes the units a bit. Both forms - IA:A and pre-IA:A - are probably equally valid for regular play, but for Apoc you will really need to follow IA:A.

Also, only the Hierophant is officially called a Bio-titan (though the Harridan could probably qualify due to size, it is no more a Titan than a Marauder Bomber is). While the Hierodules and Trygon are definitely Gargantuan creatures, they are not quite titanic (smaller than a Baneblade).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Well I'd recommend the Hierophant but if you can't afford then I'll leave that =P
It's a nice model, and quite deadly. Regenerate makes it nasty at the end of its life, rolling 7-9 dice and regaining wounds on 6s. The more you hurt it, the more firepower you have to throw at it to keep those wounds off.

Quote:
That leaves you with the Hierodules, the Trygon and the Malanthrope.

The Hierodules are very good at what they do, basically they're a big Carnifex either with guns or stabby. The guns, considering blast templates and the new blast template rules, will be obscenely effective. I'd go with the barbed hierodule on that basis.
Like you mentioned they're a bullet magnet, and can die pretty fast if caught out alone. At least, being Gargantuan, Immune to Instant Death and Fearless, and in turn by being Fearless, not restricted by Synapse (see the new 5th Ed Tyranid FAQ).

Quote:
The Trygon's quite useful but I'm not sure if they've cleared up its Deep Striking rule yet (in IA it doesn't die if it DSes into something, but I think in Apoc it still does... stupid). It can be an effective tank hunter if it doesn't die still.
The IA:A FAQ clears it up, it only dies if it DSes into another gargantuan or super-heavy, otherwise it counts as assaulting. Combine with the tunnel it leaves behind, and the formation with Raveners in main Apoc book, and it's a very nasty vanguard unit.

Quote:
The Malanthrope... meh. I don't really like it. I'd rather one of the big, obvious nasties.
It's pretty much a Hive Tyrant made to a specific build, with an extra rule. Almost points equal to making a Hive Tyrant with similiar options to get the same stat line. I use it in the regular game as a counts-as Tyrant if my opponent doesn't like IA rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thantos
Yup yup, agree with Circus - the Barbed Hierodule is probably your best bet, I'll be adding one myself soon :P
Its scythed counterpart is slow and for the points - it can be easily avoided, its Heavy support deployed first, enemy can deploy away from it or simply run away when it gets close. Although new running rule may make this one more interesting. :P
Not in Apoc nor 5th. Now, a side deploys everything at once. If it's really a concern, in Apoc, hold it in reserve and flank march it in.

Scything hierodule has the template to toast anything nearby, and in Apoc that's the hellstorm template. Plus 12" move, 2d6" fleet (or 1d6" + acid blast), 6" assault. That's a 20" to 30" assault threat range.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 02:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have a Malanthrope, as Maine pointed out I find it less of a "bio-titan" and more of a fancy HQ unit. I like using it in normal games, or counting it as a Zoanthrope if my enemy's don't wish to play with IA rules.

As for a titan, the barbed heirodule is solid, but you can't really beat the heirophant... don't we all wish we had that kind of money? My personal preference is probably torwards the Trygon over the Heirodule, simply because I like the Trygon's fluff a little better. It's slightly more unique than a really big carnifex equivalant, ya know? Also, it tends to draw much more fire away from your horde with it's deepstrike+assault rules. Can buy you one or two turns of enemy firepower.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 08:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

[quote=sionnach19]
I have a Malanthrope, as Maine pointed out I find it less of a "bio-titan" and more of a fancy HQ unit. I like using it in normal games, or counting it as a Zoanthrope if my enemy's don't wish to play with IA rules.
[quote]

The Malanthrope is not even a gargantuan creature. It sits about as tall as a Trygon, but it is less massive than a Tyrant - it has a long, thin tail.

If you want to counts-as a Hive Tyrant, the closest would be:

Hive Tyrant w/ 2 sets of Scything Talons
Toxin Sacs - to match strength up
Implant Attack (to mimic Anaphylactic Shock's "wounds cause Instant Death")
Warp Field

Malanthrope would still have Fleet, and Feeder Tendrils are better than any WS an HT can get. Other than that they would be very similiar in stats and cost.

Quote:
My personal preference is probably torwards the Trygon over the Heirodule, simply because I like the Trygon's fluff a little better. It's slightly more unique than a really big carnifex equivalant, ya know? Also, it tends to draw much more fire away from your horde with it's deepstrike+assault rules. Can buy you one or two turns of enemy firepower.
Trygon is also very intimidating once you put it on the table, and it towers over anything nearby... this is even more prominent by the fact it is an assault unit.

However, being unable to consolidate into assault means that, after it wipes out a unit or forces them to flee, it's wide open to being shot at that turn. That's where the invuln save comes