Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

rending/strength
Old 23 May 2007, 13:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default rending/strength

just a quick question that popped up recently - we couldnt find a definative answer to it......

if i score a rending hit (with any rending weapon), is the wound it causes at the same strength value as the creature/weapon that caused it??

i'm thinking of giving my hive tyrant/carnifex's some rending but if they dont still get their strength bonus for it i wont bother

also - the bio-plasma attack does not benefit from "monstrous creature", does it benefit from rending
Old 23 May 2007, 14:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: rending/strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico
just a quick question that popped up recently - we couldnt find a definative answer to it......

if i score a rending hit (with any rending weapon), is the wound it causes at the same strength value as the creature/weapon that caused it??

i'm thinking of giving my hive tyrant/carnifex's some rending but if they dont still get their strength bonus for it i wont bother
it really on matters with vehicles:
when you get a rending hit against a model with wounds, you get it on the "to hit" part of the rolling sequence and it bypasses the "to wound" and the "armor save" portions of the roll sequence entirely. Strength does not come into question at all.

when you get a rending hit against a vehicle model, you get it on the "armor penetration" portion of the rolling sequence, and you add your strength, the 6 you just rolled and an additional d6 for penetration.

Monstrous creatures do NOT need rending because:
all wounds they cause in assault (except bioplasma) ignore armor saves
all hits on vehicles already get Str +2d6 armor penetration.

Quote:
also - the bio-plasma attack does not benefit from "monstrous creature", does it benefit from rending
No. it is a special attack outside of the regular creature's attacks. it doesn't benefit from any of the model's other abilities.
Old 23 May 2007, 14:06   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

A rending hit in combat, against infantry, is an automatic wound with no armour save permitted.

Reding against vehicles works like this: Roll to hit (if necessary), roll all hits. Any 6's are Rending hits. Now you have that 6 plus your strength value. For example we'll say this gives you 10. Then you roll another D6 and add the value to your previous total. So let's say you roll a 4. That 4 gets added to the 10, giving you 14. That is your armour penetration roll against vehicles. Then you roll to damage as normal on the corresponding table.

As for monstrous creatures, it's really not worth giving them Rending Claws as they get 2D6 + strength for armour penetration, and they ignore armour anyway.

Also, bio-plasma, as stated by striogi, doesn't benefit from the Monstrous Creature or Rending rule. But would it benefit from the Implant Attack rule I wonder? ???

Hope this helps.
Mkoll.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Scout Sergeant Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 14:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Rending attacks from a monstrous creature benefit from its strength value. I assume you're asking because of instant death purposes? It could actually be quite fun to take a carnifex with toxin sacs, crushing claws, and rending claws. Roll a 6 to hit and blow up an enemy character!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 14:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Rending attacks from a monstrous creature benefit from its strength value. I assume you're asking because of instant death purposes? It could actually be quite fun to take a carnifex with toxin sacs, crushing claws, and rending claws. Roll a 6 to hit and blow up an enemy character!
yeah thats what i was after

i completely suck at rolling 2+ so i wouldnt mind t he extra chance of wounding without bothering to roll (ie - i get a 6 to hit)

i just wondered if my carnifex would instant-kill a character with rending (and my hive tyrant instant kill a T3 model with it).

and as a fun RAW butcher question - where does it say bio-plasma doesnt benefit from rending
Old 23 May 2007, 15:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Too bad Carnifex can't have Rending Claws.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 15:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Sergeant Mkoll
A rending hit in combat, against infantry, is an automatic wound with no armour save permitted.
This is inaccurate: a rending hit in assault works against ANY model that has WOUNDS. there are several models that have wounds that are not classified as infantry. Bikes, jetbikes, any monstrous creature, etc.

Quote:
Rending against vehicles works like this: Roll to hit (if necessary), roll all hits. Any 6's are Rending hits. Now you have that 6 plus your strength value. For example we'll say this gives you 10. Then you roll another D6 and add the value to your previous total. So let's say you roll a 4. That 4 gets added to the 10, giving you 14. That is your armour penetration roll against vehicles. Then you roll to damage as normal on the corresponding table.
at first I thought this was incorrect, but now (after reading it 3 times) I see it's just confusing.
for clarity's sake (against vehicles)
1. Roll to hit vehicles if necessary
2. Roll armor penetration on 1 die per hit.
2a. if you roll less than 6, add this to your strength and that is your armor penetration roll
2b. if you roll 6, then add the 6 to your strength and add another d6 of strength to the armor penetration roll.

Quote:
Also, bio-plasma, as stated by striogi, doesn't benefit from the Monstrous Creature or Rending rule. But would it benefit from the Implant Attack rule I wonder? ???
No, it doesn't. If it doesn't benefit from MC or Rending rules, what makes you think a bio-electric spit-wad would benefit from extra poison in the creature's stingers?

Old 23 May 2007, 16:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by striogi
No, it doesn't. If it doesn't benefit from MC or Rending rules, what makes you think a bio-electric spit-wad would benefit from extra poison in the creature's stingers?
From the way Implant Attack is worded, it cannot be used with Bio-plasma. "...have no effect on wounds caused by bio-plasma."

However, it would also not benefit from Rending, as the creature is not using it's weapons to attack with. Bio-plasma is a separate, independent weapon. Think of it like that.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 17:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant Chrysaor
Too bad Carnifex can't have Rending Claws.
Actually they can.

Something to note is that you can get an Elite Carnifex for 114 points that has Crushing Claws, Rending Claws and Flesh Hooks.

That might be interesting...
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 17:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I thought they could! Glad to know I'm not crazy.

Also the claws from forgeworld would be a great way of representing that, actually I think that's what they recommend they were used for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77
Something to note is that you can get an Elite Carnifex for 114 points that has Crushing Claws, Rending Claws and Flesh Hooks.

That might be interesting...
That actually sounds scarier than a screamer killer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote