Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Feeder Tendrils
Old 27 Aug 2008, 14:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Feeder Tendrils

Alright, so I am up to speed on the change of preferred enemy, but the rules associated with feeder tendrils still confuse me.

So here is my theoretical squad of genestealers, and their gaunt buddies.

Genestealers (8 of them) are fighting Space Marine Jimmy in combat. One of my genestealers has feeder tendrils, therefore the whole squad gets perferred enemy (for one points ). Gaunts then join combat with Jimmy, within 6 inches of the genestealers. Now they all get the benefits of feeder tendrils.

This doesn't make sense! Someone tell me that that 1 point upgrade doesn't do this (and while your at it tell me what it does do, do all my stealers need feeder tendrils?)

Thanks Much!
Old 27 Aug 2008, 14:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Feeder Tendrils

One of my opponents claimed something much to this effect.

Never got around to checking it out rules-wise though.
I'm usually too trusting on opponent integrity for the most part.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 15:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Everyone in the unit must purchase the same biomorph.
Feeder tendrils give favored enemies to tyranid units within range.

Sidenote, I find it acceptable that the tendrils are cheap, it reduces the rending "nerf" for the genestealers.
That and the tentacle goodness, got to love those tentacles ^^

"One thing about programming, is to make everything boring... You don't want a 100 tonne turbine to get exiting"
GeorgeCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 15:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Er, you're kinda there but not quite...

First of all, you cannot have just "1" genestealer upgraded with feeder tendrils. The whole Brood must be upgraded, so in your example all 8 genestealers would have to be upgraded with feeder tendrils instead of one guy. The easiest way to get around this, I find, is using a Broodlord with feeder tendrils.

Now, feeder tendrils don't only affect the base model: Any other model in a unit that has someone with feeder tendrils gets preferred enemy. Generally, the only real way to do this is having a Broodlord with feeder tendrils followed by a normal retinue. Regardless, it's not a big deal. Now then, the effective range is also much shorter than you would imagine; it's only 2". Therefore, unless the gaunts had a guy within two inches of your genestealer unit, they would get no benefit. Lictors are usually good for a "support role" like this, joining combat with broods of gaunts to make your lowly troops far better. Sometimes, it's actually better to leave the Lictor behind the gaunts in combat.... they still get the bonus, your Lictor can't be attacked in combat, and if he gets shot at next turn you have a hefty 2+ cover save from the combat he's behind!

If you read the definition for feeder tendrils in the codex, and the genestealer/broodlord page, you'll get a much better understanding of the uses of feede tendrils.

EDIT: Drat, Ninja'd :P Tendrils are a pretty cheap and viable upgrade, but I still like saving points with my broodlord by putting the upgrade on him and not his squad.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 18:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks guys, I must now commence an inquisition into the opponent who displayed the single feeder tendril stealer that inspired this thread!
Old 27 Aug 2008, 20:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
Thanks guys, I must now commence an inquisition into the opponent who displayed the single feeder tendril stealer that inspired this thread!
Unless it was a Broodlord. That can be equipped differently from its retinue.

Overall, I don't think that it is a cheesy biomorph. It is definitely one that a savvy Tyranid player needs to use in 5th ed. The 2" distance basically makes it like a "leader beast" is able to impart some knowledge of their foe as long as they are with the unit (coincidentally it is the same range as an IC being attached to a unit).

I would ensure that the Tyranid player that you are facing is equipping whole broods of Genestealers in a uniform way.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 02:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to whitestar333

While feeder tendrils are a really cheap upgrade for genestealers, you can EITHER give them tendrils OR flesh hooks. With the new rules regarding charging into cover, and flesh hooks allowing us to strike in initiative order, I actually think feeder tendrils vs. flesh hooks are actually pretty equal in effectiveness unless what you're fighting is I6 or better (which we know is rare). I'd personally rather kill more of my opponent first, and I think that'd cause more damage and save me from damage than tendrils would provide.

That being said, yeah you can give tendrils AND flesh hooks to a broodlord, but the broodlord has always been a bit overpriced in my mind considering the lack of invulnerable save anyway. Either way, you will only ever have ONE unit of genestealers so powerful, and every army is allowed one super powerful unit ;-) It seems that with new(er) codices, GW is realizing that while points balance armies, so does the force org chart.
whitestar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 15:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My approach, when not using a Broodlord, is to have one unit with Flesh Hooks and one with Feeder Tendrils. The one's with Flesh Hooks will usually be the Broodlord's Retinue is he deigns to turn up. I love Feeder Tendrils. I love the look on my opponent's face when I roll 32 dice, only to pick up the 10 or so that missed and roll them again. That'll be 5 or so rending hits then!

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 15:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I just don't think I can afford two broods of Genestealers in a standard list (along with other troops etc.).
Old 31 Aug 2008, 15:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I thought the range on yhe tendrils was 3" instead of 2.

Also why whould you give fleshhooks to a broodlord anyway. Without anymore upgrades he will have int6 if he attacks in cover.

With the new attck in cover rules. Why take fleshooks if you're int 6 or higher. Most things in the game is between int 3 and 4.