Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Holy crap a Flyrant?
Old 30 Aug 2008, 15:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Holy crap a Flyrant?

I have a friend who play a Nizilla list. I don't really have a hard time beating if I know im playing against it, but that seems like im powergaming so I don't like playing like that. Well he fields a winged hivetyrant with a warp field, giving it a 2+ armor save and a 4+ invul save. Then he fields another Tyrant with an EX carapace and adds 3 tyrant guard. Man, now it gets hard. What are the easiest ways to take these out. I don't want to know just to use it against him, its just that now that im reading his codex, seems those are damn near impossible to kill. Im tempted to start playing a nidzilla list now too.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2008, 15:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90
Default Re: Holy [i]Klkn[/i] a Flyrant?

Well the first thing I gotta say is power game all you want cuz with a list like that if its not called powergaming itself then i dont know what it. All I can say is try as many lascannons, plasmas, and w/e else you can field in spam mode. Just gunnin and keep gunning! Unless you play a CC army, it would help to know your army.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2008, 15:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Warp field gives a 6+ inv. save, not 4 +. what army do you play?
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2008, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_drummer_boi
I have a friend who play a Nizilla list.
It's not truly nidzilla unless it's also 'fex heavy. Nidzillas also have issues scoring in objective based games.

Is he running a lot of troops? He's dropping a lot of points into his HQ, if he hasnt backed up his synapse support with some warriors or zoanthropes, then he's got a weak spot; take out one of the tyrants and his synapse web collapses pretty quickly, weakening anything dependent on synapse (Gaunts generally get stuck or have to move towards nearest synapse creature; everything outside of synapse loses it's immunity to instant death)
Old 03 Sep 2008, 15:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The way I stand a chance against Nidzilla (I don't win near every time!) is focus fire what you can, run from what you can't. The times I do win is when heavy fire takes down one or two TMC, and half my army runs from the other 4 or so. With my Marines, I engage them in cc with death company, but other than that few things in my army will stand a chance. Even if I get a perfect deployment and maneuver well, all he needs to do is make some good saves, and for me to make some bad ones, and it all goes downhill. Focus fire, run, and counter charge, that what my marines do, my Tau can't even do the counter charge :-/ .
Old 03 Sep 2008, 20:37   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

you will find him alot easier to beat if he follows the rules and gives his flyrant the 6+ invul that the rules allow. that should help you out the most ;D
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 20:40   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Meh. That Flyrant can get 4+ cover saves easily enough. So does that tyrant with guard with even just a few gaunts around. that can get annoying.

Focus on one MC at a time. What army do you use? that would help a LOT.
Lord Alliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 11:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to whitestar333

I've had to remind people that MCs don't get cover saves very easily. They don't claim cover saves from intervening models like other units as they claim cover the same way as a vehicle which also means that they don't claim cover saves from being inside area terrain. The only get cover when 50%+ of their facing side is covered.
whitestar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 03:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well I can beat his army with ease using my tau as I play railgun heavy against him, but its my Guard and Blood angels that keep getting killed. Also he tells me that any Nid outside of Synapse just lurks and can fire that turn, and isn't required to make any leadership roles or ever fall back.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 06:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_drummer_boi
Well I can beat his army with ease using my tau as I play railgun heavy against him, but its my Guard and Blood angels that keep getting killed. Also he tells me that any Nid outside of Synapse just lurks and can fire that turn, and isn't required to make any leadership roles or ever fall back.
That only partly true.

A brood (unit) WITHIN synapse range never fall back, and automatically pass any Leadership tests other than psychic tests. If a brood is falling back and enters synapse, it automatically rallies when the time comes, regardless of restrictions (even if below half, for exampl). A brood in synapse is also not affected by the Instant Death rule. Rippers are the exception, as they are not affected by Synapse, as are Spore Mines (which move randomly).

So those are the benefits of synapse... now to the downsides:

Synapse range is 12", and outside of synapse all of those benefits are lost - broods must take leadership tests normally, and can be affected by Instant Death. In addition, if the brood is not Fearless, falling back, or in combat, it reverts to Instinctive Behavior (except for Genestealers).

Instinctive Behavior only requires a test if the brood attempts to move. Failure will result in falling back - and falling back (for any reason) is always towards the nearest synapse creature, if possible - so gaunts can potentially 'fall back' towards your army!

Alternatively, instead of moving, the brood will then Lurk, which requires no test. When lurking, the brood can not move, but may fire normally, and gains +1 to their cover save (if they have one). Also not that a lurking brood doesn't count as scoring (can't claim objectives/table quarters) - in other words, outside of Synapse, unless the brood makes a leadership test, it isn't scoring!