Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Feeder Tentacles
Old 20 Aug 2008, 05:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Feeder Tentacles

Ok. I've read the preferred enemy rule a few times and I'm getting confused with what is being said what it can do. In the book it says you can re-roll if need be. But people are saying you can re-roll misses. If it's re-roll misses than I'll remodel my genestealers. If it's re-roll again than that means I may get a worst result by re-rolling again.

I just want to know because re-rolling misses is good. Rerolling your result is ok and only works if you roll really bad.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 06:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Feeder Tentacles

You only re roll when you miss when rolling to hit. For example if you roll 5 dice and three hit, then you re roll the two dice that missed, if one of those two dice miss again you do not get to re roll that dice. Hope that helps
Old 20 Aug 2008, 10:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

As it says "can always re-roll their rolls to hit in close combat against their preffered enemy" I would take the word "can" and the lack of the word "all" between the words "re-roll" and "their" to mean that it is optional and can be applied to any rolls, so you can re-roll the hits if you want to but don't have to.

Glad to see the tendrils catching on.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 16:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just making sure. That's a lot of remodeling and I want to make sure before I start chopping heads off.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 17:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Personally, I find putting them on genestealers rather expensive... you're better off sticking them on a Broodlord and taking a few lictors for support, if you keep them close to your other Broods they all get the reroll benefit.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 09:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In forth ed. they rocked - hitting on 4's mostly, and re-rolling the failed for rending higher probabilities.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 15:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
Personally, I find putting them on genestealers rather expensive... you're better off sticking them on a Broodlord and taking a few lictors for support, if you keep them close to your other Broods they all get the reroll benefit.
This is a more cost effective approach that will give the same effect. Some players may have problems with that kind of collaboration between units though.

In 4th ed., I have been able to bolster whole units of gaunts because of a Lictor that is with them in CC. Hitting WS 5 models on 3's was a really cool thing. I personally feel that the re-roll is better in 5th ed. and that Tyranid players should take more advantage of the biomorph. The easiest way is to take a whole brood, but that get pricey.

I would recommend what sionnach19 has said and look to coordinate your attacks with a Broodlord or Lictor. Considering that you get FT free with your Lictors, use them as a support for broods that you want to be that much better in CC.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 18:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar face

In forth ed. they rocked - hitting on 4's mostly, and re-rolling the failed for rending higher probabilities.

Err...

Most units are WS 4 or less so genestealers hit them on 3s.

Very few things have a stealer's WS, not even SM captains. The only ones I can think of are Autarchs, Phoenix Lords, Archons and possibly Dracons

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 18:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, ok, but still...
Old 23 Sep 2008, 00:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ok I might just should had put this in general topics cause it deals more with preferred enemy. I already had this topic open and have new information to bring to light. I hope this won't be concedered to be grave robbing also I'm gonna quote and refer to pages this time.

Ok the debate again is do preferred enemy aka feedler tendrils actually alow you to.

A. Re-roll all hits that failed to hit.

B. re-roll all hits that even if you hit you have to re-roll that as well. Ok I might refer to both chaos books and the orc books due to the fact 5th edition was taken into concideration.

Pg 2 of the main book states. " IN SOME SITUATIONS THE RULES ALLOW YOU A 'RE-ROLL' OF THE DICE. THIS IS EXACTLY AS IT SOUNDS - PICK UP THE DICE YOU WISH TO RE-ROLL AND ROLL THEM AGAIN. THE SECOND SCORE COUNTS, EVEN IF IT MEANS A WORSE RESULT THAN THE FIRST, AND NO SINGLE DICE CAN BE RE-ROLLED MORE THAN ONCE REGARDLESS OF THE SOURCE OF THE RE-ROLL. If you re-roll a 2d6 or 3d6 roll, you must re-roll all of the dice and not just some of them, UNLESS THE RULE GRANTING YOU THE RE-ROLL EXPLICITLY SPECIFIES OTHERWISE ."

Ok so from going from the above quote from page 2 5th edition Book you can only re-roll misses if there is a special rule stating as such.

Ok on page 75 it states the rules of preferred enemy which means " SUCH TROOPS CAN ALWAYS RE-ROLL THEIR ROLLS TO HIT IN CLOSE COMBAT AGAINST THEIR PREFERRED ENEMY."

Ok going from the top. I get if I roll 6 dice and only get 2 hits. I re-roll all 6 dice and keep the next resault if for better or for worst. But I don't see where people get re-roll misses. Which means you roll 6 dice. You got 2 hits. You re-roll the 4 dice you miss with so you got 4hits.

No where in preferred enemy it states this. I'm gonna quote other rules that actually state it.

The tyranid codex was written for 4th in mind but it does have a rule in there worth pointing out.

pg. 28 tyranid codex
Living Ammuntion-" ANY FAILED ROLL TO WOUND MADE BY A WEAPON WITH LIVING AMMUNTION MAY BE RE-ROLLED"

PG. 32 Tyranid Codex
Acid Maw- "A CREATURE WITH AN ACID MAW MAY REROLL UNSUCCESSFUL ROLLS TO WOUND IN THE FIRST ROUND OF COMBAT."

I play nids so I would like to re-roll miswounds but alas wish you can. If you gonna say yes you can please back up what you saying via faq, or offical games workshop response by quoting it and telling me where or how you find where you got your information.

The only plus side is that it doesn't say all like warptime. But than you look at page 2 it states it would tell you could re-roll misses like a master crafted weapon.

Honestly if they was specific like in the other two examples why be vague with a general rule like that. It mostly affects nids mostly. So I would like to win fairly. Cause this will tell me if I should lay a lictor or not.