Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How Many Gaunts To A Warrior?
Old 28 Aug 2008, 18:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default How Many Gaunts To A Warrior?

Hello.

My 750 point army uses 2 Carnifexes (one with a Twinlinked BS and Enhanced Senses and one with Crushing Claws, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands and Flesh Hooks), 16 Hormagaunts with Flesh Hooks and 7 27-point CC Warriors. Is this too many warriors? I was told that a good ratio is 2 gaunts to a warrior but this seems to severely limit the number of bodies in my army.

Thanks,

-Lord of the Pit
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 22:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How Many Gaunts To A Warrior?

Yeah, that ratio is a little messed up....

If you know what you are doing and can keep your Synapse creatures out of your enemy's sights as much as possible, you should be fine with fewer Warriors.

Personally, I try to have 2 Synapse units at the 500 point level (Warriors and Broodlord), 4 at 1000 points(Broodlord, Warriors, maybe a Tyrant or Zoanthrope) and 6 at 1500 (Tyrant, Broodlord, Warriors and Zoanthropes). You may have more, but there is usually adequate coverage for all your units over the course of the game.

Using something like this should allow you to get more bodies on the table. I would actually knock out one of your Carnifexes if you are looking to get more gaunts/troops into your list.

Hope this helps.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2008, 23:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you rely on something for Synapse, you shouldn't use it for CC.

Maybe ditch the gaunts and some warriors to get the points, and go genestealers. Then synapse isn't required at all, and it merely bolsters your army up.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 06:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

in my experance I always use atleast 3 zonathorpes and a hive tyrant, at 1000 and lower. Than at higher games I add more warriors and a broodlord or another tyrant.

But for a warrior to gaunt ratio as warriors as the only synapse creature than I would do a 10 to one ratio. Or I would say 6 warriors for every 500pts. But another way to look at is if I use 100 gaunts than 10 warriors in a low game would be enough. But in a 2000pt game than I would use more warriors.

Warriors can be easily killed by landspeeders, terminaters, hellhounds, crisis suits, and anything else that has ap4 weapons.
Old 03 Sep 2008, 02:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There is no set ratio. It depends on what type of army you are running and how integral a part your warriors are. I'll demonstarte with a 1000 point blist that I like to play in 4ed but that translates very well to 5ed ( I made a few tweaks ) -

1000 Pts - Tyranids Warrior Roster

HQ

5 Warriors @ 190 Pts
+1 St; +1 In; +1 WS; Scything Talons; Leaping

5 Warriors @ 190 Pts
+1 St; +1 In; +1 WS; Scything Talons; Leaping

Elites

5 Warriors @ 170 Pts
+1 BS; +1 Str; Scything Talons(x5); Deathspitter(x4); Barbed Strangler(x1);

5 Warriors @ 170 Pts
+1 BS; +1 Str; Scything Talons(x5); Deathspitter(x4); Barbed Strangler(x1);

3 Warriors @ 109 Pts
+1 BS; +1 Str; Scything Talons(x3); Deathspitter(x2); Venom Cannon(x1);

Troops

11 Spinegaunt Brood @ 88 Pts
WoN

10 Spinegaunt Brood @ 80 Pts
WoN

Total Roster Cost: 997

10 Deathspitters; 2 Barbed Stranglers; 1 Venom Cannon; 10 cc Warriors; 2 scoring units

Now some will question some of my upgrades like +1BS rather then +1Sv but I need the extra inch more then the save in 5ed ( cover saves are everywhere ). Yes warriors can be killed if you are not careful. They can also take out landspeeders, terminaters, hellhounds, crisis suits, and anything else that has ap4 weapons. It makes for a good fight.

Notice that this list has more warriors then gaunts, lol. Of course this is exaggerated a bit. Most lists are not this warrior heavy ( although it is a very effective army ). You need to decide what you are building your list around. warriors are not there solely for synapse. They can play other very important roles in your lists. Your list is using Warriors as your HQ and as an important part of your overall build. You are troop light with the hormagaunts though. You might find WoN spinegaunts a better choice as they are more likely to be thee at the ned of the game and grab an objective.

bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 18:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have found an excellent balance at the 1500-1850 point level. For every swarm of 20+ gaunts, I run a warrior team 3 strong, equipped with deathspitters. In my regular list, that's 3 swarms and 3 warrior squads taken as elites. That way I can get my gaunts into position and if they have to break up and go different directions, they each bring synapse with them. 3 is my upper limit, however, as I tend to rely on HQ choices for home field synapse and backup, and any more troop choices I like to take scuttlers on.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 12:48   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to reqeim

??? what does CC meen?

It means Close Combat. I would encourage you to read some of the stickes and to check out the Forum Guidelines, requeim. It will help you get acquainted with posting practice and terminology here on Tau Online. PM if you have any other questions. ~77

Tyranid Biology the orky way.... "dis Wormy thing wid a lot of teef is a rippa, wat it called tho?"
reqeim is offline   Reply With Quote