Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I'm thinking about trading my Tau in for Nids can i get some advice
Old 20 Aug 2008, 01:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default I'm thinking about trading my Tau in for Nids can i get some advice

Hey all how are you all doing? I started playing warhammer 40k about 3 months ago however I think i started out with the wrong army. I started building tau and have around 2700 points worth of them now full assembled and painted. However I seem to be having constant problems and getting my butt handed to me. I been looking around and it seems like the nids would be a better all around army compared to tau
Old 20 Aug 2008, 06:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: I'm thinking about trading my Tau in for Nids can i get some advice

Wow cool. Tau was my first army and Tyranids is my 3rd army.

First off by me playing Tau which I won only 65% of the time and with nids I played like 30 games and only lost once so far..

Well let me break this down for you the best that I can..

HQ-
Well you have the winged hive tyrant with two scything talons which is my fav and very deadly. With the new rules it's harder to keep him alive so I hide him behind a carnifex.

I personaly like another tyrant with twin deathspitters and a venom cannon. This gives you 1 str 7 shot and 3 str 8 shots..

Again considering the new rules. A brood lord is better due to the fact it can attack from any side of the board..

I almost forgot to mention I like the warp blast option on my tyrant rather than warp field. Warp field is good at making your flyrant harder to kill. But, even without it he is still hard to kill. With warp blast it gives you a solid range option that is anti-tank and anti-marines. Also with deep strike you can surprise a vehicle and take it out. Also this power is almost like a slighly weaker railgun with shorter range.

elites-
This is a hard and lengthy subject so I'll be brief.

-Carnifex-
My old tau ways prefer the dual twin-linked devourers on these guys. Against troops it re-rolls hits and wounds. Plus more than likely wounding troops on 2s costing around the same price as two crisis suits and I forgot to mention it shoots 8 times. Also in a pinch it can take out light vehicles.

-Lictors-
80 pts for what it does for me is not worth it. Against T3,S3 soldiers than I'll suggest bring it. Other than that I rather take warriors.

-warriors-
These guys to me is very similar to crisis suits in the weapon choices and their support role to your troops. With the new rules you can hide them behind your troops and get a 4+save which saves points. I perfer using deathspitters with these guys. Fist of bs doesn't matter as much with blast weapons. Now that they scatter I don't twin link them anymore saving more points. Grant it that your opponents will get a +4 save too but hell most people play marines anyway. For the hvy slot I recommend that you use the str upgrade with the barbes strangler. With the warriors you can commence with pie plate death. As a secondary weapon I'll go scything over rending due to the rending nurf.

-troops-
-genestealers-
with the new rules it's easier to target and kill these guys. It's well worth to run atleast squads of 10 with the scuttle ability. You will be able to come from the sides and force your opponet to bunch up his troops and ensure templet death by the warriors.

-gaunts-
spine, devourers, fleshborer, or homagaunts. My fav is the flesh gaunts. 1 they are the most effective for their point cost against marine armies. 2 they can take out light vehicles well the others can't at a distance. 3 second cheapest scoring unit. The thing that hurts these guys is that if you lose combat you'll lose a lot of these guys.

-swarms-
they are better due to the run rule. But seriously they hurt you cause cheap units give your opponents more kps also they're not a scoring unit as well.

-fast-
-ravengers-
You have genestealers so I wouldn't take these guys. Genestealers can take objectives and ravengers cann't.

-gargoyles-
I like them but gaunts are cheaper and can take objectives.

-spore mines-
Helps with templet death. But I may be wrong but you giving your opponent kps.

-heavy-
-biovores-
Better now but not as good as the other hvy choices.

-zonathorpes-
Basically your broad sides. I'll give them warp blast and synapse. For the point cost they are worth their points. They keep your troops together. Great anti-tank and anti-marine. With the new rules you can get a +4 cover save. But with warp blast you may have to make a hole to shoot through doing the shooting phase.

-carnifex-
Well there is the Godfex which can get into combat a lot faster now. Or my fav is the barbed strangler and venom canon fex. Yes venom cannon is str 10 and is nerfed but it still alows you to keep vehicles like the exorcist from shooting at you. Also it is an anti-troop platform with the barbed strangler.

With the new rules and how I set my army up. I have more dakka than the tau. I have to get closer but I have beaten tau by shooting them to death.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 14:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey Drax,
I have similar problems with Tau and victory fitting into one sentence. So I started looking around the room at who was cackling the most at their enemies' misfortune. A couple nid players were in stitches because a small brood of hormagaunts just wrecked two squads of fire warriors...

I though it strange that you would do this trade as I recently did a similar trade. Since you have 2700 points of Tau (I might have had something close) when trading you may want to trade off things that weren't working in your Tau army. For example, when I traded for my nids, I got rid of my helios crisis team, part of my stealth team, a squad of fire warriors and a piranha. Now I have a more focussed Tau army plus I have the beginnings of a nid swarm. (In fact now that I rethought what I wanted my tau army to be, it reforms better without extra choices to clutter the list!)

Anyways, its your choice whether or not to keep the blue skin's; personally I haven't looked back. They may be polar opposites, but if Tau are equated to losing, I would prefer the opposite .
Old 20 Aug 2008, 18:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oh. I thought you gonna keep your tau. My tau army hits about 10,000 pts.

1 oshava
2 aunshi
2 anglar pok
2 forge world commanders
120 kroot
72 fire warriors
10 krootox
22 kroot hounds
12 stealth suits
22 crisis suits
7 broadsides
6 transports
3 hammer heads
16 pathfinders
10 vespids
9 sniper drones
3 drone controlers
60 drones
10 shield drones
2 attack drones
6 pathfinder snipers

That is all my tau. I still play tau and play tyranids. I use the nids for a change up. Especially for those who do the anti tau set up. Any way I think you should keep your tau and build yourself a nid army.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 20:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I recommend keeping tau. My first army was 'nids, then eldar, then tau...

I've got

Tyrant
2 guard
Broodlord
3 warriors
Lictor
8 stealers
6 stealers
10 termagaunts
8 devilgaunts (rubbish >)
8 hormagaunts
2 raveners
Carnifex
biovore
zoanthrope.
6 stealers
Old 21 Aug 2008, 03:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I ended up keeping my tau, i actually found a very nice painted Nid army over 3k in points for 400 bux, I went with a friend who was a experienced nid player and advised me this was a great buy. So i picked them up. the other cool part i learned about my nid army is the fact there all magnetic, and there case is a metal tool box haha. also thank you all for your suggestions, on making a nid list.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 14:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Your welcome, glad everything worked out!
Old 21 Aug 2008, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

list what you got and we can help generate a list for you.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 00:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok i will!!

I have 1 wing hive tyrant
1x red eye,
2x bivores
1x carniflex
3x ravagers
x2 lictor
x12 warriors
x1 shooty hive tyrant with scything claws
x25 gene stealers
61x gaunts
also he did some custom stuff like ther are these guys they look like warriors however they have this sheild which i cant find in the codex, and the last wip thing. also he made a mini hive tyrant from what it looks like with wings, it has a guants body and the head of a hive tyrant and some bat like wings so i'm trying to figure out what he is. any way. any help on a list would be great
Old 22 Aug 2008, 03:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The guy with the shield is a tyrant guard. The gaunt with wings is a gargoyle. What guns does the tyrant have and how is the carnifex equiped. Also how much money you're willing to spend on a few more models. Also how many of the gargoyle models do you have.

Almost forgot. What type of gaunts do you have as well.

It looks like you have a decent army already. I personaly think you should run 3 zonathorpes and atleast 2 carnifex s.

Biovores should be better in 5th. But at the same time they didn't work for me due to me missing and their poor survivabilty. But they may work for you. If you use them you will need spore mines. The acid ones to me is the best due to being anti-marine and anti-vehicle.